Lock On crashes in Windows 7. I've exhausted every "fix" I know of.

Spades_Neil

I've patched the game to 1.12b, I've updated the Starforce drivers, I've updated my graphics card, I've lowered the graphic settings (despite being able to run at 200-300 FPS on maximum graphics), I've added a cap to the FPS in my config file at 60 FPS, I've disabled Data Execution Prevention for Lock On, I'm running Lock On as an administrator, and I've even UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED my entire game and put it in the directory Games/Lock On instead of Program Files (x86) because of how retarded Windows is!! And now, I lost ALL of my pilot and mission data because I was too stupid to back it up!! Yet none of this has been worth anything!! :mad:

No matter what I've done so far, my game CONTINUES to crash.

System Specs are as followed.

CPU: AMD Phentom II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz

RAM: 8.00 Gigabytes

Operating: Windows 7 64-bit

Graphics: ATI Raedon HD 4800 series

My computer, aside from crashing every 1-20 minutes into gameplay, is capable of running Lock On with the graphics completely maxed out. That doesn't mean I do.

For the amount of crap this game is going through, Lock On 2.0 better work bloody perfect. >_> When is it supposed to come out again?

In the mean time, I am in desperate need of a fix. :helpsmilie:

EDIT: I have an error report from inside the Lock On folder from my last crash.

2/27/2010 11:08 V512091930
Unrecognized command line option:  roompassword=
Dispatcher: track version = 512091930
Dispatcher:  initial random seed = 6979609
Dispatcher: apply random seed = 6979609
Cosmos:  Mission date assigned - Year:2004, Month:6, Day:22
DXDefTexture:  failed to load samara-red.bmp, D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA.
DXDefTexture:  failed to load samara-blue.bmp, D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA.
DXDefTexture:  failed to load samara-cherry.bmp, D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA.
Warning:   (effect class Graphics::DXProjLight) must be loaded to step 1, step 0  reported.
DXDefTexture: failed to load Noise_Empty.dds,  D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA.
Warning: Noise_Empty.dds (texture class  Graphics::DXDefTexture) must be loaded to step 1, step 0 reported.

Edited by Spades_Neil
I have an error report now.

Could you run a DxDiag output and attach that? Directions in the first post here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=44466

Also, could you do Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Problem Reports and Solutions > View Problem History and copy-paste entries for LockOn in here? It would look something like this:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
Application Name:	LockOn.exe
Application Version:	1.1.2.0
Application Timestamp:	36765312
Fault Module Name:	VIEW.DLL
Fault Module Version:	6.0.6002.18005
Fault Module Timestamp:	49e03824
Exception Code:	c0000135
Exception Offset:	0006f04e
OS Version:	6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID:	1053
Additional Information 1:	9d13
Additional Information 2:	1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
Additional Information 3:	9d13
Additional Information 4:	1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

Lock On 2.0 better work bloody perfect. >_> When is it supposed to come out again?

It's actually FC2, but aside from that, the release date is "when it's done". ;)

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Also, could you do Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Problem Reports and Solutions > View Problem History and copy-paste entries for LockOn in here?

No such thing exists in my control panel. Or if it does, I can't find it.

I really hate Windows 7 sometimes...

As for the DirectX Diagnostic, I just attached that now.

Edited by Spades_Neil

Hi Spades.

did you install in root directory i.e. C:\LOFC if you install in program files. the program files folders are usally locked out with security access. (UAC thing).

Hope that help

Maximus, The only real Maximus in DCS World. :music_whistling:

I am not associated to viper 33 | Maximus. he is the imposter.

I have similar problems, also with Win 7 64-bit.

Have you tried re-running the A̶u̶g̶ ̶0̶9̶ Feb 10 directx install? I have and the crashes have become less frequent, if not totally fixed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0cef8180-e94a-4f56-b157-5ab8109cb4f5

Edited by kaiserb_uk

Hi Spades.

did you install in root directory i.e. C:\LOFC if you install in program files. the program files folders are usally locked out with security access. (UAC thing).

Hope that help

I uninstalled and reinstalled it already. Lost a bunch of data in the process. :\ No differences.

Windows 7 is incredibly stupid for expecting me NOT to use my Program Files. >_> I mean, seriously, isn't that WHY I have a programs folder?

It's not Windows fault - programmers have to change the way their programs work. This has been the case since Vista, remember LockOn is much older than that. Arma2 is a good example - the .ini/.cfg files that you might need to mess about with are in the \User\Saved Games folder.

It's not Windows fault - programmers have to change the way their programs work. This has been the case since Vista, remember LockOn is much older than that. Arma2 is a good example - the .ini/.cfg files that you might need to mess about with are in the \User\Saved Games folder.

