Stuttering 1.1 problems What is going on at ED??

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is hardware related, because as far as I know the Intel systems are not having the problem, only AMD systems

I know a few Intels that are having the same thing.

It isn't SF. My squadmates who are using intel setups don't have stuttering.

WELL aren't you just special...

just because "a few people" aren't noticing this doesn't mean that StarForce isn't behind...I really don't know what is !!

But, hey! THEN AGAIN you guys may not be 6 ppl in close formation(within 2 feet of each other I would say)...so it may not be noticable to you...

I think it is hardware related, because as far as I know the Intel systems are not having the problem, only AMD systems

What part of I don't have an AMD is not getting through? Don't mean to be rude, but we've tested multiplayer on Intel only server and clients with the same annoying stuttering!!!

I do NOT believe this is a hardware issue at all! It's something within 1.1's code or what's being sent between the host and its clients. There is no stuttering what-so-ever for the host computer, but as client there are all these small "hickups" every two seconds. I've seen this to be true on my computer both as host (no stutter) and client (stutter) which has an INTEL board and processor!

LawnDart

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

This stuttering...

Day one when I installed 1.1 and flew some 1.02 missions I made i noticed what you might call stuttering.

I immediately scrapped all my old missions and started to make new ones.

Low and behold absolutley no stuttering. No one on my server complaining of stuttering either.

Guess what else? Blackouts worked properly and make it a whole new ball game especially for guns matches.

Might not be the same problem but I thought it was worth mentioning.

O'boy, do I wish you were right! Thanks for the tip, but I tried that a long time ago.

I've done some testing with a bare-bones, fresh install, built new missions from scratch and we still have stuttering in multiplayer (on the client side only). I litterally don't know what else to test anymore.

I was messing around with the network files today and even when you disable every file that the host "pushes" to each client, it stutters.

For everyone who say they don't have any stuttering: The stutter is very hard to see sometimes (depends on connection) until you get nice and tight with another airplane in formation. It looks like a hickup (frame hickup) every 2 seconds or so. It's not lag or warping, you can definitely tell the difference. And it appears to only stutter for the clients, not hosts. I flew some combat tonight and I completely forgot there was even a stuttering issue until I got back in formation, that's when it really shows!!!

LawnDart

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

It isn't SF. My squadmates who are using intel setups don't have stuttering.

All of us have this stutter, my squad have some pentiums and have it too. I dont have this 2/3 second stutter only when i start as a server. Starforce related? I dont know, but it´s a BUG that PREVENTS flying in close formation.

It´s a BUG that may be solved soon

Ahhhh LD, I was praying that taking out the host's push files would solve it. Well my weekend trip got cancelled yesterday so I'll be able to talk with the VFTC and get input from them Saturday morning. I mean if they're putting on a show they can't have the studder, unless their uber fast LAN connection smooths it out (doubtful).

And this all takes it back to the only difference between our two programs- Star Force. Which I know to some sounds like I'm calling SF a witch but until I have confirmation that the Russian version also has studder its the only thing I can come up with at this point. Also if the Russian version DOES NOT have studder then I can't think of any other culprit.

Just to reinforce previous arguments, I am using an Intel setup so its doubtful its a hardware issue. I think ppl who have seen no studder need to answer the follow up question of how many planes were within 100ft of you. I think anyone who has experienced no studder should start a mission on the ramp with a squadmate as client, the studder should be apparent as soon as you turn the nose to taxi to the runway.

Someone mentioned tracing SF to see if its dialing home with a router and a certain program, if you could post a bit more info I think we can set up a test for this as LD has a router.

I had an idea while reading over my post that I thought deserves a new post-

Has anyone tried using LAN setup rather than Internet. I know it was possible to direct connect to the host over the internet using the LAN setting in 1.02 so the same should be true in 1.1. Just a suggestion for those testing, I'll be too busy today to try it until tonight.

