Low fps while using MFD with Mavericks etc need tips

Kaptein_Damli

Would like to confirm what settings you guys are using for the following:

Cockpit display resolution=256

Scenes=tweaked, see extract of graphic.cfg below

Visibiliy=Low

Shadows=Just my own plane

AA/AF video card settings=2X AA, no AF, ATI 4670 1GB DDR3.

Extracts from the graphics.cfg:

}

Camera

{

current = "Medium";

Low

{

near_clip = 0.2;

middle_clip = 5;

far_clip = 140000;

structures = {30, 2000};

trees = {1000, 3000};

dynamic = {300, 20000};

objects = {3000, 80000};

mirage = {3000, 20000};

surface = {10000, 50000};

lights = {50, 10000};

lodMult = 1;

lodAdd = 100;

}

Medium

{

near_clip = 0.2;

middle_clip = 5;

far_clip = 80000;

structures = {40, 5000};

trees = {1000, 10000};

dynamic = {300, 8000};

objects = {10000, 15000};

mirage = {1000, 15000};

surface = {5000, 20000};

lights = {100, 20000};

lodMult = 1.5;

lodAdd = 0;

}

High

{

near_clip = 0.2;

middle_clip = 5;

far_clip = 60000;

structures = {60, 6000};

trees = {1000, 9000};

dynamic = {300, 20000};

objects = {5000, 80000};

mirage = {3000, 20000};

surface = {20000, 80000};

lights = {200, 80000};

lodMult = 1.5;

lodAdd = 0;

}

}

ShadowLevel = 1;

LightsLevel = 0;

MirrorsLevel = 0;

TextureLevel = 2;

WaterQuality = 0;

FogQuality = 1;

SceneFile = "medium";

TextureCollections

My moviemaking channel at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertDamli

Thanks Kameil. For shadows, there is no setting for "just my own plane." Can you please verify your setting? The reason I ask is because on "All Planar" and "Full" setting, all objects cast shadows. On "Active Planar", only active objects do. Buildings and trees do not and this may help with FPS when rendering terrain.

Would like to get more feedback from others.

Thanks again.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Cockpit display resolution: 512

Scenes: medium

Visibiliy: medium

Shadows: active planar

AA/AF video card settings: 4X/8X

No such dramatic slowdowns as I explained here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=864267&postcount=9

I guess such some people slowdowns are a combination of having mirrors on, shadows full, scenes full, etc and not having Vista or W7.

Edited by Distiler

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

AA/AF video card settings: 4X/8X

No such dramatic slowdowns as I explained here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=864267&postcount=9

I guess such some people slowdowns are a combination of having mirrors on, shadows full, scenes full, etc and not having Vista or W7.

FPS drop from 30 to 15 FPS in quick batt. with Su25T.

AA/AF video card settings: 2X/4X

Mirrors off, Win7-64bit

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

Su-25T

Cockpit display resolution: 256

Scenes: high

Visibiliy: high

Shadows: full

drops fps from 50 to 10

Cockpit display resolution: 256

Scenes: low

Visibiliy: low

drops fps from 70 to 20-25 (but what is the pleasure of playing in low details, when the games works excellent and fast wihtout Shkval). I must change the airplane :smilewink: , but I love Su-25T (please, do something with fps problem)

When the Shkval have to show a long distance of terrain (Visibiliy setting to low don`t help) and objects, the game slow down dramatically.

Best regards!

Salute!

Unfortunately I have the same problem with Su-25T ...

In the Quick start mission, I have 50-60 FPS average ...

If I switch on Skhval it's fall down to max 15-35 FPS (Depending on the terrain ...)

Cockpit Display resolution: 512

Scenes: High

Visibility: High

Shadows: Active Planar

1680x1050

AA: 4S Combined (nvidia)

AF: 16x

Mirrors OFF.

(Amd Phenom II X4, GTX275, 4GB DDR3)

I will made some test without AA and smaller cockpit disp. resolution.

Cont:

Without AA and AF:

Cockpit Display resolution: 256

Scenes: Low

Visibility: Low

Shadows: Active Planar

Still the same ... I can gain some FPS, but the min FPS is always around 15-20 :(

Please fix it :)

(BTW .. I LOVE this game :) )

Edited by DummyBoy

Scenes: high

Visibiliy: high

Shadows: full

AA/AF video card settings: 4X/4X

Mirrors off, Win7-64bi

From 60fps to 20fps makes the T-Frog unplayable for me T_T

I barely notice the drop in the A-10 with Mavs though.

Scenes: High

Vis: Med

Shadows: Full

Mirrors On

1900x1200

Settings are the same as BS EXCEPT that in BS I use a 512 pit and in FC2, its 256.

In BS I get very little FPS drop with the shkval. With the above settings BS runs extremely well. FC 2 on the other hand is a major disappointment...

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

Btw, how can you disable the cockpit scratches and the reflectrions? There is no option for it anylonger and the options.lua has the reflections altready disabled, but with no effect. Disabling the reflections raised the fps quite a bit in the older LockOn.

Well as a test I have I changed my graphics.cfg to match the MEDIUM visibility and LOD values with Black Shark. I then pasted the Battle Mission from BS to FC 2 and added a Su-25T. "Battle" is to me the best stress test for Black Shark so it seemed to make a fair test. Framerates were identical. However, the FC 2 shkval has a wider FOV than the Ka50 at its widest setting. Thus the difference (I guess). If I avoid that widest setting things are ok. Otherwise, it is a slideshow.

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

Btw, how can you disable the cockpit scratches and the reflectrions? There is no option for it anylonger and the options.lua has the reflections altready disabled, but with no effect. Disabling the reflections raised the fps quite a bit in the older LockOn.

