Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

You can put both MFDs on one monitor, I have both on one 19" monitor. Use MadTommy's Multi monitor set-up guide, its in the open beta forum. Look in the Multi-Monitor and Other Displays forum. It took a little tweaking since my screens are two different sizes and I have them on top of each other. It makes flying a lot easier.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! Looks a lot like my setup though I only have one monitor, using it for my right MFD for now.

Also, you know you can turn down the brightness of the MFD buttons manually by holding down the two bottom leftmost buttons at the same time, while hitting the BRT button?

I'm trying to get my daughter to get me another 8" 4:3 monitor for Christmas :-)

I turned the brightness of the LEDs up for dramatic purposes. I run with them at the lowest setting.

Best of luck with that Christmas wish. You gotta have two in order to balance the Fung Shwei (sp?), right? :)

Edited by El_Roto

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

257th Fighting Falcons/First VFW-25th Virtual Fighter Squadron

Specs: Win7 HP 64 bit, i7-960 @ 3.2GHz, 12GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz, Intel-based Alienware mobo, 256GB Samsung SSD, WD 1.0TB HD, Samsung LCD monitor @ 1920x1200, TM Warthog, SIMPED vario F-16 rudders w/brakes, R.A.T. 7 mouse, 2xMimo 7" LCDs, 2xTM Cougar MFDs, and TrackIR4 w/Pro Clip. Wife who tolerates it. Cat who thinks she can interrupt at ANY time. :doh:

• 1 month later...

Alright - time to bring this topic back up.

After coming back to a single monitor setup (in contrast to the 2-monitor setup I used for FC2) I want to go Cougar MFD on 2 7" or 8" LCD screens. Now after going to this thread I got a little confused and have following questions:

- Can 2 USB monitors used at once? I am especially aiming at the Samsung ones. (I've read contradictory posts here)

- Is there a performance issue with USB monitors? I remember reading something like that in a gaming article. (in addition to the 'normal' performance hit when using a multi-monitor setup)

- When using DCS A10Cs built in MFCD setup can I use Fullscreen mode? I thought that the BS MFCD export didn't require to use windowed mode - although I do not own BS.

Alright - that's about it. Need these questions answered before I spend even more money on this fabulous sim - thanks ED... :D

I ordered a set of MFD's from provantage about a month ago and still they are on backorder. :(

I want to go the small Lcd route as well.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Alright - time to bring this topic back up.

....have following questions:

- Can 2 USB monitors used at once? I am especially aiming at the Samsung ones. (I've read contradictory posts here)

- Is there a performance issue with USB monitors? I remember reading something like that in a gaming article. (in addition to the 'normal' performance hit when using a multi-monitor setup)

- When using DCS A10Cs built in MFCD setup can I use Fullscreen mode? I thought that the BS MFCD export didn't require to use windowed mode - although I do not own BS.

Alright - that's about it. Need these questions answered before I spend even more money on this fabulous sim - thanks ED... :D

here's my experience.....

1.First off , yes you can run multipule screens with displaylink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnycEPymZF8

i ordered two samsung u70 7" screens. They work off of DirectLink drivers to operate thru USB. First off I couldnt get both screens up at the same time and sometimes it would crash my system. Well , I uodated the drivers from DirectLink's Website. They worked..kinda. The software was reconizing two duplicate displays. No matter how I plugged the usb it would still show a duplicate screen So I couldnt send a third image to the last display. It was also screwing around with my main display,Matrox TH2GO.

I just figured its, either its the TH2GO or the fact Im running Vista 64bit or a 2x 260 GTX Sli. I remembered I a had an old vga lcd monitor, so I hooked it up to one of my 260's and tweaked the .lua file and presto!

2. So with duo core 2, 8gig ram and 2x 260 GTX running Sli I was pushing a TH2GO setup (three 1680 x 1050 screens) and an old vga @ 800x 600. It ran pretty slow...yeah I know, I need to upgrade.:( But it did work. I slapped on the mfds with duct tape on the vga monitor and got a feel of great imersion having the mfds at my figertips.

3. The game would crash if I ran it in fullscreen mode

oohh...one other thing , I had to disable the sli when I was messing with the 7" screens. I think theres a conflict with sli and displaylink, just a guess.