True. Though I suppose it is popular action to blame Windows for everything that goes wrong with it. :P

I had similar "lockon.exe stopped responding" crashes in win7 x64 till I ran the game in vista sp1 compatibility mode. Stopped the crashes.....so far.

rt click .exe

Properties

Compatibility

Run in compatibility for…”vista sp1”

as 1.12b was pushed out to make FC work on vista, this is the least flaky compatibility mode for win 7 x64 that I have experienced

you've killed UAC right?

i had a nightmare fannying around till i followed this

http://www.dutch-flankers.nl/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_Flaming_Cliffs_on_Windows_7

from scratch. then all i had to do was the compatability fix.

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Hey Spades.

Where did you install Lockon? If it's in either the "c:\Program Files (x86)" or "c:\Program Files" folders, uninstall and reinstall it in c:\Games or something along those lines.

I already did that. Crashing continues. Did you read the first post?

Edited by Spades_Neil

I had similar "lockon.exe stopped responding" crashes in win7 x64 till I ran the game in vista sp1 compatibility mode. Stopped the crashes.....so far.

rt click .exe

Properties

Compatibility

Run in compatibility for…”vista sp1”

as 1.12b was pushed out to make FC work on vista, this is the least flaky compatibility mode for win 7 x64 that I have experienced

you've killed UAC right?

i had a nightmare fannying around till i followed this

http://www.dutch-flankers.nl/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_Flaming_Cliffs_on_Windows_7

from scratch. then all i had to do was the compatability fix.

The compatibility thing did nothing to help either. But What is UAC? Maybe this could help.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I spent hours and hours with FC 1.12 and Win 7 64. Installed in c:\games, disabled UAC, no mods installed etc, etc. With my PC configuration, FC would crash with memory leaks after minutes of play. This does not mean that other people with other configs might not have the same issues, but I did.

FC was designed before Vista and 7. You can't blame MS or ED. All I can suggest is dual boot into XP if you can't find a solution, which is what I have done.

Neil, anything happen before FC crashes? Loss of FPS, graphic corruption, etc?

I spent hours and hours with FC 1.12 and Win 7 64. Installed in c:\games, disabled UAC, no mods installed etc, etc. With my PC configuration, FC would crash with memory leaks after minutes of play. This does not mean that other people with other configs might not have the same issues, but I did.

FC was designed before Vista and 7. You can't blame MS or ED. All I can suggest is dual boot into XP if you can't find a solution, which is what I have done.

Neil, anything happen before FC crashes? Loss of FPS, graphic corruption, etc?

Not usually, although more recently I've gotten a bizarre error where my screen goes black for five seconds, but the game DOESN'T crash in this case.

However, my controller doesn't respond, nor does my keyboard. Not even my mouse! Lock On just does not knowledge them. This has only happened twice so far, but both times I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get out of Lock On, since not even the escape button works.

Not usually, although more recently I've gotten a bizarre error where my screen goes black for five seconds, but the game DOESN'T crash in this case.

However, my controller doesn't respond, nor does my keyboard. Not even my mouse! Lock On just does not knowledge them. This has only happened twice so far, but both times I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get out of Lock On, since not even the escape button works.

did you try the starforce drivers update for win7?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Know what. I have managed to find a fix. but it inculdes to format the hard drive. create new partition (delete old one). and it works for more than 5 hours of flight time in LOFC.

install windows 7

once windows 7 is DONE installing. Turn off UAC immedately and DEP too.

install any necessary, TiR4, Vid card, chipset and etc drivers.

install lockon from CD

Patch it to 1.12b (vanilla install)

Hope it will work that way. (I have done this serveral times. and tried many fixes and I even find the fixes it works for a week until it began CTD into desktop right after start up) so I decided to format and follow the steps I mentioned above, it was my LAST activation which I already exhausted. even I used SF registry but it is always o/s fixed and it dont work. since It says XP. not win7. make sure you make back up of registry from proper O/S.

I would say give this a shot if you have knowledge of how to install o/s and partition the hard drive formatting etc.

Hope that is helpful

Maximus, The only real Maximus in DCS World. :music_whistling:

I am not associated to viper 33 | Maximus. he is the imposter.

I have done all that stuff, and mine still locks up. I can not fault anyone since Win 7 was not released when FC was put out. Having said that, when FC 2.0 comes out it better be fully compatible with Win 7 64bit.

Intel I7 975 Extreme 3.33GHz

Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit

12g RAM

GeForce GTX 285 (Driver version 196.21)

1900X1280 Resolution

Flaming Cliffs Version 2.0

Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS

Doesn't anyone actually read the first post? This is getting annoying. Two people now have asked this redundant question.

no; as that would take away my time, and i would have to charge you for the advise!

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

i bit of update for you win7 users 4gb of ram or more

Microsoft's hotfix KB976972

but word of caution more and more win7 users are reporting more problems,

and win vista 64 bit users less... MMmmmm staying with vista/64 until they hammer it out or stop support for vista as I have it working great with all my games...