Lock On crashes in Windows 7. I've exhausted every "fix" I know of.

Spades_Neil

this suxs balls

Microsoft will kill support for its unloved Windows Vista operating system a few months ahead of its Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 planned end-of-the-road-for-updates deadline.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/26/microsoft_vista_xp_2000/

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

In case of a .dll hell type problem, search this link below for ".local" and see if it helps; the short version is "create an empty file called LockOn.exe.local in the same folder as the LockOn.exe file" but the article has more info as to why this can help if you'd like to know:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms811700.aspx

It may not help in this particular case, but it won't hurt to try, and if you still have the same probs afterwards it's easy to cleanup by simply removing the empty file again. Given a clean reinstall seemed to fix things for another poster, it's a distinct possibility that a clash with another app that was installed/patched previously could be behind the problem.

Regarding other points made of Program Files and MS support lifecycle:

I like Reg® but that article's pretty stupid. It's only referring to the SP0 version of Vista (which like the SP0 and SP1 versions of XP is already long-since retired too).

It'll still be years yet before Vista SP2 and beyond is retired. This is all part of their normal support lifecycle applied to all OS (when a new SP comes out, older SPs or 'base install' OS have 12-24 months left on the clock).

So that article's just tabloid media hype and not at all indicative of the 'love' for an OS by its maker (trust me, Microsoft love its ugliest abominations to the bitter end of their cycles like only a mother could, it's when they kill off the good stuff (like VB6) completely unnecessarily to try and strongarm (not strongharm :D) them into using .net that it's time to /boggle).

(You surely aren't running Vista without service packs are you?)

Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ - skip through to "19. What is the policy for service packs?"

Regarding phobia of the Program Files folder; this is mostly due to your permissions and the programmers don't need to change a thing really.

Create the game folder yourself inside Program Files manually, like 'lockon' or 'eagledynamics', and then make yourself the owner of it (administrator will be the owner otherwise, as inherited from Program Files) and give yourself full control.

Anything you install in there now will be no less peachy and free of any UAC / VirtualStore issues just as if it had been installed somewhere else like another games folder you create. This is with UAC still fully on and whilst also not exposing you to any security probs by reducing permissions outside of this folder. Modman, lockon, blackshark, they're all running just fine (despite modman's incessant nagging to the contrary).

The real fault there is with MS for not providing good enough UI intuition and/or documentation for this side of Vista, they just focused on the eye-candy docs it seems.

It's unfortunate to have to (seemingly) jump through extra hoops to get an app installed into the Program Files (the natural place for it), but those who appreciate UAC's goal can live with this at install time since that's relatively rare occurrence compared to having to make concessions at every run time.

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

I had big issues with WIN7 64Bit and lockon CTD this solved it for me This is straight copy and paste from the original thread and what fixed it for me :

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=45992&highlight=ivank

An update to the CTD issue I was having. I have not had a single CTD since I did the following:

Renamed MSVCRTT.DLL in the main lockon folder (so the only version visible to PC is the one in the system folder)

Run Lockon Flaming Cliffs under XP SP3 compatibility mode as Admin.

(Right click on the shorcut ...> Properties .....> Compatibility )

(Running Win7 64Bit, Creative XiFi card,Alchemy,Nivida GTX295)

Edited by IvanK

Microsoft will kill support for its unloved Windows Vista operating system a few months ahead of its Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 planned end-of-the-road-for-updates deadline.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/26/microsoft_vista_xp_2000/

dont panic just yet...

MS retire support based on SP# installed. So, as long as you update Vista to latest service pack you will be fine for a good while yet. Basically, if you phone up MS with an issue with Vista and they say "what service pack are you on" and you say, "what service pack?" you'd better have a gold card ready. Fair enough really, all these xp holdouts...........:D:Dpicture.php?albumid=333&pictureid=2429

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

This has worked for me allso on Vist 64 bit..I have not had a ctd since doing this..

I had big issues with WIN7 64Bit and lockon CTD this solved it for me This is straight copy and paste from the original thread and what fixed it for me :

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=45992&highlight=ivank

An update to the CTD issue I was having. I have not had a single CTD since I did the following:

Renamed MSVCRTT.DLL in the main lockon folder (so the only version visible to PC is the one in the system folder)

Run Lockon Flaming Cliffs under XP SP3 compatibility mode as Admin.

(Right click on the shorcut ...> Properties .....> Compatibility )

(Running Win7 64Bit, Creative XiFi card,Alchemy,Nivida GTX295)

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||