Is this possible in real life?

In the mission "Near Gunderen" I shot down some infantry guys with the cannon of the Black Shark over a distance of 3 km.

So my question is whether it is possible to discover infantry men with Shkval over a distance of 3 km and shoot them with the cannon?

Looks not that real to me....

In the mission "Near Gunderen" I shot down some infantry guys with the cannon of the Black Shark over a distance of 3 km.

So my question is whether it is possible to discover infantry men with Shkval over a distance of 3 km and shoot them with the cannon?

Most of the time, infantry progress under cover and not in open terrain. Put your infantry into the woods and ou will see....

The real terrain is also not well modelized into BS. You have woods or nothing !! No Brush, scrub, orchard, ...

Indeed infantry men with camo clothes into the real worl is difficult to detect at 3 Km even with google, binoculars,...

Most of the time, infantry progress under cover and not in open terrain. Put your infantry into the woods and ou will see....

The real terrain is also not well modelized into BS. You have woods or nothing !! No Brush, scrub, orchard, ...

Indeed infantry men with camo clothes into the real worl is difficult to detect at 3 Km even with google, binoculars,...

And what about the canon? Is it that precise?

And what about the canon? Is it that precise?

The Ka-50 has the same gun as the armoured infantry vehicule BMP-2.

You have to make the difference between the maximum range and the effective range of a weapon.

For a 30 mm gun, 3Km is near the maximum range. You can open fire at this distance but only in order to engage multiple "soft" target into a large area.

The chance of hit a specific target like an armoured vehicle decreases quickly rrom 1500 to 3000 m.

Yes, normally aircraft cannons are semi-accurate to about 3.5 miles, but like razor said, you are only likely to cause damage to soft targets which are susceptible to high explosive rounds.

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

The Ka-50 has the same gun as the armoured infantry vehicule BMP-2.

You have to make the difference between the maximum range and the effective range of a weapon.

For a 30 mm gun, 3Km is near the maximum range. You can open fire at this distance but only in order to engage multiple "soft" target into a large area.

The chance of hit a specific target like an armoured vehicle decreases quickly rrom 1500 to 3000 m.

And that is also modelled in Black Shark?

With other words, it is very hard to shoot a armoured vehicle at that distance with the gun?

As they say "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." HE rounds against infantry only requires that you get in the ballpark. AP rounds against a BMP2 is a bit more of an exact thing although the game seems very generous with AP round bounce and AP round damage falloff over distance.

At 2500m+ you will definitely notice the 2A42 struggling to be effective against armor both in hitting power (KE) and in accuracy. You can kill a BMP2 out to long ranges but expect stricter requirements on piloting and to expend more ammo, so yes, 3000m will feel "tough."

30mm rounds will probably fly in excess of 4500m, especially from an airborne platform. Effective range of the AP rounds are cited as 1500m (wiki), but effective range is a vary personal thing, usually something like 50% of rounds fired will strike the probable size of a point target with Y threshold of destructive effect. The reality is a several dimension graph with certainly effective in one area and a smooth blend to completely ineffective in the other. The threshold for "Is effective? Y/Y" is up to the tastes of the user. Also note that you could hit every round from 10 miles away but still lack the necessary punch after traveling that far in which case "effective range" is certainly closer than 10 miles even though accuracy is hardly lacking.

My rule of thumb is not to get inside 2.0 km of anything with a weapon caliber larger than 12.7mm, especially T55 and up MBTs.

My engagements usually progress from using my vikhrs against SAMs and MBTs at 5 miles, using my rockets against lightly armored vehicles from ~3 miles, and using my gun against infantry and transport vehicles when I get closer at around 2.0 miles.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Pyoflash: s/miles/kilometers

As far as the effective range of 30mm cannons, as has already been mentioned, if it's an HE round, as long as the round can fly that far, it can be effective. I have seen tapes from an AH-64 successfully engaging targets as far out as 4500 meters, and the 30mm on the Ka-50 is easily more accurate than the M230 of the AH-64.

As far as rockets go, I only use them with the burst length set to long, and I usually let loose with them at near max range (4km for the S13's, 3km for the S8's I think).

I use the gun effectively to take out ManPads at over 4km (about the range they launch at you) by switching from Auto to Man. I have taken them out at up to 6km, but generally I deal with them at around 4.5 - 5km to keep myself safe and to use less ammo. The AP rounds are more effective due to the richochet effect they have. Against lightly armoured vehicles, I tend to close to around 2.5km or less, especially for HMV's that have a smaller threat zone, to get better effect.

If it is clear land village, for example - why not? But in this case, shooting with HE rounds from such a distance is more like AGS-17 fire, more like cover fire. And wounds are from fragmentation if you catching off guard uncovered troops. In all, such a big and precise cannon is good choice for eliminating light armor and non-armored vehicles at distances up to 2 km. Besides, weather...Especially wind...I don`t know - is there in real heli correction for wind. But even in this situation it is possible to make cover fire.

In game it may be even 3,5 km shooting with AP rounds and low rate of fire at BMP like vehicles when hits are 1 of 10. It`s a waste of ammunition in real life, but in game a way to complete the mission.

I have seen tapes from an AH-64 successfully engaging targets as far out as 4500 meters

And where are this tapes?)

Edited by Hardcore

I was an M1A1 gunner in the Army, I didn't see any combat.

At any rate, during gunnery, Tank Table VIII, we had engagments that involved troops that were up to 6km away and since our SOP was thermos 24/7 we seen them that far away.

So I'm thinking its realistic, unless you were not using any TIS help, then yeah it might be a bit out there.

If you want peace, prepare for war....

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM