Afghanistan WIP

Batou

release tools to the community

Hi all,

just tumbled over that threat.

I am an enthusiastic simmer and I can claim to have nearly every flight sim out there available. Recently I have played FSX and two years ago, I was keen to get to know how to achieve importing a 3D model into FSX. A few researches and I found lots of FREE tools to accomplish that. I am a former 3D animator and my 3D skills are professional. I missed my hometown airport in FSX which is EDJA. So I just started modeling the main building from EDJA. I posted that to the community and I was so surprised how the community reacted so positivly to that single building. And then the story starts. Peaople demanding more buildings. The end of the story is that I got a special permit to take pictures from each single building. The result can be seen here http://www.edja.universe-3d.com.

I do not want to make advertisment for my scenery, further I want to emphasize that free tools for modding and make it easy for everyone to access will keep a simulation alive. So many skilled people out there who provide new liveries, new models and so on. A game only exist because the community uses it. If there is no community, than there is no product.

So I want to call out that giving out modding tools for free won't hurt the product evenmore will keep it alive. 3rd Party developers, who run a business will always make money coz of their profession and the time they have to invest in a product. It took me almost one year to develop that airport for FSX but until today I got over 4000 download hits. It is for free and I am happy that so many ppl like it.

thats just my 2cents

Cheers

Demon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Founder of the -=VDS=-

:pilotfly:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Personally i think a new map needs releasing sooner rather than later, even if is for the current engine, we are gonna be waiting ages for the new engine anyway, why not give us something now, maybe not this map but any map.

DCS is and awesome sim, BUT the lack of maps really lets it down, im from an arma background and the maps plays a big part in keeping the sim alive.

on christmas eve someone put the current /unfinished navada terrain up for download, the next day it was gone, why ?? i managed to download it and tbh everything works fine with a-10 v1.1.1.1,

ED have made the community wait then wait some more, i know it takes a long time to get stuff done, im part of modding groups for arma, but why keep people waiting for a map, then make them wait some more for the same map ?

This is my 2cents

on christmas eve someone put the current /unfinished navada terrain up for download, the next day it was gone, why ?? i managed to download it and tbh everything works fine with a-10 v1.1.1.1

It was taken down because to originally get access to that beta terrain you had to PAY for the A-10C beta. Downloading and distributing it for free is called piracy. Doesn't anybody read the EULA they agree to when installing ED's software? Dumb question, I know. :)

why keep people waiting for a map, then make them wait some more for the same map ?

The EDGE version of Nevada is 100% different from the beta, built completely from scratch for the new engine. Nothing is the same except the name and location.

Edited by Blaze

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

and do you know how much negative REP i received when I posted inquiring about wether or not he had permission to post it.

You're not missing much, just a Runway, a few buildings, a bunch of grey boxes and some sand. thats it, it was far from a completed terrain.

Building Tiles with a height map is one thing,

Drawing out the roads for each section, the railroads, the rivers, the target areas is another,

then there's programming each beacon for each airfield or target / friendly area.

then there's programming weather, and making separate textures and environment settings for each season.

Then there's placing objects (bridges, trees, buildings, Delta Flyers, GoDDarnEvilComm Buildings, Bad Guys, Good Guys, Caf-Pow Factory, 7-11s, you name it.)

Making the tiles, and importing them and flying free cam over them, is prolly the easiest part of making a Terrain.

On Top of all that, you see an Aging Terrain Engine we are using in 1.1.1.1/DCSW1.x.x, that is showing signs of being a bottle neck with every shader, texture layer, effects layer they add to it to make it look better, it's not a flexible engine anymore, it was never designed to be a purrrty ground vehicle engine.

Now add in the fact that most 3rd party work usually pushes limits, to give the best results... yeah..

EDGE is supposed to be able to render Crazy amounts of detail more efficiently for Land, Air, Sea...

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team
How many of you have ever been n a real desert ?

Ive been in 3 ..... and its supreamly boring .

So , if youve ever been in one , I understand your opinion ..... If you havent ..... before you make commentry , realsie what your wishing for !!!

Vegas is as close to a desert as I have been... it wasnt too boring :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

@ Blaze, The navada terrain was put ion the forums in the early hours of christmas, i stumbled on it by chance, and never read any other comments, it was taken away without any explanation that i know of. but it was downloaded from here not a ppirate site, saying that tho now that i know the reason i wont be using it.

@ Skatezilla. i wasnt aware of the negative rep you recieved, thats bad when you were only asking a question, but i think it comes back to the point that the community is desperate for a new map. so jumped all over this when it was posted.

Also i wasnt asking for a rundown on map making, as i said in my post i do modding for arma, i know how much work is involved, and its painstaking :)

@ Badger 66. if you count afghan as a desert then yes i have been to one, althio ost of my time was spent in the green zone :).

But i feel that a desert map is what the majority of the community want.

Finally hads the afghan map been stoped until the new tools come out for edge ? probably in about 2 years at least. if so why ?

why do all that work then stop ? why not bring it our for the engine we have now ?

btw im not here for an argument or to get into a slanging match with anyone im just asking questions :)

• 2 weeks later...
and do you know how much negative REP i received when I posted inquiring about wether or not he had permission to post it.

