USB3 and SATA 3.0 worthwhile?

I've read about the availability of USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0 on new motherboards. They are supposed to offer more bandwidth than their earlier counterparts. Does anyone have any idea or opinion as to whether or not this new tech is currently worthwhile to purchase for gaming considerations? Here's a link to a review of a new mobo with the new specs: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/gigabyte_ga_x58a_ud3r/7.htm

Honestly I'm not sure what to make of it.

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

Yes, USB3 and SATA3 are considerably faster. But the technology is not natively supported by Win7.

The problem lies within the history of Windows7. Originally Vista was designed to include the new data-format and better file-management, but it wasn't ready in time and planned for Windows7. But due to the bad acceptance of Vista, the Windows7-WIP got stripped off it's name and Vista with a new installer got the name instead.

Now it's called Windows8, the new file-formats are still planned and WIP and it's planned to be released in 2011. Talk about longlivety products....

Well, long story short: Win7 and older Windows OS are not capable to profit from the increased file transfer rates, so ATM I would give the hardware industry a bit time to improve their products and decrease prices and wait for Win7 to grow old enough to justify a replacement of Win7.

And then you still have to buy the external drives, USB-sticks and HDDs to support it ;)

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

It sure is about a time to move on to the new and faster standards. Unless there is a considerable amount of the new standard USB devices and hard drives, I don't see much sense yet, though I'm not really up to date on the subject. I sure hope those will be new standards when I'll be buying a new PC in future.

EDIT: Ah, thanks for update Feuerfalke.

thanks for the feedback Feuerfalke,

No sense in buying the latest mobo if there is no OS to support it, though I've read that USB3.0 and SATA 3.0 are backwards compatible to the current 2.0. Still, I see from the review of the motherboard that there is no speed benefit for gaming with the new mobo. That's the bottom line for me. I also noticed that the OS used in the test was Win-Vista64.

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

Kables, HUBs and most likely common devices will be backwards compatible. Difficult to tell, as so far mostly cables and HUBs have adopted the new standard. That means, they simply have the additional connectors. If they are also capable of providing the increased data-rates - who knows ;)

But as noted before, their extra-speed is not supported by Win7 and older Windows OS, so no benefit from the additional hardware-features if you use these systems.

So, no reason to waste money on these features now.

Just another piece of expensive hardware with zero effect for 99% of the current users :)

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I read about the sata 3.0 OR the usb3 and really its not worth it, maybe it was usb3. The tech is still new and hardware is pricey. I would rather wait the extra 5-15 minutes for transfers than go chaseing new tech worth a bunch of money to save what 15 min ?

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

Hardware is moving faster then software..

By the time Win8 comes out the hardware folk would of made usb4 / sata 4 and win8 not supporting it...

Everything id moving to fast.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45