Interview with Andrey Chizh of Eagle Dynamics

Spread Wings, a Russian air combat simulation blog, recently published an interview with Andrey Chizh of Eagle Dynamics. Although the prompt for the interview was the upcoming release of Flaming Cliffs 2.0, it included what I thought were a number of great questions and answers on the more general topics of company background and the market for air combat sims. The FC2 screenshots were also quite good!

Good day! My name is Andrey Chizh and I am an assistant project manager and QA manager with Eagle Dynamics. I’ve been with the company since 2003 and participated in the development of Lock-On: Modern Air Combat, Lock-On: Flaming Cliffs and DCS: Black Shark air combat simulations.

Andrey, there are not many good simulations and even less good air combat simulations. Is this a crisis of the genre? Is it just too challenging?

Air combat simulations are quite a niche product that necessitates high development costs and meets a low share of market demand. There are not many gamers on this front and as a result, the number of quality products can be counted on your hands. This is how it’s always been, more or less. Call it a perpetual crisis or call it a stable situation with low levels of activity.

Why does Eagle Dynamics work on air combat simulations when it is not a very profitable genre in the world of computer games? If you can, a few words about the company…

Eagle Dynamics was formed over 15 years ago now and it has been working on air combat simulations from the beginning. The first hit was the Flanker series – versions 1, 2, 2.5. In 2003, Lock-On was released, followed by the Flaming Cliffs add-on. A new product series was launched last year– Digital Combat Simulator, featuring the Ka-50 Black Shark. Currently, we are preparing the third and final installment of Lock-On – Flaming Cliffs 2.0 and at the same time are developing the second DCS installment – the A-10C Warthog.

Developing air combat simulations is the craft of Eagle Dynamics. It is what we’ve always done, thanks to the company director and founder, Igor Tishin. There are currently about 35 staff on the team. Many of them are enthusiasts in their own right, connected to aviation and aviation simulation in one way or another. Many have engineering backgrounds, often related to aerospace. Some staff members fly aerobatic aircraft privately. Ultimately, the team has the collective know-how to produce world-standard quality combat aircraft simulations.

Why did you decide to release a continuation of Lock-On with Flaming Cliffs 2.0, even though everyone believed that company resources were mostly focused on DCS: A-10C?

The idea to release a second add-on for Lock-On was born long ago, but due to a number of legal nuances in our relationship with the publisher – Ubisoft – it had to be put on the shelf. Recently, the questions regarding the release of a second add-on had been cleared up and we began to work. With FC2, we hope to extend the lifetime for Lock-On by adding new features developed for DCS and somewhat updating the game in general. Besides this, we’ve received many requests from our users around the world for another patch for Lock-On to solve a number of key issues. These requests also played a role in the creation of FC2. At the same time, we are continuing to develop the A-10C for the next installment of DCS and are also pursuing a number of professional trainer projects.

How has the announcement of Lock-On Flaming Cliffs 2.0 been received by the Lock-On audience?

Overall, it has been received positively. Of course, there are some unsatisfied players that would have liked more. This is quite a normal division of opinions and wishes. For some, even a little is enough to be happy, while others want everything now.

What specific goals did you set in developing FC2? For example, I understand that the game engine used in DCS: Black Shark was a significant factor. Will this conversion prove justified?

Yes, of course it will be justified. In developing Black Shark, we were able to create a number of interesting features, which help to significantly improve the gameplay experience. Most important is the trigger system, which allows for the scripting of mission actions and events. This allows mission creators to create missions which are more interactive and unpredictable. Depending on the player’s actions, the mission environment can change significantly. Besides this, there is an entirely new GUI system, new mission editor, new game options and input configuration systems. Even the graphics engine underwent some cosmetic upgrades, helping it look quite on level today. The essential goal of FC2 is clear – enable the flyable aircraft of Lock-On in the virtual world of DCS.

Could you briefly discuss the gameplay background and story? Perhaps you have created something unique?

Back when Lock-On was under development, it was decided to expand the theatre of the Flanker series to the south, toward Georgia. Back then, this was one of any number of possibilities, equally hypothetical to the war in the Crimea featured in the Flanker series. Later, Flaming Cliffs was released and featured a hypothetical conflict between Russia and Georgia. In 2005, we had no idea that it would become reality in 2008. As it happened, the South Ossetian conflict did occur over a year ago now and the terrain covered in DCS is quite relevant to actual events. FC2 will include a campaign from the perspective of an Su-25 pilot deployed to Abkhazia, where a new hypothetical conflict will erupt between Russia and Georgia with NATO support. Besides this, there will be a number of single missions based on different flyable aircraft taking part in the conflict around Abkhazia, including the A-10 and F-15 on the side of NATO [as well as a number of additional campaigns we hope to include for some of the other flyables, including the A-10 and F-15C, EB].

