Did you move to Win7? Report in please.

Hi all,

I'm struggling to decide which version of Win7 to buy, if at all. My goal is an OS for a system that will be primarily for gaming. OEM Home Premium? What to do?

thanks!

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

I went from XP Pro to Vista 64bit Ultimate Edition to Win7 Home Premium.

Ultimate versions stands for Ultimate ballast, if you ask me.

The version is great for business with networking PCs especially on shared documents, with the need of additional network-security and organizing tools. In other words: You will probably never see the stuff you payed too much for, compared to e.g. the HomePremium-Version.

I never had a problem with Vista, but I had to figure out how to streamline it to my needs. Switching again to Win7 was primarily based on the conclusions learned from my Vista Ultimate version. Stripping all the things from it, I didn't want or need, I found I basically had the HP-Version left + some extras I didn't really use that often.

So I went for Win7 HP and have all I want and need - don't miss a thing from the Ultimate package. And I even do work on my PC as well ;)

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Windows XP still :)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Is it worth to move if I have 1 core AMD 3000+ (1800 Mhz) overclocked to about 3500 (2200 Mhz), 1 GB of RAM and GF 7300 GT ?

I heard it is really fast like XP.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Is it worth to move if I have 1 core AMD 3000+ (1800 Mhz) overclocked to about 3500 (2200 Mhz), 1 GB of RAM and GF 7300 GT ?

I heard it is really fast like XP.

No.

It responds faster than Vista, but it's as big as Vista. Actually it's still mostly Vista under the hood and it uses almost the same amount of resources as Vista. My used memory under streamlined Win7 is 50MB smaller than my rigged Vista ...

You can only run Win7 on smaller machines, because the installation routine is better than that of Vista and it choses lighter settings on slow PCs.

Your PC barely meets the minimum requirements of Win7.

• 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
  • 1 GB of RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB of system memory (64-bit)
  • 16 GB of available disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB of avaiable disk space (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

Recommended is 2 GB RAM + and Intel-VT or AMD-V- capable CPU.

• Like 1

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

it's been so long

My last version of windows (a long story) is Win-XP upgrade. I actually upgraded from WinME.:D It was a gaming 32bit system running a P4-2.8c, and a 6800 Ultra. Now I own an i7-920 (just the processor so far). I'm thinking, and someone critique me here, of going with Win7HP-64 bit. But I wonder if I'd be well served to buy an OEM version if I'm only going to game with the system? I know the HP version is limited to 16gb of system ram. I figure it will be a while before I actually need more ram than that. Also I'm looking at the ASRock X58 Extreme as a mobo, and it has the capacity to handle 24gtb of system ram were I ever to need it (but that means upgrading to some other Win7 version) which is OK by me. The OEM would save me a few bucks, but I'd be somewhat hindered in not being able to use it on more than one system (not a problem at the moment).

Advice? SPare change?

Flyby out

For those of you that did make the move to Windows 7 from Vista, did you get the upgrade version of Windows 7, or get the 'full' version?

I'm thinking about making the move, but from what I've been reading, using the upgrade version can cause problems compared to a clean install. Not sure how true this is, or just an MS "pay more $$$" ploy.

For those of you that did make the move to Windows 7 from Vista, did you get the upgrade version of Windows 7, or get the 'full' version?

I'm thinking about making the move, but from what I've been reading, using the upgrade version can cause problems compared to a clean install. Not sure how true this is, or just an MS "pay more $$$" ploy.

That depends on a lot of variables.

In Europe, you are not allowed to upgrade Vista to Win7 without buying the full version of Win7.

If you have Vista Ultimate, you cannot apply a simple upgrade at all (at least not officially).

The funny thing is, as posted above, Win7 and Vista is basically the same, so it's just about making profit. The most ridiculous part is winmail and other options from Vista:

You can't access them in Win7 any longer, but they are still installed on your Win7 installation! :doh: To use them, you are forced to register on Windows live.

If you replace some dlls with the original Vista-Files - voila, you can use them again.