Frazer states elsewhere in the forum that he recalled no change when scratches were removed with Black Shark. Its reasonable to suppose that the same would be true of FC 2.

Smokin' Hole

And what about the reflections? There is a line in the options.lua without any effect.

Btw, disabling the haze in the options.lua causes a weird looking terrain. I noticed that the game doesn't load all the highres textures when haze is disabled. That's strange, as haze should have nothing to do with the textures.

Edited by John Banks

Thanks Kameil. For shadows, there is no setting for "just my own plane." Can you please verify your setting? The reason I ask is because on "All Planar" and "Full" setting, all objects cast shadows. On "Active Planar", only active objects do. Buildings and trees do not and this may help with FPS when rendering terrain.

Would like to get more feedback from others.

Thanks again.

Oh, sorry, I meant to say active planar, just forgot what it was called! :)

I am also curious about this happens mostly with ATI or Nvidia?

Wags: What file contains the information about the MFD? There must be some kind of numbers etc we can adjust? Other than setting cockpit setting from 1024, 512 and 256, is there no other place we can tweak the MFD? What about adding 64 as an option or something? Maybe limit the max field of view? Like if you slew it over a big city, you will only see like 20km or something? Maybe adding "fog" or just grayness so it keep fps up? Not sure how you program this feature, I am sure you guys will fix this! I think why it´s more noticeable in the frog is due to the advanced FM taking up a lot of cpu resources, so you will have little left for the MFD. A10 has a simpler FM making more resources for the MFD.

The only thing we can suggest for now is to simply switch to the middle FoV setting on the Su-25T as soon as you uncage the Shkval. Unlike the Ka-50, which only has 2 magnification settings for the Shkval, the Su-25T has three and the widest one, which is automatically selected when you uncage the system, causes the FPS drop. You should see your FPS return to normal (or close) when you select 8x magnification.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Forum Rules

Su25T and A10 useless over large cities due to very low performace?

Hello guys,

I have recently bought FC2 and I was saddened by the very low performance I am having over larger cities when using the optical sensors of the Su25T and Tv guided Mavericks over larger urban areas.

I get astronomical performance hits when using the Shkval over large cities and I get large fps drops when using the maverick.

When using the Su25T, I get from 60 to 17 and when using the TV-guided Maverick, I get from 60 to 33. The maverick is still usable, but for the Shkval renders it useless over larger urban areas.

When using the Thermal-guided Mavericks the performance hit is very low. I usually drop from 60 to around 50.

Down bellow I am sending my game configuration, and screen shots to further exemplify the problem.

I don't have an excellent system, but should definitively suffice to run FC2 at good graphical quality and with stable fps.

My system is:

Phenom X4 955 @3.7GHz

4GB DDR3

Radeon 5850 @775MHz and @1125MHz

Like I said, it should definitely suffice to run it adequately and without such huge performance drops.

launcher201004050119390.jpg

This is the area where I decided to test. It's the same place where we fly the Su25T quick start mission. I simply set clear skies.

launcher201004050118380.jpg

In the Quick Start Mission, we have clouds, which also pose a significant performance hit when compared to clear skies.

simulator20100405010825.jpg

simulator20100405010902.jpg

Under clear skies I get a significant performance boost.

simulator20100405011730.jpg

But as soon as the Shkval is turned on fps plummet to the teens much

simulator20100405011750.jpg

Same location viewed from the A10

simulator20100405011207.jpg

Now with the TV Guided Maverick selected

simulator20100405011234.jpg

Now with the IR Guided Maverick

simulator20100405011539.jpg

>>Summing it up:

The Shkval makes the SU25T only usable over moderately populated areas and practically useless over heally populated ones. The TV-Guided Maverick poses a significant fps loss, but not as severe as the Shkval. The IR-Guided ones pose the smallest fps loss.

Setting cloud cover of almost any kind will eat up a good chuck off of your fps.

>>Suggestions and or Advices for future patches and or Tweaks:

Couldn't something be done to alter the way the game renders cities over the TV Displays on the A10 and Su25T?

Couldn't clouds be made more fps friendly?

Please - and I beg you for that - don't ask me to reduce this or that setting to low or to turn a bunch of things off. It makes absolutely no sense that this game cannot be run with the system I am running it with.

If absolutely nothing can be done, and if all of these problems were indeed thoroughly analyzed during all the beta testing from ED, then what kind of system did you guys have in mind so to run this game smoothly over largely populated areas? Does this system exist? Will it ever exist?

I really don't want to sound too bitter, but I am very disappointed with the game performance I am having.

Thanks for reading and thank you very much for any feedback.

• Like 1

We are looking into the issue, but for right now all we can say is that the heavy FPS reduction with the Shkval is due to the low magnification factor on the initial setting when uncaging the sensor. The simplest solution at this point is to immediately switch to the middle FoV setting of 8x.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Forum Rules

dok_rp, have you compared the performance hit when reducing the "Resolution of cockpit displays" setting to 512 or 256?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The forum has already a long thread about this.

My first advise is to set scenes to medium (it's the number of tress and buildings, major perfomance hit in large cities). Any way, many servers force scenes at medium so you'll be flying this setting a lot regardless you have at high or not (just two graphic settings are forced by server, scenes and civ traffic, others are clientside).

Edited by Distiler

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

I've always hated the FPS drop when using the TV in the frog. Zooming in to reduce the FPS hit is all well and good... but it makes it useless for scanning and area for threats. To be honest, that rig used by the OP should laugh at FC... seriously! Shows how old the engine is now, and relatively speaking how badly optimized parts of it are. I really hope these issues are addressed for when the A-10 comes out. If not, I will be really disappointed. I'm no software engineer so I don't know jack s**t about programming, but I shouldn't think its a too big a problem to get by if they tried.