Flaming Cliffs pleased players with its visuals and advanced physics. Do you still have potential to improve the physics modeling? What new technologies do you plan to surprise with this time?

Flaming Cliffs 2.0 will feature the physics modeling developed for DCS. Most importantly, this includes the physics modeling of all aircraft unguided munitions, such as free-fall bombs and unguided rockets. All ballistic munitions will be modeled dynamically, including everything from machine gun rounds to ship-borne artillery. Ricochet effects for bullets and armor-piercing ammunition is now also modeled. Given these improvements, gun employment in aerial dogfights has been painted in new colors due to the differences in weapons such as the Russian single-barrel 30mm GSh-301 and the American six-barrel “Vulcan”. Each system has its advantages and disadvantages. The Russian gun is bigger and enjoys better ballistics, but at the cost of a lower rate of fire. The American gun is less accurate, but effectively covers the target with a “cloud” of metal.

Will there be an official online server for FC2? How much emphasis are you placing on developing the multiplayer aspect and what steps are you taking in this regard?

The main multiplayer feature of FC2 will be online compatibility with the Ka-50 of DCS: Black Shark. This means that both fixed-wing and helicopter pilots will be able to fight in the same virtual battlefield, which should improve the gameplay potential significantly. It will make it possible to simulate coordinated action between fixed-wing tactical and rotary-wing army aviation. Given a well prepared team and proper administration, it will be possible to conduct joint strike operations like in the real world.

I can’t comment yet regarding an official server. It is something we will be discussing internally.

What stage is the project in now? Is there at least an approximate release date?

The project is in the final development stage. We will soon begin final testing and will then have a better idea of a specific release date. For now – early 2010.

This question may be somewhat provocative – do you think Russian and overseas players still await this title?

Without a doubt, yes. Unfortunately, not many modern air combat simulations are available. Besides, Lock-On has long enjoyed one of the leading positions in the simulations market. I do understand there are some hardcore players for whom the depth of detailed realism is the driving factor and they might prefer to wait for the A-10C.

Air combat simulation players are the smallest group among all. How would you estimate the number of these players in Russia and abroad?

I would say that only about 10 percent of the gaming audience buys flight sims. Of these, probably less than half are true enthusiasts.

Who is currently working on the new title – the same people that made the original or new staff members? Also, how do you handle user feedback?

Everyone from the original Flanker team is long gone. The core of the current team consists of those who had worked on Lock-On. Periodically, people will leave, new faces will come and sometimes those who went will return. It’s no different than any other company in this regard.

To facilitate communication with users, we opened an official company forum in 2003. Over the past 6 years, it has grown significantly and has even become international. I try to communicate with users daily. This is useful for a number of reasons: it provides technical support to users, helps us collect bugs and game issues, and provides feedback and response to the community. Sometimes, ideas suggested on the forums eventually make their way into a product. Live contact with players helps us stay in touch with “the people”.

What do you think helps and, conversely, hampers the development of a project? Also, how do you find the thin line between an enjoyable game and a hardcore simulator?

Those are not easy questions. Besides the normal difficulties of human laziness and carelessness, which are sometimes encountered, a project can be hampered by a fanatical desire to do as much as possible and as well as possible. This is a kind of developer greed [“feature-creep” – EB]. As a result of such perfectionism, deadlines are often missed and budgets are emptied. Really, this is a challenge of most game developer companies. There needs to be a balance of features and deadlines, so that the project does not end up competing with the development costs of a fifth-generation fighter. On the other hand, the same passions often benefit the development process as individual team members apply their personal talents and enthusiasm. Many of our interesting features are created based on the initiative of individuals who are driven by an idea that captures their imagination and which they pursue out of personal interest.

A combination of hardcore simulation and easy gameplay is a practical impossibility. These are more or less mutually exclusive ideas. One possible solution is to have two gameplay modes, one with hardcore models and one with easy models. Another possible solution is to develop two different products, as we are currently doing – the hardcore DCS series and the more “democratic” Lock-On series. Nevertheless, despite the hardcore nature of DCS: Black Shark, we tried to create an environment where the process of controlling the aircraft and clicking the numerous switches is not the exclusive goal of the simulation. We included an atmospheric and interactive campaign, where the Ka-50 is merely an instrument for its progression.

Game mods - what are your thoughts on this topic?