Also another question to be answered b/f I see the VTFC show- do spectators see the studder as well b/c if they do and I do not see any in the Russian VTFC server then I think we have things narrowed down a bit.

Well, one of my squadmates has stutter, the other two do not - none of us are using the Russian version, we're all using the download version, so I think it's rather unlikely that it is SF.

And no, really, they DO NOT have stutter, and we DO fly in fairly close formation - not that it matters, the stutter is very apparent when you taxi, wether there are aircraft nearby or no - and they don't get stutter at all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Could it be predictive positioning of the aircraft within the multiplayer code?

For example - say the position of aircraft is enumerated to all clients every 500ms or so - the aircraft remains travelling along the vector that was enumerated last, and when the next set of data is received the aircraft position is 'corrected'.

If the frequency of the enumeration is controlled by the available bandwidth between the host and the clients it might help if higher bandwidth settings are used.

This doesn't explain single player - but that may be a similar sounding but different issue.

I had an idea while reading over my post that I thought deserves a new post-

Has anyone tried using LAN setup rather than Internet. I know it was possible to direct connect to the host over the internet using the LAN setting in 1.02 so the same should be true in 1.1. Just a suggestion for those testing, I'll be too busy today to try it until tonight.

Also another question to be answered b/f I see the VTFC show- do spectators see the studder as well b/c if they do and I do not see any in the Russian VTFC server then I think we have things narrowed down a bit.

I have done the lan setup. As host I didn't get any shuttering, my client did if I recall correctly. I wasn't really testing at that point so I wasn't taking notes.

Netstat will log connections to a text file. I think I will try and see if there are any odd addresses after I start multiplay

C'mon ED, we're just waiting for you to acknowledge the stuttering and let us know if this is a known issue to you? Multiplayer is unplayable for us right now...

Like I said before, great game, just wish I was able to play it! :rolleyes:

LawnDart

Well, one of my squadmates has stutter, the other two do not - none of us are using the Russian version, we're all using the download version, so I think it's rather unlikely that it is SF.

And no, really, they DO NOT have stutter, and we DO fly in fairly close formation - not that it matters, the stutter is very apparent when you taxi, wether there are aircraft nearby or no - and they don't get stutter at all.

Ok then its a step in the right direction- please list as much info on these two non-studder pilots. Internet connection, hardware (including vid drivers), install order (ie did they upgrade from 1.02 or go with a fresh install). Did they use auto activation or manually verify with SF. And of course any mods from a stock install they might be using. If they do not have studder this means there is a way we can go without studder as well.

If gathering this info is a pain for you please PM me their contact info.

I'll post our findings when and if we come up with something.

So far the only real difference is that they're running intel platforms, and that's it. Everything out comes up to being about the same.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yeah I know, we're running some tests with windows performance logs going ... but we jsut can pin this issue down ... VERY annoying.

Anyway, the setups are fairly normal, one guy has a 9800 Pro, another a 6800Ultra (those two on intel, no stutters)

I have a 6600 ... we also tried to use a PCI nic, no dice.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've done just a little bit of flying as client on Hyperlobby the last couple of nights. I still don't see the stutter myself in formation or low-level flying. I asked around and found a couple of the people who did say they saw stuttering as clients including 1 on the same server I was flying at the time. Another told me he'd seen stutter when flying close to another players plane but not flying close to an AI aircraft (like AR Tanker). My system is nothing spectacular - Dell P4/2.0Ghz, 786Ram, 9600XT/Cat5.2, 768/128 DSL Earthlink/Verizon (ISP/Telco) with a stock 1.1 install over 1.0. I had flown 1.1 over 1.02 previously before doing a re-install.

I see people mentioning StarForce as a possible issue. The way I see it if SF is the problem the host should be getting stutter as well plus everyone should be getting stutter in both MP and single player missions. The reason a lot of people might not be seeing/noticing stutter is that the 1.1 MP code changes seem to make the game more stable and run better than 1.02 MP code. Except - it seems by the reports here - close formation flying and low level flying for some people.

