Mission Editor - Hot Tips

MadTommy

Thanks a million, i played with those boxes ticked and unticked, but i couldn't notice any differences.Anyway, i'll keep testing.

There is an option in the .. options menu .. which is something along the lines of "use these settings for all missions", which might override at least some of the settings in the mission itself.

Here, for example, i have a mission. 4 x F-86 ( and me ) versus some russian planes, etc

I tried to remove all those 4 x F-86, i want to play alone vs all those russian planes

But after i remove all of them ( F-86 ) nothing happent ( attached image )

I attached the modified mission, as well.

Can't look at the mission at the moment and I'm not sure what the screenshot is supposed to be showing.

How did you remove the extra aircraft? My best guess is that you're set up as the lead in a flight of four aircraft, and you deleted the entire flight - so when you start the mission you just have an external camera somewhere?

If you want to go solo, then you'd have to select the flight which includes the player aircraft, and reduce the number of aircraft in it to 1. That will get rid of the AI aircraft.

The player aircraft is the one with the skill level set to "player" (you can also use "client", but "player" works smoother for single-player).

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks a million, i played with those boxes ticked and unticked, but i couldn't notice any differences.Anyway, i'll keep testing.

Some months late, but in case you didn't find out (or anyone else has the problem):

Let's take for example unlimited ammo. If you tick no boxes, it means the player can play with or without unlimited ammo. He can set this under his options.

If you tick the left box it means you override the user's setting and force him to use the setting you provide in the mission, which is basically the right box. Left on, right off means you force him to play without unlimited ammo, both on means you force him to play with unlimited ammo.

• Like 1

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Nomdeplume & MasterZelgadis, thanks for the clarification regarding the check-boxes on either side of all the 'Mission Options' in Mission Editor....

been puzzled by that for some time now too..

ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard / Intel Core i7-3930K Unlocked Processor Six Core / Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 Dominator Memory Kit - 32GB (4x 8GB) / OCZ Solid 3 480GB Solid State Drive / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ / Corsair CW-9060002-WW Hydro H70 CORE CPU Cooler / Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB Hard Drive / BenQ XL2420TX 24" Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor - 1920 x 1080 / Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64-bit / C-Tek 12-bit: Foot Pedals - Robinson Cyclic - 5-button-hat cyclic - Collective / TrackIR-5

• 1 month later...

[QOUTE]

Blank Template Mission with triggers set for 4 scenarios all with a 25% chance of occurring, but no two will occur at once. i.e make a mission where there are 4 different scenarios possible, with one being chosen randomly and the mission start.

Template Mission Download

Is this template still available anywhere. Couldnt find any Info about IT since the link seems to be down?

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

triggers set for 4 scenarios all with a 25% chance of occurring, but no two will occur at once
Is this template still available anywhere. Couldnt find any Info about IT since the link seems to be down?

Probably not... but it's a lot easier to do that now with the new trigger actions and conditions, anyway. The main relevant change is that flags are now not just true or false, but can also be set to integer values.

e.g. you can do the above with the following triggers:

1. MISSION START; (no condition); FLAG SET RANDOM VALUE (flag 1, min 1, max 4)
  2. MISSION START; FLAQ EQUALS (flag 1, value 1); GROUP ACTIVATE (...first scenario...)
  3. MISSION START; FLAG EQUALS (flag 1, value 2); GROUP ACTIVATE (...second scenario...)
  4. MISSION START; FLAG EQUALS (flag 1, value 3); GROUP ACTIVATE (...third scenario...)
  5. MISSION START; FLAG EQUALS (flag 1, value 4); GROUP ACTIVATE (...fourth scenario...)

Note that for this to work, triggers 2-5 need to be after the 'set random value' trigger in the trigger list, so they are checked after the flag value is set. If you make them "ONCE" triggers then it won't matter where they are in the list, but they won't be run until just after the mission starts.

Since this is quite trivial I won't attach a sample of that, but a slightly more general example which uses the same concept but with an additional flag which is used to start the random selection process. This allows you to have several of the options become active at various points during the mission, for example to have all four scenarios played out but in a random order each time the mission is flown.

In the attached mission, a radio option (in the F10 menu) is used to allow the player to spawn one of four different groups (selected at random). The player can spawn a new group whenever they want to. You could of course use another trigger to activate this; radio triggers are just a very handy way for testing your trigger logic.

The mission overview contains a brief explanation of how it works, but the triggers are pretty simple so shouldn't take much figuring out.

I've placed a player-controlled Su-25T at Kobuleti (just to the north of the target area) since that's a default aircraft everyone has, and you need to be "in" something in order to use the F10 options; but feel free to replace it with another aircraft of your choice.

4-options-template.miz

This is perfect, thanks!

I played around with some random triggering before using it to spawn several sam threats randomly. But never thought about using it to randomize a whole scenario. Your version with various points in a mission is even better! Thanks a lot for the great advise and explanation!

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if there is already this task described/solved or not in this topic. I didn't read it all. I just solved one issue of mine and want to share my solution because someone may find it useful (even for other purpose than originally intended). If it is duplicate post feel free to ignore/erase it.

Problem:

In endless loop spawn/activate random group of units after elapsing certain time from previous spawn. Or do whatever else you want. Main point basically is this endless loop/cycle of doing/repeating something after time periods.

Simple solution just via triggers:

Init: Mission Start -> empty -> Flag On [1] / Flag Off [2], Set Flag Value [2, 0] (flag 1 on = we are waiting, flag 1 off = we are spawning, choose on/off depending if you want first spawn on mission start or after first time period from mission start; flag 2 is for no use yet so give him value that does nothing but it is good to keep it here for we see we are using this flag somewhere in this mission later on)

Spawner: Continuous Action -> Flag Is False [1] -> Flag Set Random Value [2, 1, 10], Flag On [1] (everytime flag 1 is false/off set random value for flag 2 between 1 and 10 - flag 2 is spawning flag - and then turn flag 1 to true/on for inicialize waiting period in Repeater)

Repeater: Continuous Action -> Time Since Flag [1, 300] -> Flag Off [1] (after flag 1 switched to true/on by spawn in Spawner wait 300 seconds and turn flag 1 false/off - inicialize new spawn via Spawner)

Spawn Unit 1: Once -> Flag Equals [2, 1] -> Group Activate [Group 1] (spawn group 1)

Spawn Unit 2: Once -> Flag Equals [2, 2] -> Group Activate [Group 2] (spawn group 2)

Spawn Unit 10: Once -> Flag Equals [2, 10] -> Group Activate [Group 10] (spawn group 10)

Of course this solution have some issues. But every simple solution does, unfortunatelly. Issues are:

1) Though time loop is endless, unit groups are not. Meaning at certain time you run out of group to spawn.

2) If random generator generate number that it did already in the past nothing will spawn because unit for spawn is already spawned.

3) As you run out of units for spawn there is less probability to spawn anything in every new cycle.

Edited by Andrew-76

Not sure if there is already this task described/solved or not in this topic. I didn't read it all. I just solved one issue of mine and want to share my solution because someone may find it useful (even for other purpose than originally intended). If it is duplicate post feel free to ignore/erase it.

Problem:

In endless loop spawn/activate random group of units after elapsing certain time from previous spawn. Or do whatever else you want. Main point basically is this endless loop/cycle of doing/repeating something after time periods.

Simple solution just via triggers:

Init: Mission Start -> empty -> Flag On [1] / Flag Off [2], Set Flag Value [2, 0] (flag 1 on = we are waiting, flag 1 off = we are spawning, choose on/off depending if you want first spawn on mission start or after first time period from mission start; flag 2 is for no use yet so give him value that does nothing but it is good to keep it here for we see we are using this flag somewhere in this mission later on)

Spawner: Continuous Action -> Flag Is False [1] -> Flag Set Random Value [2, 1, 10], Flag On [1] (everytime flag 1 is false/off set random value for flag 2 between 1 and 10 - flag 2 is spawning flag - and then turn flag 1 to true/on for inicialize waiting period in Repeater)

Repeater: Continuous Action -> Time Since Flag [1, 300] -> Flag Off [1] (after flag 1 switched to true/on by spawn in Spawner wait 300 seconds and turn flag 1 false/off - inicialize new spawn via Spawner)

Spawn Unit 1: Once -> Flag Equals [2, 1] -> Group Activate [Group 1] (spawn group 1)

Spawn Unit 2: Once -> Flag Equals [2, 2] -> Group Activate [Group 2] (spawn group 2)

Spawn Unit 10: Once -> Flag Equals [2, 10] -> Group Activate [Group 10] (spawn group 10)

Of course this solution have some issues. But every simple solution does, unfortunatelly. Issues are:

1) Though time loop is endless, unit groups are not. Meaning at certain time you run out of group to spawn.

2) If random generator generate number that it did already in the past nothing will spawn because unit for spawn is already spawned.

3) As you run out of units for spawn there is less probability to spawn anything in every new cycle.

Andrew, #2/3 can be solved by adding flags on the spawn group lines and then running that check in the conditions. You might have to slightly change your repeater logic, I'm not sure because it's late and I'm tired! But I have done what you have and it works great so that if it tries to spawn something that already has been it keeps trying until it gets one that works.