One more argument why Win7 is just Vista with better marketing :music_whistling:

@ 99th_Flyby:

If you really need more than 16 GB of RAM, your first big obstacle will be to find memory sticks that give you such an ammount of RAM ;) - Theoretically you can plug like 6x4GB sticks in your tripple-channel board, but that would not only slow the board down dramatically, but it would also put a big fat hole in your pocket - Pure WOM (Waste Of Money).

Besides that, the only disadvantage the OEM version has is 2 calls. With the full version you have 2 free calls on Microsofts Support-Service, before you get charged for it. OEM-Users get charged right away.

:yay:

In Europe, you are not allowed to upgrade Vista to Win7 without buying the full version of Win7.

What the hell? I've seen upgrades on sale in Finnish stores with a lot cheaper price than the full version.

I'm very confused with this OEM thing. As I understood it, it's a version that is pre-installed on new PCs. But now you guys ruined my miserable assumptions. :D

I want to buy a 64 bit Win7 Home Premium, so could somebody explain the difference with OEM and tell me what to buy? The info is hard to find for some reason.

That depends on a lot of variables.

If you have Vista Ultimate, you cannot apply a simple upgrade at all (at least not officially).

The funny thing is, as posted above, Win7 and Vista is basically the same, so it's just about making profit. The most ridiculous part is winmail and other options from Vista:

You can't access them in Win7 any longer, but they are still installed on your Win7 installation! :doh: To use them, you are forced to register on Windows live.

If you replace some dlls with the original Vista-Files - voila, you can use them again.

One more argument why Win7 is just Vista with better marketing :music_whistling:

@ 99th_Flyby:

If you really need more than 16 GB of RAM, your first big obstacle will be to find memory sticks that give you such an ammount of RAM ;) - Theoretically you can plug like 6x4GB sticks in your tripple-channel board, but that would not only slow the board down dramatically, but it would also put a big fat hole in your pocket - Pure WOM (Waste Of Money).

Besides that, the only disadvantage the OEM version has is 2 calls. With the full version you have 2 free calls on Microsofts Support-Service, before you get charged for it. OEM-Users get charged right away.

:yay:

I don't think I'll have any need for more than 6gb of ram, actually, unless some super sim study calls for it. ;) Also, isn't the OEM version limited to installation on one PC? I had the impression that if I were to build a new system on a different architecture I could not transfer the OEM win7 to that system (unless maybe some fee was paid to M$- not sure about that). If that's wrong, well cool! 8)

Flyby out

Any version is limited to one installation unless you buy a bundle.

The difference is, that OEM-Versions were designed to be sold preinstalled on a PC or at least on a disk with a new PC for the enduser to install. If you do, the OEM-Version is limited to this PC if you really take it literally.

AFAIK in the EU, but for sure at least in Germany, this plan didn't work and you have the freedom to choose between the OEM and Full version anytime and IIRC you even can demand the full version if you ony have the rescue-disk with your preinstalled PC.

If you can get the OEM-Version in your country, I'd buy it and make a fresh install. I wouldn't upgrade, as this new installation is always a chance to get rid of unnecessary files and registry entries ;)

In the end, the only thing M$ is interested in, is to make sure you don't run the same OS-license on two PCs in parallel.

Best way is to simply ask your local reseller.

Edited by Feuerfalke

The Win7 disc comes with both 32 and 64 bit. So you have a choice when you install windows.

I'll buy a new Hard Drive [one of those spanking new SSDs] and install Windowz7 on that when I get it..

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

The Win7 disc comes with both 32 and 64 bit. So you have a choice when you install windows.

Be adviced that this is not the case for every Win7 disk and version!

Besides that, the complete version with Win7 32bit and 64bit is more expensive than the exclusive version!

• Like 1

Be adviced that this is not the case for every Win7 disk and version!

Besides that, the complete version with Win7 32bit and 64bit is more expensive than the exclusive version!

I think if you buy the OEM version you either buy the 32 bit or 64 bit version. If you buy the 'retail' version, you essentially get both versions, but you may have to request the CD for the 'other' version from Microsoft.

That's how I did it with Vista anyways. I originally bought the 32 bit version and ordered the 64 bit version from the MS website and paid for the postage.

IIRC they put both version on DVD in this package. Maybe they have learned from the additional workload with Vista ;)

My laptop is working great with Windows 7 64bit. Way faster then with Vista. DCS works on it very good too!

