Did you move to Win7? Report in please.

Cool!

If you have any problems or questions for setting up Win7, feel free to send me a PM.

I'd also like to hear about your impressions with your new OS. :thumbup:

Just don't forget to backup all the important stuff ;)

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Cool!

If you have any problems or questions for setting up Win7, feel free to send me a PM.

I'd also like to hear about your impressions with your new OS. :thumbup:

Just don't forget to backup all the important stuff ;)

that's very generous of you, FF. Much appreciated too. I'm not sure what to expect from Win7 versus WinXP, in general. My last WinXP gaming rig ran my favorite sims (LockOn/FC and IL2) pretty well flawlessly. We'll see how Win7 does. I'm hopeful Win7 and the 1366 socket will do me well for the next few years; along with DX11. Imagine DCS's flight sims with DX11. btw what do you think of Oleg's latest screens shots from Sow?

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

Is there a master list of drivers and software that does not work in Win7?

I am worried that some of my apps won't be supported, like Office 2003; iTunes; and tons of others that I use...

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Should not run in any compatibility mode under Win7 for Lockon. Sounds like you have a screwed up install. Windows 7 is essentially just a rebrand of Vista with some small changes but even though.

What do you mean? I have installed everything exactly the same as on Vista.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Is there a master list of drivers and software that does not work in Win7?

I am worried that some of my apps won't be supported, like Office 2003; iTunes; and tons of others that I use...

These are not really uncommon tools. I doubt you will have problems with those. Some may come with a warning during installation, but still they will work (like Winamp).

If you fear that a program won't run, I can only recommend this site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

The statements work pretty much like Wiki, if somebody has a problem it's posted here, which rather leads to a very cautious list (they even posted before that IL2 doesn't run with Vista and Win7, which is nonsense - works very nice indeed!)

@ 99th_Flyby:

I was very puzzled before, when Oleg was still insisting to use OpenGL. It's just so much more complicated to use OpenGL, so his choice to step forward and use DirectX (even DX10/11-features) is definitely a good sign, that they're no longer wasting time ;)

Die you see the animated gif with the StuKa's Prop in action? Lovely.

I think this one is getting pretty close to photorealism.

I especially love the shadows inside the cockpits - I really hope DCS will have that soon as well.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

These are not really uncommon tools. I doubt you will have problems with those.

Yea, I agree, but when I went to XP 64 Pro I could not find a version of iTunes that would support it. They all say wrong OS. I found many many posts about this and even a hack to change the setup.exe to allow Win x64 XP. I am using this hack now. Also, MSN Messenger does not work, so I am using Ventrillio, which has problems with sharing files and stuff.

Thanks for the site, I will check it out..

Snack

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

@ 99th_Flyby:

I was very puzzled before, when Oleg was still insisting to use OpenGL. It's just so much more complicated to use OpenGL, so his choice to step forward and use DirectX (even DX10/11-features) is definitely a good sign, that they're no longer wasting time ;)

Die you see the animated gif with the StuKa's Prop in action? Lovely.

I think this one is getting pretty close to photorealism.

I especially love the shadows inside the cockpits - I really hope DCS will have that soon as well.

I was taken by surprise to read that Oleg had abandoned OpenGL in favor of DX. I always ran IL2 in OpenGL. I have to say that the latest screens are just jaw-dropping, and I am very enthusiastically looking forward to the eventual release of SoW.

But no I did not see the animated gif you speak of. Where?! Where?!:pilotfly:

I do wonder what DCS has in store for us in the graphics for it's series. All things in good time, I assume.

Flyby out

Windows XP64bit was never intended to be a mainstream OS, so many drivers don't work and it was never considered important to adapt programs so they could be used under XP 64bit.

I know your pain, but your will pleasantly surprised how many companies made their software compatible with 64bit Vista and Win7. IMHO that is one thing Win7 really profits from: As the OS is so similar to Vista, you have all the programs readily at hand, that you really had to wait for when switching to Vista. But even then, programs were changed quickly - very much unlike XP64.

Animated Gif of SoW-Prop:

attachment.php?attachmentid=100727&d=1257256186

Edited by Feuerfalke

WOW! I had seen this screen shot of the Stuka, but had not realized it was also in gif format. The prop look very good. Just one more year and I'll be over the channel looking for targets! :pilotfly:

Flyby out

Anyone have any thoughts on Ubuntu as a gaming OS? I'm not famililar with it at all, so I'm asking.

Flyby out

Ubuntu is a solid, popular version of Linux. Cannonical and the user community have made tremendous strides with it. Kubuntu (Ubuntu with the KDE GUI instead of the Gnome GUI that Ubuntu uses) is also very good.

