Stuttering 1.1 problems What is going on at ED??

Slammin, are you using an intel chip? Is your hyperthreading on?

This is all I have to go on right now - it certianly looks like there's a thread blocking the video rendering every now and then, associated with the ping ... so I don't think it's network flow being affected, but somehow either the bus or osmething else is being temporarily - and unintentionally - kidnapped.

Okay, can't be the bus, no warping ... but maybe just the AGP, for some silly reason?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the only proof would be to show the code. Finding this pingperiod problem was a good place to start looking but it's up to ED to actually find the root problem.

Unfortunately, ED hasn't said a word about this yet but I see them posting in the payments section. I had faith in 1.1 but I'm starting to doubt if I was right. Imagine all the players who spent countless hours trying to get 1.1 to work online. Lockon is supposed to be enjoyable, but trying to get it to work is FAR from fun.

sig36aa.jpg

Aceflier, read some of those links. Most of them are of no real substance insofar as this topic's concerned.

Jetfire, the devs aren't oblivious, but I'd imagine the payments section is sucking up msot of their PR time - they're aware of this issue and they're looking into it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Well it is definately related to the program dealing with being online, as tracks recorded in studdering multiplayer sessions look mostly fine when reviewed. And like I said some value is being fed into the machine, I'd guess interpolation calculator as adjusting ping period has an affect, and this bit of code is either eatting up loop cycles or just plain telling the plane to make radical corrections rather than subtle ones.

• Like 1

Aceflier, read some of those links. Most of them are of no real substance insofar as this topic's concerned.

Jetfire, the devs aren't oblivious, but I'd imagine the payments section is sucking up msot of their PR time - they're aware of this issue and they're looking into it.

ah sorry i did find 2 or 3 that were related but after that it wasnt as bad as it first looked lol. My bad. But dont rule it out either.

No, it doesn't - SF may well be involved. But so far, as I said, the symptoms point to an extremely straight forward theory:

The ping runs in a parallel thread, and for some reason, when running as a client, when this thread fires or whan its created, it's blocking the video thread. It doesn't block the network thread, or the restof the game, otherwise you'd see warping (this is easy to prove and reporduce: take a screenshot. Even one thattakes a short time will produce significant and IMMEDIATE warping) ... so something else is going on here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've done my fair share of reserch on SF before i buy this product. It does work in a way that it "hijacks" ide channels. If then it is taking over your hardrive IDE everytime that call is sent for virtual ram you could get a stutter. This delay could also effect the overall performance thru the agp bus and latency cyle. Perhaps people with 2 gigs of ram and no pagefile arent getting the stutter but people with lower ram may have it when it swaps to virt ram.

But, why it's not happening in single player I dont have an answere for unless multiplayer is hitting the system just that little bit harder. (And we all know it does.)

Just a theory of mine but I'm no pc expert nor a starforce rep. But there has to be a reason for it.

• Like 1

Aceflier, if you don't mind, and please don't be offended, but can you exit this thread? LockOn networking issues is really not a new issue. Some of us have already been through the tweaking pains more than once.

If this leads to SF (doubtful), we can start a new related thread.

Please let us continue to explore our current direction.

Thanks man,

Slam

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

lost my train of thought.

Be back tomorrow....

• Like 1

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

A few things that still concerns me regarding SF and stuttering are:

SF was supposedly introduced at a very late stage in testing (right?), so it could very well be a problem. Secondly, the VFTC flew with version 1.1 for their latest video and obviously they didn't have any stuttering (or they're not telling us about it, since as we know tracks will not show this phenomenon). Besides, this was prior to SF being picked as the copy protection officially. And finally, after looking at similar issues with other games while searching google (although not conclusive), just tells me SF is something that absolutely, positively needs to be looked into if it causes any stuttering (how it's using channels while the game is running)!

Can anyone with the CD version (non SF activation) of the game run the same tests and see whether its clients have plane stuttering in multiplayer?

What the VTB is doing right now is testing everything in our control to make the game flyable (and enjoyable) again. We're not trying to solve the problem per se, since a patch will more than likely be required for that. It's all about "damage control" at this point, trying to limit the stuttering as much as possible and get our squad airborne again. The micro-stuttering (not warping, not lag, not graphics) effectively makes close formation flying a nightmare! This is why we're editing files and working on the "pingPeriod" among other things. Not trying to "fix" the game here, but to be able to fly it! (Although it sure feels like we're left to our own to figure this one out).

BTW, since someone asked... Myself and a fellow VTB pilot have 2Gb memory and 6800GT cards and still experience stuttering as clients (regardless of graphics settings or framerates). Hope that answers the amount of ram question!

Please keep this thread alive with more suggestions as to how we can reduce the stuttering. In the mean time it's ED's job (wherever this falls on their priority list) to fix it in the end...

