According to EULA it is Illegal to place Mods for LOMAC on Websites?

I refer specifically to this line in the EULA, which all of you that have installed LOMAC 1.1 have agreed to :

"You may only modify the "Program" for your own usage. Placement of any parts of the original or modified "Program" on the Internet, or any other open resource, is prohibited"

And if there were any doubts as to what Program refers to, it does refer to the complete LOMAC 1.1 game :

""Program" hereinafter refers to the Unofficial Add-on "Flaming Cliffs" for "Lock On: Modern Air Combat" PC entertainment flight simulation. The Full Installation Package of the "Program" includes:

1. A self extracting Main Archive File, "LO_1.1_Flaming_Cliffs_Setup.exe", that contains executable programs, libraries, resources, sound files, data files and textures."

So....I know this might just be legalese and it might be 'just' an agreement..but under the terms of this agreement, it clearly makes sites such as LOMACFILES, or LockONSkins illegal for distributing Mods to the community. The only site that would be 'legal' to distribute LOMAC related mods that edit game files, like skins, sound files like zzSpace or terrain textures, any game file according to the legalese, would be an officially sanctioned ED site, either lockon.ru or some other.

If someone else has another interpretation and I'm wrong, please say.

Possession and consumption of canabis is not legal in the Netherlands. But you won't be prosecuted if you get caught. That's what is called "tolerating".

Same here. If ED tolerates your mod you are alright. They just keep the right to do whatever they want.

All it is saying is you cannot take stuff from the game and place it on a website, not stuff you created on your own that can be placed in the game. To be clear, taking one of the default skins and posting it on a website would be a violation, however creating your own skin mod is not.

"You may only modify the "Program" for your own usage. Placement of any parts of the original or modified "Program" on the Internet"

To me, that means that you can adjust Program files for your own usage only.Remember, that the definition of PROGRAM is ALL the files in the LockOn directory, including Textures, resources, Data directories etc.

They were *very* specific about that:

"that contains executable programs, libraries, resources, ***sound files***, data files and ***textures***."

Placing any of the original files , or files that you have adjusted on a website or any other open resource is against the rules of the EULA.

That part seems clear to me, the english isn't that ambiguous at all.

One might choose to ignore the EULA, or choose to think that no one will ever enforce it....but it seems that providing Mods online is certainly against the terms of the EULA. Which might lead a person to wonder whether the developers themselves really understand what the lawyers are putting in their EULAs??

I'll pack mine up and send the to ED :D just kidding.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

I don't use too many mods but I haven't noticed any mods that use original or modified files from the game. If I create a skin, it is my skin not a modified skin. What else is there? .lua scripts? .cfg files? I could type my own and not use modified ones.

I don't use too many mods but I haven't noticed any mods that use original or modified files from the game. If I create a skin, it is my skin not a modified skin. What else is there? .lua scripts? .cfg files? I could type my own and not use modified ones.

I've seen texture packs out there. Definitely the original textures would be modified.I've seen sound files, the original soundfiles are either replaced or modified.I've seen Loadouts and modified log files. If the files were not based on the original files, they wouldn't work with the game.

But, if someone else has said the original EULA made even sharing missions illegal, then I guess no one pays attention to the EULAs.

I just did because of the whole StarForce issue and I was surprised by what was there.

there's plenty of dicussions about EULAs, mods and legal issues in the racesim world at the moment. currently FIRST-racing (who own the Nascar 2003 code) are suing an individual who refused to withdraw his mod from his website. Many other mods where also killed.

• 6 months later...

Let's have some official ED person in here that can say if they are against mods/skins or not.

If they are... well, that's too bad as such things are a big part of the LOMAC community.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

oo ya i think that if in the U.S it would not be ilegal becose you can copy right the mods you make. now if i take some of the stuff that i paid for in the game and mod it and sell it. it would be ilegal may be but if thay pay you for your half wether or not you say its ok. it would not make it throught the US legal... plus

you would make a legal mess that would draw the press and people would stop byeing the game or wanting to be part of it. so it is a lose lose. :)

sixersig4iv.jpg

do not run fly!

oo ya i think that if in the U.S it would not be ilegal becose you can copy right the mods you make. now if i take some of the stuff that i paid for in the game and mod it and sell it. it would be ilegal may be but if thay pay you for your half wether or not you say its ok. it would not make it throught the US legal... plus

you would make a legal mess that would draw the press and people would stop byeing the game or wanting to be part of it. so the is a lose lose. :)

USA's legal system.... :icon_neut... :icon_lol:

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5