We have quite a steady approach to community modifications. We don’t yet have an SDK to allow the development of flyable aircraft, but we do utilize LUA scripting. This allows advanced users to create various 3rd-party modifications for things like external flight instruments and home cockpits as well as various utilities for data and gameplay management, such as AWACS or ACMI tools. Besides this, users are actively working on various textures and 3D models. In general, I believe the more mods, the better. Everyone can find something to keep their interest.

What recommendations would you make to your fans and to the newcomers?

To our fans, I offer my traditional recommendation for patience. Air combat simulations are complex products and they are not created quickly. To the newcomers, I suggest to not be intimidated by the myriad of unfamiliar switches and displays in the cockpits of modern combat aircraft and just fly to have fun. Knowledge of avionics and how it all works will come with experience.

Good luck in the skies to all!

0.thumb.jpg.a4a472f6423e4e6bb27af9dede089a41.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.85f004b1b9722621048725dd4b4dd7ca.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.0d2cd74d82b430fb71bf85dea294f1ab.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.8d04b2064ed4a0f961f64867b7395d78.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.0bf697121c0c85535cf83bbb1aa2536d.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.7ffd69a55765a588f768340a511fe3bf.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.18e58013ca620c004e2c4918b317b6ff.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.2c9d2aa2f07d4d93b80e9e45cc0a3f45.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.84cfbdef06d4ea5d8bd65822380e9b8b.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.47f7c6d8f824718d784f83290f6d6d2d.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.b916292d4c25609135bdea9427811d99.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.5a0dac7a1cd58976d0e46bbd3274810c.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.a11c10444ccee874b5cc42aab0cf08b2.jpg

Edited by EvilBivol-1
  • Like 1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

a question i always want to ask to sims developing team members, and this is no exception, is if the sim developing is their sole professional (and financial support) activity or if they make a living from other activities and the sim developing is a parallel occupation ?

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

Very sweet read. Feels good to "hear" (read) an interactive voice after so long from the Team. I always missed this kind of feedback here.

After almost loosing hope it turnes out that things moving forward now.....

or in the words of BoRaT: Greeaaat SucccCSseeeSS :D

Edited by A.S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am a bit shocked Flanker team is gone long time ago :O

yeap .. interesting info ...

(Flanker ... ♥ ... SO excited back then with it ... and times when market was cluttered with flight sims ... coming in boxes with multipage color print manuals

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

Interesting insights in the development and market analysis.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Good interiew but i´d like to know what can we expect to come with A-10? 64bit support, multicore, do ED plan a dynamic campaign or are they willing to stay with scripted missions?

When do they plan to programe an AG radar for aircrafts?

How about new scenarios like Afghanistan?

How many people would they need in their team?

How about new technologies or features they are working on?

Thanks anyway, every info is good for us flightfanatics :-)

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

Thank you for the translations, Ebil - much appreciated :)

Some great response and thoughts from Chizh there.

.. I sorta expected an interview and replies in ASM and Cpp :D

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

What happened to Flanker team? Nothing sinister I'm sure.

It is the computer industry, it is the modern age. Gone are the days when someone stays in one job for life. Someone staying 2 or 3 years is typical of software companies. You get better and faster pay increases by changing to a different company.

Myself - I joined the software industry in 1980 after college. I left my first company after two years and 4 months. Why? - to get experience of different work and to get more money. I'm sure it is no different in Moscow, or L.A. or Bombay.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Interesting read thanks

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

A question: do the developers ever fly online, and if so, would they be interested in a squad match?

I do recall a mention at someplace where Wags said he does on occasion fly online - but he does so under other names than "Wags". I'm sure you can appreciate why. It wouldn't be much of an online game if everyone's time is spent harassing the poor developer through the message interface. ;)

I'd expect this holds true for several developers and not just Wags. Basically - anytime you have an unknown face on your server it just might be one of the devs. ;)

EDIT:

And by the way, Panzer, which dialect of ASM? If he had answered in 68k ASM he would officially be my new god. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I do recall a mention at someplace where Wags said he does on occasion fly online - but he does so under other names than "Wags". I'm sure you can appreciate why. It wouldn't be much of an online game if everyone's time is spent harassing the poor developer through the message interface. ;)

I'd expect this holds true for several developers and not just Wags. Basically - anytime you have an unknown face on your server it just might be one of the devs. ;)

EDIT:

And by the way, Panzer, which dialect of ASM? If he had answered in 68k ASM he would officially be my new god. :D

His online handle is a lot closer to his actual name than you think :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Nice to have an insider viewpoint, very informative.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.