The main problem with using it for gaming, is a lack of games written for Linux. There are some, but they haven't seen the blockbuster success that publishers (understandably) want for their efforts.

So, depending on what you want to play, you may very well have to look into running programs under WINE or a commercially supported alternative. Or... you can look at virtual machine software (but then you're back to running Windows, only slower).

Since I don't know what you are contemplating as apps to run under Ubuntu, I'll make some generalized suggestions...

- Spend some time Googling up articles on Linux and whatever games you are interested in. Same thing for WINE and alternatives.

- You can try Ubuntu without actually installing it. Download the .iso for the install CD from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download , then burn the CD. It's a "Live CD", so you can run Ubuntu without it installing, to see if it works on your hardware, etc. Obviously, such a trial is not going to run as fast, or be as full featured as it would be with an actual install. It's a good way to get a first look, and see if it interest you enough to continue on with it.

- You can also run Ubuntu without doing a dual OS boot / multi- OS boot setup, with its attendant challenges / headaches. Search on "Wubi" to see how to do an install of Ubuntu (from within Windows) that doesn't require disk partitioning, etc.

If you eventually decide you want to go all in, and have an installed Ubuntu partition, I would suggest that you buy a separate hard drive (or SSD) for it to live on. It's a way to reduce the opportunity for mayhem during partitioning/formatting, etc. plus it keeps things a little cleaner should you want to move it or delete it later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

phew!

Thanks CyBerkut,

That gives me a clear picture of what I may be in for were I to try using a Linux offshoot for purely gaming. I think I'd rather avoid atypical problems and just deal with the typical ones Windows has/will present.:doh: I'm already partitioning the few remaining active brain cells I have!:D

Flyby out

Still WinXP 32 bit on main PC :)

and a good OS it is. ;) All my sims ran very smooth on WinXp-32bit. I'm hopeful to have as good an experience with Win7. We'll see.:)

Flyby out

moved from XP directly to win 7 professional X86 last week. I'm satisfied so far. small problems but everything turned out fine so far.

- i was annoied by the fact that i couldn't erase some folders: have to "give yourself" the right to..:huh:

- lock on is operational

- haven't noticed decreased fps in games

- winrar is faster

- ans yes it looks better :P

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

moved from XP directly to win 7 professional X86 last week. I'm satisfied so far. small problems but everything turned out fine so far.

- i was annoied by the fact that i couldn't erase some folders: have to "give yourself" the right to..:huh:

- lock on is operational

- haven't noticed decreased fps in games

- winrar is faster

- ans yes it looks better :P

hi asparagin,

Sounds like a happy beginning to me. What version of XP did you move from? Was it an upgrade, or a clean install?

Flyby out

From professional sp3 of course, I made a clean install. Does upgrading work also with xp? I thought only from vista.

By the way vista home to vista 7 professional doesn't go upgrading, only to 7 home.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

I doubt there is a way to simply upgrade from XP. There are simply too many changes from XP to Vista/Win7.

IIRC you can't upgrade Vista Home Versions at all.

As you posted, the new security features IMHO are the most obvious obstacles when going to Vista or Win7. But you can still disable them easily ;)

none of us is as smasrt as one of us!

Looks as if I'll be budgeting for the full version of Win7 Home Premium. I'll have to get the mom-in-law to drink faster so I can get more cash for recycled aluminum cans!:lol: BTW, I thought i saw where Win7 HP has no built-in backup. Am I wrong?

Flyby out

I went to Win 7 Ultimate (for the multi language support) 64-bit edition (but you get both 32 and 64 bits in any retail pack) last week and I have no regrets.

Some files are indeed locked until you grant them access by a user, but I believe this was also the case in Vista.

If you run into deleting problems, just browse the net and you'll find how to unlock easily.

System stability and performance is top notch so far and I haven't run into any compatibility issues yet.

Drivers seem to be widely available as well, even for older hardware.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

Has anyone tried having both XP and Win 7 on a single PC? On different partitions of course. Any problems? I`m asking cause I`m considering installing 7 but I want to keep XP.

It does work via dual-boot (you can choose to start XP or Win7 on start), but IMHO this is a waste of time and space. You have to decide that yourself, of course ;)

well done!

This thread is proving to be very informative. I thank all who respond/reply. Perhaps someone will one day create a sticky thread for Win7 use (not this one obviously). Anyway, I'm learning a lot from your replies, and just wanted to add a "Well done!!"

Flyby out

PS spread the word to keep them coming. All exeriences and questions are welcome.:)

• 2 weeks later...