Ill prob try this again after I upgrade my pc......

Edited by jesusmataman1776

Alright - made up my mind. Looks like the Samsung software won't work under 64-bit - so it's a no go for me. USB seems too much of a hassel here. Going VGA.

Went to ebay and found following screen: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160415097718&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT Looks like it's prefect - 8" @ 4:3 ratio! I am a bit worried about the resolution though. Is 640x480 enough for the MFCDs? Anyone has experience with those displays?

Another question crossed my mind. I've been reading that you have to have the main screen on Display Port when you use a Display Port / DVI mix. Anyone has experience with that? I plan to have my main screen on DVI and both 8" screen MFCDs on Display Port with a Display Port / VGA adapter.

I can answer 2 of your questions... 640x480 is alright I think as I have tried running my 8" screen at that resolution even though they are 800x600 native and MFD images still look good.

I can't say if you HAVE to use main monitor on DisplayPort but coincidentally that is how I have my setup... main monitor through DisplayPort > DVI adapter and 2x 8" through DVI > VGA adapter... I think it's better to use DVI > VGA adapter as they come with any video card you buy and buy only DisplayPort > DVI adapter instead of having to buy 2x Displayport > VGA adapters, also mind you you will need active Displayport > VGA (or DVI) adapter

No longer active in DCS...

Thanks for the reply Kuky. As far as I read up on the matter it seems that there is only one kind of Displayport Adapter for VGA which draws power for the Displayport source as opposed to the active/passive DVI adapters. The reasoning for my proposed setup is that I don't need any adapter for the main display (= better picture quality on main, no high cost for active DP-DVI adapter) and that I have connected both MFCDs the same way plus the DP-VGA adapters are quite cheap. Also current DP-DVI adapters (that cost up to 100USD) only support resolutions up to 1080p and I like to 30" main display some time which sports a much higher resolution...

Will test out a secondary DP-VGA adapter with my old Hami 8" touchscreen before I go ahead an buy 2 new monitors plus adapters...

I can answer 2 of your questions... 640x480 is alright I think as I have tried running my 8" screen at that resolution even though they are 800x600 native and MFD images still look good.

I can't say if you HAVE to use main monitor on DisplayPort but coincidentally that is how I have my setup... main monitor through DisplayPort > DVI adapter and 2x 8" through DVI > VGA adapter... I think it's better to use DVI > VGA adapter as they come with any video card you buy and buy only DisplayPort > DVI adapter instead of having to buy 2x Displayport > VGA adapters, also mind you you will need active Displayport > VGA (or DVI) adapter

sorry for noobquestion

what you mean with "displayport" ?? where you plugin the both 8" Monitors??

In your graphiccard ?? There are only 2 Plugins 1 for the meanmonitor and one for anotherone

And if you plugin with USB the 8" Monitors that dont work??

hope you can help im new with this Cockpit things , but want also build a little MFD Cockpit

• 2 weeks later...
Here's what I made from Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack and 2x 8" monitors... now waiting for a flight sim where I can use them

MFD8.JPG

Hey Kuky,

would you share a bit of Information about the frame and rack you made there? How did you mounted the 8" Displays behind it and what did you do to mount it on the table?

Im trying to get my Setup like yours :pilotfly::D

My embedded 8" screens

Pictures of my first panel with two 8" screens built in. I hope it is of use to at least someone as a source of inspiration.

-WH_cockpit%20102s.jpg

-WH_cockpit%20112s.jpg

And one with the lights on:

-WH_cockpit078s.jpg

These are the same B-billion displays Kuky has got. Thank you for inspiration and information.

Edited by LeLv30_Superbus

Very inspirational! Could you please post any details on the part's used, and creation of your fantastic switch panel?

@ ^ Thank you. A picture speaks etc: http://www.lelv30.net/kuvat.phtml?alku=2733&lkm=20

I haven't made a real parts list yet, but I may do so. I'll probably finish the floor-mounted panel first, though. The 8" displays were YN8088AV if my memory serves me. Just scroll back this thread, Kuky posted the exact type and these are the same. A factory in Hong Kong makes them. Switches are TSR-01 (2 positions), APEM 637H and 639H (3-positions, very good) and a cheap 3-position switch from Opencockpits (not recommended). Connection to pc through BU0836X. The next panel will be through a SIOC master card. With outputs :smilewink:. I'll light up the Master Caution push-button with that too, somehow. It's got a yellow 3 mm LED inside.