You're not missing much, just a Runway, a few buildings, a bunch of grey boxes and some sand. thats it, it was far from a completed terrain.

Building Tiles with a height map is one thing,

Drawing out the roads for each section, the railroads, the rivers, the target areas is another,

then there's programming each beacon for each airfield or target / friendly area.

then there's programming weather, and making separate textures and environment settings for each season.

Then there's placing objects (bridges, trees, buildings, Delta Flyers, GoDDarnEvilComm Buildings, Bad Guys, Good Guys, Caf-Pow Factory, 7-11s, you name it.)

Making the tiles, and importing them and flying free cam over them, is prolly the easiest part of making a Terrain.

On Top of all that, you see an Aging Terrain Engine we are using in 1.1.1.1/DCSW1.x.x, that is showing signs of being a bottle neck with every shader, texture layer, effects layer they add to it to make it look better, it's not a flexible engine anymore, it was never designed to be a purrrty ground vehicle engine.

Now add in the fact that most 3rd party work usually pushes limits, to give the best results... yeah..

EDGE is supposed to be able to render Crazy amounts of detail more efficiently for Land, Air, Sea...

^ This

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus G72GX | CPU: Core 2 Duo Overclocked @ 2.9Ghz | Memory 6GB DDR2 | Graphics Card: nVidia GTX 260m 1GB | OS: Windows 7 Home Premium | Monitor: Samsung 32" LCD

LOMAC 1.0 to FC 1.12 System RIP (2003-2010) | AMD Athlon 64 3000+ overclocked to 2565MHz | NVidia Geforce 7800 GS AGP 256 MB | 1GB Kingston PC2700 DDR DRAM | Windows 2000 with SP4

PS... terrain created for the old engine does not work with World or future titles anyway.

Are you sure? I just recently moved the Nevada folder from Beta2 into my DCS World folder and yeah, apart from some "standard Building"-Links for preload in the .lua-Files that where broken, everything worked.

And that was the old-engine first try, from the Beta before ED decided to have it redone in EDGE.

I'm quite sure if Batou would finish and release his "old" Afghanistan map, it will work in DCS. Just the look will be like the Caucasus Map and it will utilize only one core? :huh:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The A-10C beta and DCS World are the same engine Shagrat, A-10C stand-alone was the first to introduce the engine, so naturally old Nevada will work in stock World.

The A-10C beta and DCS World are the same engine Shagrat, A-10C stand-alone was the first to introduce the engine, so naturally old Nevada will work in stock World.

yeah, I know, that's exactly why I wanted to know, why aaron886 thinks batou's Afghanistan map will not work in DCS World. The current Caucasus/Georgia map uses the same engine and Afghanistan could be added as simple as the "old" Nevada map.

Since the EDGE SDK is perhaps years away, I would be totally happy with batou's Afghanistan map for the current engine. "Not compatible" is not the point. "Double effort"or "EDGE is the future" may be valid, but I would love the Afghanistan map for my Hog... in EDGE or the current engine for sure. :thumbup:

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

yeah, I know, that's exactly why I wanted to know, why aaron886 thinks batou's Afghanistan map will not work in DCS World. The current Caucasus/Georgia map uses the same engine

No, it doesn't. Completely different filetypes. Why insist that I'm wrong? :huh:

The Afghanistan map was built for FC2, which is a different engine than A-10C standalone and DCS World which the beta Nevada terrain was built for.

Ok, maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought the Engine itself is the same. With DCS A-10C and World new effects were introduced to the "old" engine, so the Models used .EDM (I guess it was to include transparency or specular mapping? Don't know).

The map aka textures, mesh, road grid, town overlays, was not changed, as far as I know? :dunno:

My assumption was: It would be possible to get the Afghanistan map running, with just switching the building and tree models from the old format to .EDM

Ok, perhaps that was foolish :(

@ Aaron886 - I meant no offense. Only I thought it is possible to integrate it (just the map) with some minor tweaks...

Shagrat

• 5 months later...

Batou, did you get the tools ? Did you need help ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I5 3570K OC@4.2Ghz - Asus P8Z77-v - Gainward Nvidia GTX770 2go - G.Skill 8Go RAM DDR3 - Hotas Cougar + Warthog - TrackIR 5

• 11 months later...
no

already done

probably it's waiting for the released edge only

Where does author say it's finished? and why would he be waiting for edge if it was developed using older tools for the current engine?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

using older tools for the current engine?

^ exactly

but i guess he is already updated his work, however the original author Batou maybe give up his project (because of avia) or maybe helped to avia make a new and more detailed afghanistan map for dcsw, but the afghan scenery is already exists

Mi-17 Simulator http://www.russiaair.net/video-videocategory1

129_village-correct.jpg128_Shadows.JPG122_Mountains.JPG

127_PowerLines.JPG130_Winter.JPG98_Bagram.JPG

sign-pic4.jpg

This might be bad news! If they contracted that map exclusively for a military or professional simulator, we may never see it in DCS, depending on usage terms in the contract... let's hope they are allowed to adapt it for DCS.

I'll pay gladly for that map!!! :thumbup:

Shagrat