Activations in the future

Sven_richmond

Perhaps it's been asked several times before...

I've bought Black Shark. It is great and I'm enjoying a lot. This sim's worth every euro I paid for it.

But I'd like to know what will happen to us, Black Shark buyers, if you stop supporting this game. What if I wanna play this game in 7 seven years... what will it happen to our activations?

I think all this activation stuff is ok for a while so you get back all the money you invested and avoid piracy but you should guarantee us buyers the right to play this game in the future.

So I suggest that in some months or years you release a patch disabling this activation protection as Egosoft does with its products once the main body of sales's been made.

Would it be possible?

Edited by Sven_richmond
Style

The lack of a response to this post would seem to indicate that no, some day one will eventually be denied an opportunity to reactivate. One can back up their entire hard drive with software like Paragon's Drive Image while the game is working fine. I recover Windows 7 RTM fully activated, Windows XP SP3, the Black Shark game already activated and a host of other software and drivers in only 30 minutes. 26 gigs fit on 2 regular DVDs and all the configurations for flying are already set. One can save activations this way and still test hardware updates. If my machine won't boot one day I have 2 partitions so I can go into one and backup data then either replace the partition or recover the entire hard drive image in a fraction of the time it would take to reinstall Windows.

Edited by vortex360

Don't activations belong to Starforce? I heard they give you new ones, ED only did it by "friendly".

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

• ED Team
Don't activations belong to Starforce? I heard they give you new ones, ED only did it by "friendly".

So in the future after all used de/activations can I ask SF to get new activation serial directly?

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, GeForce RTX 2080Ti, 32 GB DRAM, HOTAS TM Warthog, FSSB R3 Lighting, MFG Crosswind, Win 10 Pro

Oh, now I see my mistake: I thought I had bought the sim but it was only for rental! (Trying to be ironic, of course. I'm not THAT stupid.)

Well, it's not really their fault, it's only mine since I accepted the license... but I was dying for flying a good new sim and this IS one of those.

I was weak.

I promise not to do it again. And that's no irony but plain truth.

Thanks for your answers, guys.

Edited by Sven_richmond
Clarification of unnoticed irony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!.

I've been waiting for some time just to see if any of the DCS guys was so kind to answer my question.

I'm seriously interested in knowing what will happen when Eagle Dynamics, DCS or anyone in charge stops supporting this game (which, obviously, won't be supported forever.)

Right now I am playing games I bought nine or ten years ago. I'd like to do the same with this one.

And I'd also like to know if the next sims are going to be protected that way.

I look forward to your answer.

IMO I'd expect SF to keep supporting and giving me new keys "forever" as long as the license is still "open for lease".

That said - ED has the right to close the license and stop leasing the "permission to play the game", for example if the go bankrupt.

The new owners of the license would then have to tell SF to shut it down / open it up again - and we'll all have to contact SF if the license is up for grabs again.

As for real life examples - think "Duke Nukem Forever" - now imagine this game was released (yeah I know, quite unlikely) ... and consider that the brawl over the ownership over the license then kicks off after the release.

The "true legal owner" of the license would be the one that decides if anyone is permitted to play it.

IMO it's quite clear .. ;)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Hi Parzertard!

I know how that works... but I hoped DCS perhaps would reconsider their protection system in the future. Wishful thinking.

Vortex360 summed everything up in few but true words: "...some day one will eventually be denied an opportunity to reactivate."

But I 'd like to play this game in the future, the same way I continue playing Apache/Havoc, Longbow 2, etc... even today.

Even without the permission of Our Lords of SF.