LawnDart

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Thanks aceflier. I'm only tossing out ideas man. I'm not seeing the stuttter issue either, but I don't fly formation. I have no doubt it's there, from what I'm hearing and am only trying to help out.

Again, not meaning to offend.

And yes, you may be on to something. If SF causes an interrupt to be injected if it in fact 'hijacks' your IDE channels, and your system is using the swap file while playing, and I think even with a gig or ram, you will still be entering swap land, then yes, you may be on to something.

Thing is, I have no reason to think that SF is in fact 'hijacking' mine, nor anyone else's IDE channel at this point. What I do know is that the default net settings with LockON can be optimized. I think this is what this thread is about, for now.

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

What I do know is that the default net settings with LockON can be optimized. I think this is what this thread is about, for now.

I couldn't agree more! ...and to get ED's attention that there is a problem as well!

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Just to give everyone an idea of what the stuttering looks like (at worst), here's a screenshot edited with PS to recreate the same effect as we have experienced online.

STUTTER.gif

If the stuttering is at the extent of the above gif picture then isn't it realistic? :D

It's stutter on top of movements, not just stutter! The only thing realistic about it is that the 1.1 multiplayer is f-ed up! No offense, but it is...

Hello gents.

It seems the devs were too busy and had no time to read through this thread. I will contact them using Russian and bring up your question about the stuttering. Plz be patiant. I will keep you informed.

Personally I haven't seen any stutter, but the biggest formation I had consisted of 2 planes. There's no such a thread on the russian forum.

Unfortunately I had read this thread in hurry so I might loose something important. Plz correct me if I'm wrong in my review of the problem.

1. Stuttering is when the in-game picture regularly stops for a moment and then runs again for a longer period.

2. Hosts see no stutter, only the clients have.

3. Stutters can be easily seen only in human close formations, no matter how many human planes are in formation (1 client and more).

4. The "pingperiod" value affects the stuttering significantly.

maj. Slash

941st "Sabre Wolves"

http://www.941st.ru

Hi

Thanks for your interest..... ;)

For the 4 point :

1 yes, and for all moving image, for example, when i am in cockpit parking, i can't see terrain moving, but if i see a plane, i see it with stuttering. Between, it is significally with seeing the terrain.

This is very regular, run for 3-4 second, and stop 1/10° second

2 yes . i have stuttering all the time i am as a client, never when i host the game, but my client get it.( my specs 2800+ / 1G ram/ 6800 GT / cable 2048/387 ). In any game, heavy or light mission, day or night time, i have stuterring as a client.

3 i have stuttering anytime, always, when i am alone, in formation, high or low altitude, on the sea, yes, always.... :icon_frow

4 Not really significantly, but i think the stop time is more short, and i think the run period is more large.

Really, i enjoy that dev could fix this, i haven't got these problem in 1.02 as a client, with the same specs and same multiplayer gaming.

Thanks for your information

Thanks Slash, Russian is the one thing I can't do (but notice that there is already a thread about this in the beta forum)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

I ask you before something to speak about stuttering to provide such experiment. Close all unnecessary utilities from OS, such as ICQ, various antiviruses, service utilities and fire wall if it is possible.

Then start the Windows task manager and during game to look coincide stutters with the moment of stirring up of any process. It is possible to see in the Processes bookmark.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

Stuttering appears only as multiplayer client, not with an hosting game or solo game. If there is a relation with unnecessary program as msn messenger ou icq, it would be the same on solo game, or hosting a game.

Meanwhile, when i am hosting the game, this is my client which have stuttering.

When i am playing on-line, there is no program running, i close messenger, antivirus, all unnecessary program, and still stuttering.

Notice that the stuttering is very regular, each both second, the game stop for an 1/10° second, and run again ,.....

FPS are regular, the game doesn't slow down, just stuttering, as like rowing, on all multiplayer game as a client.

You can notice that this problem is icoming with the 1.1 FC add-on, there is no problem with multiplayer game in LO 1.02, with same gaming conditions.

I am ready to help you to isolate the problem, because i have it in all condition, direct IP with different host, Hypper Lobby multiplayer game, light or heavy mission, so i can test all what you want to find the problem.

I am going to see if i could find a relation between stuttering with a process up at the same time, but the regularity of the stuttering couldn't consider that in this particular case.

Thanks for your interest.

a+

Lots of pages to read here, so i dont know if it was mentioned. Sorry.....

But noticed, along with other 169th, that when the AWACS transmitts a message to you, the game also stutters for a second. Every single time.

And then of course I have noticed the same thing with MP. The constant stuttering. Almost every single plane has a constant stutter to it, nose pitches up and down, and lag related stuff. Usually doesnt lag or stutter far, like when pings are seriously high.

But noticed, along with other 169th, that when the AWACS transmitts a message to you, the game also stutters for a second. Every single time.
Spot on... and it isn't the only thing which causes stutter.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!