So on your spawn group line in the actions add another flag to signify it has been done (say flag 23), and in the same trigger conditions check that flag 23 is false and make sure that's the first line in the conditions.

Hope that kinda makes sense and helps.

Andrew, #2/3 can be solved by adding flags on the spawn group lines and then running that check in the conditions. You might have to slightly change your repeater logic, I'm not sure because it's late and I'm tired! But I have done what you have and it works great so that if it tries to spawn something that already has been it keeps trying until it gets one that works.

So on your spawn group line in the actions add another flag to signify it has been done (say flag 23), and in the same trigger conditions check that flag 23 is false and make sure that's the first line in the conditions.

Hope that kinda makes sense and helps.

I know there is solution (maybe even several) for described limitations and I was thinking about one myself but I didn't develop/implement any for two reasons. First - for my case I don't mind those limitations. It is additional randomized factor: sometimes it may happen to nothing will be spawn. Bad/good (depending on your side of course) luck happens. Second - I wanted to make my example here as simple as possible. Anyway thank you for reaction. I think it may help people who wants to create more reliable spawning alghoritm :)

• 3 months later...

Hello,

i want to use flags to have certain events reappear every x minutes without scripting.

either

having event A every (f.e.) 60min, followed by Event B (f.e.) 20min after Event A

or

having A (f.e.) 20min after mission start, followed by Event B 20min after A and having that followed again by Event A after 20min...

(start->20min->EventA->20min->EventB->20min->EventA... and so on)

what would be a simple and effective way to do sth. like this? :)

Here is a basic loop.

Notice the one time trigger to get it started. After that it loops.

Good, but it works more simply so as:

1st trigger: same

2nd trigger actions: smoke maker on unit (pilot #001, GREEN)+flag on (1)

3rd trigger: deleted

:smilewink:

Brontolo VIAF

• 4 weeks later...

ah, that's even simpler. thx.

another quick question:

i did some testing, but could not fully comprehend how ai knows of other units. ai (awacs being the exception) seem not to talk to each other outside of groups, yet some units seem to know, that enemies are near. for example radar SAMs will turn on the radar when an enemy gets only near their radars max range.

are ai just cheating a little bit, or is there more to it?

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

I've some questions, that is less about the editing itself, but about an aspect of realism:

when placing an powerful Early Warning Radar Antenna, or maybe just a search radar for a sam site, how near can i place other units for it to be still somewhat realistic. I guess, you don't want to stand directly beside a working EWR, but how big a distance would be safe for humans not to be in great danger. 10 meter, 100 meters?

also is there a website or something, where you can see reference photos of installations like russian EWRs and sam sites, to get a basic idea of layout and composition?

also in reality, when there is no danger of enemy ground forces, is it safe to say, that generally EWRs and long-range-sams would be deployed on the highest point, that is suited for deployment within the AO? deployment on a high point would of course give best radar range, but i wonder, if it would make sense to deploy in a valley to trade in range and all-around-visibility for the ability to have better low altitude coverage in a smaller area...

Both for the above. Sam operator would say the valley :)

For distances, it is all about who are you against. But there are tech specs you can't overcome. E. G. the Kub Sam, you can not place them launchers further than 500m from the ST radar, but there is wired connection also available. Better signaling in case of interference. Of course for much less than 500m. Newer units have most likely multiple solutions so it is safe to say that within a km range you are realistic. If it is not WW3.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én SM-A510F eszközömről

[sIGPIC]http://www.forum.lockon.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5279_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I could shot down a Kitchen :smartass:

thanks for the reply!

for the distance between radar and unit though, i was referring to the distance a human could be to a working radar without suffering from radiation.

for example i have placed a EWR and want to add some objects to the EWR site to make it look more realistic (some trucks, some tents, some AAA) and i was wondering how near i could place these units to the EWR to still be realistic, as i guess in reality there would be zone around a EWR in which human would suffer from the radiation...

I would think that the way DCS has set up EWR etc near Airports probably takes these factors into consideration (to try to make them as realistic as possible).

Therefore, I would considering spacing things as you can see and measure at many of the airports (or "auto-generated mission" airports).

SnowTiger:joystick:

@snowTiger: good idea. thx!

another quick question: does anyone know, how i can set up, which unit is shown in the background of f.e. the MP role select screen? i would prefer to just have the init airfield shown, or maybe some unit on the init airfield, instead of some enemy unit hundreds of miles away.

another question:

do you know, , if grouped units share intel about enemies? for example, would a strela-sam be more aware of enemies, if grouped with a shilka, which has greater detection area, than the strela.