FSX is more smooth, significant change over Vista.

Web downloaded LOCKON:FC isn't working anymore though -even after I updated driver from StarForce site - activation went O.K - but LOCKON.exe crashes (in compatibility mode too).

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

My laptop is working great with Windows 7 64bit. Way faster then with Vista. DCS works on it very good too!

FSX is more smooth, significant change over Vista.

Web downloaded LOCKON:FC isn't working anymore though -even after I updated driver from StarForce site - activation went O.K - but LOCKON.exe crashes (in compatibility mode too).

Should not run in any compatibility mode under Win7 for Lockon. Sounds like you have a screwed up install. Windows 7 is essentially just a rebrand of Vista with some small changes but even though I also like it much more then Vista.

Best of Luck with the install.

If you have any questions feel free to stop by the 104th TS as quite a few of us are running LcokOn/Black Shark under Win7 x64.

Out

I also conclude that it's rather a problem with your lockon installation or some drivers, not the system itself.

Most of Win7 is identical to Vista, which is why almost all Vista-Drivers also work with Win7.

I switched to Win7 because I wanted a more lightweight OS than the Ultimate-Version, but I got to admit that I miss several things from Vista, that I worked with over a year, now. I wonder if I can ever get used to the "show desktop" shortcut position on the far right corner, now... :doh:

great feedback, all

thanks for all the feedback, guys. there is some good info to absorb here. but I'm still conflicted about which version to get; the one that will offer the most benefit for a pure gaming system. I am sure I'll go 64bit. I never got to try Vista (been away from gaming for a while now). I understand it's really not so bad. So is Win7 a definite improvement over Vista? Or was Vista just disemboweled due to a bad debut which caught most without Vista-approved drivers?

Flyby out

If you want an OS primarily for playing and your own single PC, I can recommend the Win7 HP. Some things respond faster than Vista and it has some minor improvements over Vista.

If you really just want a multicore-DX11-OS you could also try to get your hands on Vista HP and upgrade to DX11. A cheap alternative :D

My only advice is: Don't waste the money for the Ultimate-Version, when you are not sure that you really need the things they offer.

Here's a nice list of the different versions and their features:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_versions

once again into the breech!

Thanks for the advice. Does Win7-HP use fewer resources than it's Vista equivalent? I'll check pricing too. How important is the WinXP-mode feature for flight sims that are now several years old?

Flyby out

Edited by Flyby

Thanks for the advice. Does Win7-HP use fewer resources than it's Vista equivalent? I'll check pricing too. How important is the WinXP-mode feature for flight sims that are now several years old?

Flyby out

As a general hint: At SimHQ there's an article how to run Janes Longbow2 under Win7. Don't know how much further back you plan to go :D

There are a few games that don't run with Win7/Vista, but if you fear your favourite game is not compatible, just search google.

There is basically no difference in resources needed. Though some people claim that Win7 uses MUCH less resources than Vista, I got to say that's not what the majority of tests with the final versions say and it's also against my personal experience. The difference is about 50MB in RAM usage, but as this is within tolerances, I'd say there is no difference in reality.

In terms of HDD-space Win7 uses a little more space than the Vista equivalent in reality. Now this is really funny, as some articles compared different values and concluded that Win7 is MUCH smaller. Their mistake: With Vista M$ recommended e.g. to install Ultimate on a partition/HDD with at least 40GB space. For Win7 they stated the installation size is 12-17GB overall. My installation was 17GB for Win7 as compared to 15GB for Vista. What surprised me, was that this was comparing Ultimate Vista vs HP Win7, but as posted above, most of the stuff from Vista is still in there, but hidden and blocked from usage.

You can however tune both down largely. With 6GB you can decrease paging-file-size and if you don't need hybernation, you can shrink both installations to 5-9GB overall.

Edited by Feuerfalke

you are on it today, FF! ;) So I think I'll go with Win7-HP. I'm hoping this more modern version will be stable. I'll seach the usual forums for helpful hints on any oldr sim i may want to give a go at, like Screamin Demons, or EAW.

thanks to you and all the others for your replies and advice.

Flyby out