Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Kuky,

I've been watching your build on some thread somewhere but can't find it now.

I think you used Century 8" VGA's, is that right?

Do they each need there own power?

Which video card did you end up driving the displays with?

I build computers all the time but I'm trying to figure out how you have multiple video cards (not SLIed) in windows without having issues of telling which card to do what. Is there any magic to that?

Is there a performance hit (FPS loss) with your setup?

Thanks for the help!

Asus Rampage II

i7 920 @ 3.8

EVGA580GTX

6G Corsair

WinVista64

Hog

what are the monitor used? Samsung 8"" ?

Thanks.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=814541&postcount=18

@Nightcargo: Each monitor does have its own power (comes with it) and video card is ATI HD4670 (video card has 1x DVI 1x VGA port, monitors have VGA connector so you use 1x DVI-VGA adapter), and yes, there is a performance hit.

@pitbldr: yes it is possible but this is still WIP by ED and will be changed, but so far it can still be done (as you can see in few posts in here).

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

Any chance of you posting your config file for the multi monitor set up, it looks fairly similar to what I'm wanting to do with a 19" LCD in place of the 2x 8"?

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Any chance of you posting your config file for the multi monitor set up, it looks fairly similar to what I'm wanting to do with a 19" LCD in place of the 2x 8"?

I've updated previous post with description on how to set this up

Edited by Kuky

Kucky, Awesome config, congrats dude i envy you on the good sense.

Just to have a notion, what is the main Monitor / tv ? And what size.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

@nightcargo: I've read that some USB monitors require software to be recognised as PC monitor and that you could only use 1 like that (2 of them would not work). Ideally a 4:3 ratio 7" would fit best but I could not find any so considering all this 8" 4:3 monitor was best option for me. Having monitors with VGA connector also makes them easy to connect to PC... all I needed was lower cost video card.

@Succellus: main monitor is Samsung 24" PC monitor (not TV)

Edited by Kuky
my bad... monitor is 24" not 27" :D

@nightcargo: I've read that some USB monitors require software to be recognised as PC monitor and that you could only use 1 like that (2 of them would not work). Ideally a 4:3 ratio 7" would fit best but I could not find any so considering all this 8" 4:3 monitor was best option for me. Having monitors with VGA connector also makes them easy to connect to PC... all I needed was lower cost video card.

@Succellus: main monitor is Samsung 27" PC monitor (not TV)

Nice a pity we don t have them here yet, i would gladly buy one. Whats the response time ? 2ms ?

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

I think my one has 5ms response time

And you do not have "ghosting" problem when turning fast or the monitor have to drawn a lot of stuff at the same time ?

Usually 2ms is what it get for extreme environment, i know fps demand more than sim on this. Since i have a 22" 2ms monitor its why i m asking.

I would bet anything you have for the desktop will be magnitudes faster than real life. So for realism 5ms is probably too fast already.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

And you do not have "ghosting" problem when turning fast or the monitor have to drawn a lot of stuff at the same time ?

Not really noticeable for me now... when I bought my first LCD (was a 17") I could tell straight away... but then I got a 19", then a 22" and now a 24"... with time their response time has reduced and my eyes/mind got used to it also so now I don't notice it any more at all. The only time I notice it is if I am visually trying to locate a target on the ground and I am zoomed in... then you can notice it... otherwise not.

• Like 1

If I were to get my old 15" 4:3 TFT LCD out of the cupboard would I be able to setup the right and left MFCD pages to be shown side by side on the 15" display and then stick my Cougar MFD's to the 15" display?

If this would work what kind of performance hit would I get, would this put my CPU under more pressure?

E8400@3.0GHz

4Gb RAM

EVGA GTX 470 OC edition

Win7 64bit

If I were to get my old 15" 4:3 TFT LCD out of the cupboard would I be able to setup the right and left MFCD pages to be shown side by side on the 15" display and then stick my Cougar MFD's to the 15" display?

If this would work what kind of performance hit would I get, would this put my CPU under more pressure?

E8400@3.0GHz

4Gb RAM

EVGA GTX 470 OC edition

Win7 64bit

Yes you could do that... about performance hit you'd get, you'd have to set it up and try it to see as I dont know how much it would affect your system.

Questions about your MFD setup

Kuky,

Very, very nice setup you have there for the MFD's!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I do have a few questions. How much of a performance hit do you take with this setup? I guess it would help to also know your system specs to give us some idea how our own system measures up. I'm using Win7 64bit. i7 920 oc'ed, ATI 5870 (I have another ATI card here somewhere to use for the MFD monitors if I can find it!).

Do the MFD's have to be shown in the main monitor to be seen in the small MFD monitors? I guess what I am asking is if you use Track IR and look outside the cockpit will the MFD info go away until your view includes the MFD"s on the main monitor?

I assume that this setup will not work for Falcon 4 as they (Virtual Thunderbirds) are using USB monitors with some third party software and some sort of hack to Falcon to get the job done.

Waiting for the Warthog! :joystick: ........:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 Pro 64 | Asus Rampage III Extreme |Swiftech H2O cooled: CPU, Video, N. Bridge | i7 980X EE @4.5GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @1726 MHZ | AMD R9 290X 4GB DDR5 +EK H2O block+Backplate | BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 @144Hz | Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | 2 - Samsung HD 1TB | Pinoeer BD-RW | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Audio | CoolerMaster Haf-X case | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 760W PS | HOTAS Cougar w/Evenstrain Mod | HOTAS Warthog | TM RCS Rudders + Mods | TM MFD's w/monitors | TrackIR5

I'll see if I can record a track then record framerate with FRAPS with single monitor and multimonitor, without it I would just be guessing and can give false impression to others.

The MFD's do not need to be shown on main monitor... you can look aruond with TrackIR and even in externals and the MFD's images will still show properly.

I'll see if I can record a track then record framerate with FRAPS with single monitor and multimonitor, without it I would just be guessing and can give false impression to others.

The MFD's do not need to be shown on main monitor... you can look aruond with TrackIR and even in externals and the MFD's images will still show properly.

Thanks Kuky, that would be great. I was hoping the MFD info would be there no matter what the main monitor was showing, just asked to be sure it was so. I have been bit before with a "gotcha" because I didn't ask enough questions.

What do you plan to use the middle monitor for?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 Pro 64 | Asus Rampage III Extreme |Swiftech H2O cooled: CPU, Video, N. Bridge | i7 980X EE @4.5GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @1726 MHZ | AMD R9 290X 4GB DDR5 +EK H2O block+Backplate | BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 @144Hz | Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | 2 - Samsung HD 1TB | Pinoeer BD-RW | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Audio | CoolerMaster Haf-X case | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 760W PS | HOTAS Cougar w/Evenstrain Mod | HOTAS Warthog | TM RCS Rudders + Mods | TM MFD's w/monitors | TrackIR5