Stuttering 1.1 problems What is going on at ED??

I don't have a monitor or keyboard connected to the server. I did have the maxpacketsize set to 1200 for some reason. I set it to 512 now. I went through HL to connect and my ping is usually below 25 that way.

I have seen the stutterring though and now know what to look for. Thanks for assisting!

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, from all the testing I've done so far, the one thing that sticks out the most for me is this 'microstutter' and it seems to be directly tied to the client pingperiod value. When I set pingperiod=1 on the client, I get a microstutter at about a rate of one every second. It is really easy to see when you do a roll. You can also notice your fps drop about 6 fps from whatever it was for a split second during this microstutter. Setting pingperiod=2 causes the microstutter to happen every two seconds. Even if you are not in motion, you can see your fps take the 6 fps hit while sitting on the ground.

I've tried setting my AGP in bios from 64 to 256 and the microstutter remained. I'm not sure this microstutter is related the the stuttering folks see during formation flying, but my guess would be that it probably is. I'm all out of ideas.

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

I'm not sure this microstutter is related the the stuttering folks see during formation flying, but my guess would be that it probably is. I'm all out of ideas.

You ought to read the first 15 pages of this thread! You pretty much summed up what has been discovered so far... :icon_wink

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

I've read them, but I needed to go through this myself too.

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

I've read them, but I needed to go through this myself too.

Let me know if you can setup a server with packet of 500 and your upstream downstream set to what you think is an accurate reflection of your connection (look in the network LUA file and set it to something less than what you get in a speed test such as pcpitstop.com)

So far, and I've tried a few combinations, nothing seems to stop the pingperiod stutter. I have a few more things to test though.

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

Hi guys,

The devs are apparently all over this one, just thought you might want to know. If there happen to be updates, I'll give'em if/when possible, but please don't push or ask - otherwise my goodwill points will drain to zero and I won't provide squat (nor, do I think, will the devs) ... so stay calm, colelcted, and patient. VERY PATIENT (none of this 'it's been a week now...' ) ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Hi guys,

The devs are apparently all over this one, just thought you might want to know. If there happen to be updates, I'll give'em if/when possible, but please don't push or ask - otherwise my goodwill points will drain to zero and I won't provide squat (nor, do I think, will the devs) ... so stay calm, colelcted, and patient. VERY PATIENT (none of this 'it's been a week now...' ) ;)

Thanks GG! That's all we needed to hear. That they acknowledge the problem and are working on it... Glad to hear that!!! Let us know whenever any updates come along or tips that might help us improve things before a permanent fix is avail.

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

No problem - they're always working on these things FYI, they're just not telling ya ;)

Insofar as this issue is concerned, I'm afraid that at this time, beyond what you've discovered, there's no way to smooth it out ... it really will require a patch.

A sad note: The Internet Instructor mode is, unfortunately, non-operational.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

On a better note, using babelfish.altavista.com, I found on the Russian forum, other players are having the same problems with stuttering (and not getting many answers from ED). So, we're not the only ones. I wonder if the CD version of FC has the same stuttering problem.

sig36aa.jpg

I wonder if the CD version of FC has the same stuttering problem.

Same here! I'm sure it has stutter, but it would be nice to have it confirmed since the CD version uses a different type of StarForce for its copy protection.

Why would SF interfere with online but not offline? Me thinks SF has nothing to do with it. Definitely netcode/pingperiod and probably something running at higher priority than need be is my guess.

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

Why would SF interfere with online but not offline? Me thinks SF has nothing to do with it. Definitely netcode/pingperiod and probably something running at higher priority than need be is my guess.

It's surprising that none - so my guess - of the testers saw/reported the stuttering issue.

Maybe because they were testing a version w/o StarForce?

On the other hand, IF someone reported the issue and it didn't get fixed, well ....

nah, i don't think ED would do that ...

Well, I have to say that I never noticed the stutter until I actually knew what to look for. I would have probably noticed it sooner if I were a big formation flyer, but I spend most of my LockOn time down in the dirt.

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

Same here! I'm sure it has stutter, but it would be nice to have it confirmed since the CD version uses a different type of StarForce for its copy protection.

Thing is ... imagine if this does happens... what happens to the D/L version then ? hmmmm

Huh?

Please, I've really had enough of the whole SF thingy. And, what do you mean about what happens to the dload version (hypothetical question btw)? What dload version are you talking about? The one I have, or the one that may, or may not, soon become available?

Really, let's take GG's advice and think, and then post, positive and constructively on this particular issue, and let's keep it separate from the previous (SF) issue, please. We've done a lot of work to narrow it down and I think we have given the DEVS something to zoom in on.

If the water is too deep, go back to the shallow end. This area is for experienced swimmers only! :P

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

not such a stupid post - and how many versions do you know of to download ?!

The one I paid for before the paypal issue....

My point was : If the cd version doenst have the stutter - and it turned out to be a SF issue then what would happen with the already released downloadable version?

My apologies for mentioning SF - obviously this is not the cause and woe betide anyone mentioning it.... If you dont like my post just ignore it... Im entitled to ask a question with regard to something I paid for...

But as your the experienced swimmer you can probably guarantee it has nothing to do with my stupid question....

Good luck to the people who are working on the problem regardless :)

This thread is about a specific, and identified issue at this point, and through the work and testing of more a than a few (that already have 1.1, mind you), have narrowed down the problem I think, and the fact that the prob has an ACK from above, means we should sit and wait for a bit for resolution.

Please do not attempt to hijack this thread at this point.

And sorry if I offended you in this thread. This thead caught my attention and I was very impressed with the detail, the effort, and the presentation of the people participating.

Let's let this one roll on.

Again, sorry,

But let the dice roll here man.

ANd also, be happy I got beer, otherwise I would be telling you a story or two! :-)

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

Conuk and Slammin,

I agree that this thread should focus on tips or further testing to reduce the stuttering until a sollution is available, but I have to admit that I'm very curious to find out if the CD version has the same stutter as the d/l from ED!? Just because SF was introduced at such a late stage in development and no one (!) reported it seems like during beta testing (and the two SF are not the same between the CD and d/l)...

What would happen to the download version if that was the case... Well, since no one is downloading it right now anyway not much and I'm sure ED would fix it with a patch and also put up a new file for download for future purchases. For all those who already have the d/l version, could just download it again. You can download the file all day long (even now), it's the reg key that you buy...

LawnDart

Hi guys,

And I'm very patient.

Thanks GG!

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

No need for 'what if's' at this point. You guys have identified the problem, pointedly specified when/where it exists and have made those that can address it aware.

Speculating and tossing in new/unobserved variables into the mix does no good.

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000