Please note that the video card in picture # 2705 only outputs ONE (1) VGA-signal. Not two like I expected, because the model it replaced, did output two (through the DVI-connector). Only the upper DVI has VGA in this new model. I had to buy a HD5450 (which set me back 60 euros :cry:) and install it as a second video card just to run the second 8" screen.

Edited by LeLv30_Superbus
added parts

That panel is awesome! Firstly, are the switches on that panel functional?

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

That panel is awesome! Firstly, are the switches on that panel functional?

Thanks. Yes they are. I'm making a short demo video.

There isn't a switch under the red switch guard yet, because I haven't decided what it should be used for, but the last input on the BU0836X-card is reserved for that and a hole has been drilled. I'll probably make it either a STORES JETTISON or EJECT. I may have overlooked something so I'll keep one input in reserve until I've learnt to fly the A-10C and I know more.

You comanded the panel as is, or did you "custom" something ?

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Succellus, I'm not sure I read you correctly, but if you asked whether I modified (customized?) an existing panel OR built a new one from scratch, the answer is: I built it from scratch. I bought 12 mm plywood, painted it, drilled 10-12 mm holes in it etc etc. There are a couple of pictures of its insides behind the link I posted. I hope I answered your question.

Ho! I misread you, i thought you had bought it as is (or nearly).

My question was: The company (which i know is inexistent now) did sell the panel "as is", or if they sold panels and you could ask for customizations.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

LeLv30 my hat is off to you! I thank you for the link and the great pictures.

I wonder if this level of electronic and woodworking creation is within the ability of a novice in both fields?

I would probably have to build 4 until I got 1 to work!

I noticed that you have 2 different set's of MFD's there. One picture in the link shows both MFD's with a circular knob in the bottom left corner. Then later in the set, the Cougar MFD's are in the build. What was the make of the MFD's with the circular knob?

• Like 1

Hey Kuky,

would you share a bit of Information about the frame and rack you made there? How did you mounted the 8" Displays behind it and what did you do to mount it on the table?

Im trying to get my Setup like yours :pilotfly::D

It's held by 2 screws throught the frame holding the middle 7" (notice that touchscreen is made for car seat so it came with frame to mount it into the seat headrest) then I also placed 2 L-shaped brackets that are screwed into the wood and main monitor simply placed on top of the brackets and its weight (and 2 screws) is enough to hold the MDF cutout.

No longer active in DCS...

I wonder if this level of electronic and woodworking creation is within the ability of a novice in both fields?

I am a novice myself. I bought the woodcrafting tools (browse the images in the gallery to see them) for this project. I've never used a reciprocal saw before in my life, for example. I have soldered a little, but with the crimp connectors I have, only the 3 miniature switches for the (HUD day/night and norm/stby) had to be soldered.

I noticed that you have 2 different set's of MFD's there.
No, that's not the case. They are the same MFD frames. I just added a knob and a shaft. The shaft isn't connected to anything yet, though. First I thought it's going to be a decoration only, but when I installed them, I realised it is possible to use a shaft long enough for it to be connected to something behind the TFT panel. However, I would have to mount the panel a little higher which I did not plan for. I may not bother with it, but we'll see. The BU0836X card has got 8 analog inputs which are unused for now, so the electronics for 2 (or 8) knobs are already there.

It's held by 2 screws throught the frame holding the middle 7" (notice that touchscreen is made for car seat so it came with frame to mount it into the seat headrest) then I also placed 2 L-shaped brackets that are screwed into the wood and main monitor simply placed on top of the brackets and its weight (and 2 screws) is enough to hold the MDF cutout.

Thank you, that explains that I have trouble :D

Cause I made it really more difficult, but what can i say Iam a big noob in working with wood :doh:

LeLv30 Superbus - That's a great looking panel!

Could I ask the part details for the small plastic caps on the Master Arm & Laser Arm switches? I'm building similar panels myself, and those caps look perfect to give it a little something extra. Thanks!