i5 testing at PC Gamer

Dude I am loving you posting about i5 etc

Am in the same position as I am running S939 :(

Looking at the intial prices CPU i7 860 = $390 AUD

i5 750 = $280

MOBO Asus P55 EVO = $330

Just waiting for the first round of mobo reviews to determine if I leave DFI and go Asus

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

I'm too dizzy to think clear

Dude I am loving you posting about i5 etc

Am in the same position as I am running S939 :(

Looking at the intial prices CPU i7 860 = $390 AUD

i5 750 = $280

MOBO Asus P55 EVO = $330

Just waiting for the first round of mobo reviews to determine if I leave DFI and go Asus

Hi Sam,

I just committed to an upgrade path. I've purchased an i7-920 from Micro Center for the paltry sum of $200.00 USD. That price is nearly $80.00 les than elsewhere on the web, and that's money I can divert to a better GPU ( I like the GTX285 with it''s 512mb bus, but the '275 is a good buy too, imo). I'm waiting for a confirm, since it's a local-must-pick-it-up-at-the-store purchase. The website listed the remaining quantity at 4 units last night when I ordered. It'll be just my luck that by the time I should receive my confirm email I'll get one saying they are all sold out!

But I'm glad you're getting some good info about the i5. Right now it looks as if the i5 series has tested very strong against the i7 when it comes to PC games. But I'm seeing the i7 as the longer, stronger performance upgrade path. I may be seeing that wrong. I wish Wags would weigh in here since he's so close to the future DCS gaming engine. Perhaps he could provide some divine insight as to which processor upgrade might serve DCS best/longest. I know it's hard to say, but there are people out there developing gaming engines right now (check this link out: http://www.devmaster.net/forums/index.php ), and they may be looking at the potential of the two processors. Here's another link that might be helpful for peering into the CPU future: http://www.cpu-world.com/index.html

Still, a question remains. Will gaming engines take advantage of the other performance features the i7 has over the i5? Or is it really just a matter of GHZ that will rule our complex flight sim gaming performance over the next few years? My gamble is that the i7 road path will be the longer-winded path over the i5. Now to just prove that opinion. We'll see. Wags? Where are ya buddy?

Flyby out

• Like 1

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

well, i'm now testing some i5 750s, i7 860s and i7 870s

depends on the result and price, i will choose i7 860

hmmm...very interesting. You must tell us more about your testing.

Flyby out

• 2 weeks later...

i5 looks lovely. I shouldn't be looking at reviews, they just make me want to upgrade, and I don't have the money.... Maybe if I pawned my TV....

Looks like a single core from i5 would be about as speedy as my current dualcore, and it has four of those frakking things. That would mean that I could double my fps in DCS:BS. And maybe try out OFP2 when it comes out. And ARMA2. And get hardware virtualization.... :drool:

I would love to see some sim benchmarks on the 750/860/920

testing BS,IL2,FSX,Lockon,GTR2,Dirt2

All those sims require more CPU than GPU power.

The test should include OC to see what possibilities they have.

Even overclocking the cpu, these (flight) sims only use one core. At least the newer generation of processors can be overclocked to at least 3.6 on air cooling, thus one core at 3.6 is fairly speedy. The sims seem to respond to that, but they are not coded to use multiple cores. Let someone test the i5s on ROF, which is coded to use multiple cores. For us flight simmers, that might be a more relevant test, imo.

Flyby out

Even overclocking the cpu, these (flight) sims only use one core. At least the newer generation of processors can be overclocked to at least 3.6 on air cooling, thus one core at 3.6 is fairly speedy. The sims seem to respond to that, but they are not coded to use multiple cores. Let someone test the i5s on ROF, which is coded to use multiple cores. For us flight simmers, that might be a more relevant test, imo.

Flyby out

Forgot to add RoF on the list.:thumbup:

Fully aware that these are not supported by multiple cores, but one i7-920 core at 4.0 has proven it more powerful than one C2D at 4.0. So it is still intresting to see what these "older" sims would gain with i5/i7 setup.

Forgot to add RoF on the list.:thumbup:

Fully aware that these are not supported by multiple cores, but one i7-920 core at 4.0 has proven it more powerful than one C2D at 4.0. So it is still intresting to see what these "older" sims would gain with i5/i7 setup.

rgrt, I'd like to see those results anyway. Can't know too much, eh? ;)

Flyby out

found this morning, an interesting testing of CPUs with FSX (among others)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-gaming,2403-10.html

Flyby out

Well... it's a really a GPU test... and the test they are doing sin not really showing anything but how well diffrent GPUs work with different CPUs.

And it seems like they did not know how to test FSX really.

Really got me hoping there :thumbup:

Edited by CoNa

yeah, it's mainly a GPU test (my bad for jumping the gun). interesting, beyond FSX about how the multiple GPUs scale. as I assemble my gaming rig, it's interesting to see how the different games scale with SLI vs Crossfire.

Flyby out

• 2 weeks later...