Directional Airfield Icon Mod

TekaTeka

This mod is LoMan 2.1 compatible and can be installed over Lock On 1.1 and 1.02

You can download it from here(LockonSkins.com).

The airfield icon will have an arrow shaped sign on it. And you will be able to tell which way you take off or land by ILS. I think this is useful when you edit your missions or you are lost direction in flight.

iconsample5cm.jpg

Note : Sochi-Adler Airfield has the opposite approach direction against the icon.

If the following wind is 4m/s(13ft/s) or above, the direction will be the other way.

I also made an approach guide diagram. This will be installed into 'Doc' folder as 'ApproachGuide.jpg'.

approachguide1zl.th.jpg

I hope you like it.

• Like 1

TekaTeka from Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Visit my site Beyond Visual Range.

The airfield icon will have an arrow shaped sign on it. And you will be able to tell which way you take off or land by ILS. I think this is useful when you edit your missions or you are lost direction in flight.

Don't know if this is something you can include in your mod or not. The Su-25T HUD displays the number code for the airbase you have selected in the Return and Landing modes. Here are two maps I made to include in an upcoming Su-25T tutorial: Crimea/Caucasus Airbase Maps. They include the airbase name along with its code number and altitude and heading info for the main runway. The bases are listed in order of the number codes 1-21.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I also made an approach guide diagram.

Hey, thanks for this! I was wondering about those approach points for programming waypoints in my dynamic campaign. A few questions -

(1) Are the player waypoint altitudes measured above sea level, or ground level?

(2) What is the altitude of the AI approach start?

(3) If the wind is in the opposite direction, does the AI still turn right toward the airport?

(4) Are the distances really measured from the runway threshold, or from its center (icon)? i.e. what happens to these distances if the runway is shorter?

-SK

Wind direction WILL decide wich runway to take.

Believe me, if you set wind speed over 15 and turn the direction knob, you will defenitly be pointed to a runway that lies in the opposite direction.

This can lead to tricky situations. If you select runway22 of Gelendznik airbase for instance, you will fly into a mountain when visibility is low (due to fog) since the ILS patch is projected through a mountain :rolleyes:

DELL Inspiron 1564 / Intel Core i3 M330 @ 2.13GHz (4GB)___ATI Radeon HD4330(512Mb)___Windows7 Home Premium 64bit

Thanks for the comments, everyone. :)

Don't know if this is something you can include in your mod or not. The Su-25T HUD displays the number code for the airbase you have selected in the Return and Landing modes. Here are two maps I made to include in an upcoming Su-25T tutorial: Crimea/Caucasus Airbase Maps. They include the airbase name along with its code number and altitude and heading info for the main runway. The bases are listed in order of the number codes 1-21.

Ironhand, The maps are great and very useful !

(I noticed the number code of Kransnodar-Pashlouskiy is missing. 19?)

But, sorry, I don't think I can include those info in the mod. I might try something else...

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I thought the airfield direction (don't quote me on this) changed depending on wind direction and speed?
Wind direction WILL decide wich runway to take.

I checked it and found the direction changes if you have the following wind of 4m/s(13ft/s) or more. So the icon only shows the default direction.

To take this alittle further, Can the western runway mod by modded to have Direcional arrows right on the runways? I dont know if this is possible, someone wanna give it a try?

As I described above, the direction can be changed by the situation. So, it might not be a good idea. :icon_roll

A few questions -

(1) Are the player waypoint altitudes measured above sea level, or ground level?

(2) What is the altitude of the AI approach start?

(3) If the wind is in the opposite direction, does the AI still turn right toward the airport?

(4) Are the distances really measured from the runway threshold, or from its center (icon)? i.e. what happens to these distances if the runway is shorter?

Those numbers are very rough, so please treat them as rule-of-thumb numbers.

(1)Above ground level. But most of the airfields is placed lower than 100 meters, so the difference is negligible in most cases, I think.

(2)I checked it. It's about 500m(1,600ft).

(3)Looks like AI always approaches from the right side and turns right to face the runway.

(4)From the runway threshold.

TekaTeka from Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the comments, everyone. :)

Ironhand, The maps are great and very useful !

(I noticed the number code of Kransnodar-Pashlouskiy is missing. 19?)

But, sorry, I don't think I can include those info in the mod. I might try something else...

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

(Remainder snipped)

Sorry. I overlooked that one when I proofed. That's what I get for doing this type of work after midnight. :)

Yes. Kransnodar-Pashlouskiy is #19. I've revised the JPEG and uploaded the new package in case anyone else should have a use for it. Too bad it doesn't lend itself to anything you're doing. Great work. Keep it coming.

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Too bad it doesn't lend itself to anything you're doing. Great work. Keep it coming.

Ironhand, I did it !

I edited \ME\meinit.xml and this is what I got! :biggrin:

See the code number!

anapa8sr.jpg

You have to click on the airbase icon in the in-flight map to see this.

This is not a perfect solution but it is much better than nothing.

I attached the new meinit to this message.

You can try it by replacing the original by it. (Do not forget backup the original first!)

meinit.zip

TekaTeka from Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ironhand, I did it !

(Image snipped)

Excellent. With that change you can access the airbase numbers as long as the MAP VIEW (F10) is available. Good work.

Rich

_____

• 4 months later...
Ironhand, I did it !

See the code number!

I attached the new meinit to this message.

You can try it by replacing the original by it. (Do not forget backup the original first!)

Sorry, the code number is only for Su-25T Aicrafts. The directional number is for the other Aircrafts.

If the wind direction is about 180° amiss, the direction numbers is change.

We have the NAV Card in the cockpit with red numbers for the wind direction is about 180 Degree amiss.

Regards

Viper

Best Regards

Viper

sigpic3353_7.gif

System: Intel Core i7-4790, 3,6GHz, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5,

TM HOTAS Warthog;(MSFFB2 for testing); TrackIR4 +Track Clip Pro; Windows 10 Pro.

• 8 months later...

Wind will usually change runway direction in use, however there is usually only one direction that has an ILS. As such, in bad weather aircraft captains will have to work out what the tailwind limitations are for their a/c and how it will affect landing distance, especially for actual ground speed at touchdown vs runway length and aquaplaning speeds.

If you come from the opposite direction to the set up of the ILS you will get reversed direction indications, unless there is a guchi set up at the airfield for dual ILS or backbeam equipment to get the indications right. This is rare however, I'd imagine even more so in the Black Sea region!

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region