I ran the tests with Sygate Personal Firewall running with the Logging mode turned on and didn't detect any unexpected network activity (such as SF trying to access the 'Net). SPF has excellent logging options including packet data inspection option. But its the traffic analysis mode that will let you track down and locate any suspect activity - inbound or outbound.

A couple ideas came to mind for further troubleshooting to try and isolate what is actually going on:

(1) Is the stutter the same over land as it is far out over the water out of sight of land?

(2) Is the stutter also present when the aircraft are parked on the ramp, not moving, nested in close to one another as they would be while flying formation?

(3) Do the same test as (2) above only test for stutteriing while taxiing.

(4) In a server with stuttering formation clients - do the clients also stutter when flying close to AI aircraft (such as IL-78 tanker)?

I haven't run into the stutter problem online yet. My system is Intel w/6800GT.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

WR, the stutter DOES NOT CEASE. When you're flying high and all you're seeing is blurred land or sky, it's not very noticeable, unelss things you're paying attention to on the HUD are changing rapidly. But if you look for it, you'll see it - it's present AT ALL TIMES ... less noticeable in some cases, merely due to the activity level on-screen (ie. stuff on screen not changing or not changing much, so naturally you're not likely to notice much if anything) but have a plane flying near you and watch it constantly change position, you'll see it. Fly low to the ground - you'll see it. FLy by a clould - you'll see it. Accelerate, deceleate, climb or dive rapidly, you'll see it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

netsettings

I know many ppl will think its bullshit, but try putting ur netspeed down in \FlamingCliffs\Config\network\config.lua...

like this:

-- This file was automagically generated. Edit with care. :)

gameTimeout = 10;

pingPeriod = 3;

maxPacketSize = 500;

playerName = "Yourname";

idleTimeout = 120;

stats {

enable = true;

file = "Temp/mp_log.txt";

};

chat {

height = 95;

log = true;

delay = 10000;

};

serverFiles = {

[1] = "./Bazar/Names.lua";

[2] = "./Bazar/Racks.lua";

[3] = "./Bazar/Types.lua";

[4] = "./Config/Weapons/Guns.lua";

[5] = "./Config/Weapons/DrawInfo.lua";

[6] = "./Config/Weapons/Bombs.lua";

[7] = "./Config/Planes/Pylons.lua";

[8] = "./Config/Planes/Damage.lua";

[9] = "./Config/Planes/AIControl.lua";

[10] = "./Config/Export/Export.lua";

[11] = "./Config/View/Server.lua";

[12] = "./Config/View/Labels.lua";

[13] = "./Config/World/World.lua";

};

configList = {

JaBoG32 = {

downstream = 11000;

upstream = 11000;

};

["xDSL 128/128 Kbit/s"] = {

downstream = 16000;

upstream = 16000;

};

["xDSL 1024/128 Kbit/s"] = {

downstream = 128000;

upstream = 16000;

};

["Modem 56.6K"] = {

downstream = 5000;

upstream = 3000;

};

["LAN 10 Mbit/s"] = {

downstream = 500000;

upstream = 500000;

};

["LAN 100 Mbit/s"] = {

downstream = 5000000;

upstream = 5000000;

};

["xDSL 256/128 Kbit/s"] = {

downstream = 32000;

upstream = 16000;

};

};

client {

port = 10308;

type = "JaBoG32";

server = "217.84.20.194";

serverList = {

[1] = "217.84.20.194";

[2] = "217.162.225.132";

[3] = "66.165.113.50";

[4] = "70.25.211.213";

[5] = "217.162.224.125";

};

};

server {

port = 10308;

name = "LockOn Server";

maxPlayers = 32;

type = "xDSL 256/128 Kbit/s";

interface = "All interfaces";

};

Helped me a little, didn't resolve it, but made it playable...

Hope it helps you

regards

JaBoG32_Zillion

• Like 1