The T-50 (PAK-FA) Thread

nscode

I would appreciate that. I am tired of defending my viewpoints on that OT matter.

Does anybody know if that paint scheme is angled like that because for stealth purposes or is it normal camouflage?

I have been searching this thread but I can't find anything.

I know when an hourglass (Like Black widow.) symbol was painted on YF 23, the contractors was ordered to remove it because it could negatively influence RCS.

Just by cursory observation I can see that some of the outer edges of the paint scheme are more or less the same angle as some of the outer edges of the airframe. But that could be for aesthetics.

Edited by FanBoy2006.01

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theoretically, camouflage is a form of stealth. I doubt the shape of the paint on the YF-23 was the problem, probably more related to the paint itself. That's a guess, though.

All that I could recall was that the thought it would negatively influence RCS. So most likely it is like you said.

I was just surprised in the the way they painted T-50. If they are using radar absorbing paint it is not the (Strangely beautiful.) metallic colour of USA paint. That and they got different colours also!

Like you said camouflage is a form stealth. The only things I can think of then is that the big shapes are for camouflage at longer visual ranges or confuse opponent in regard to aspect/heading/attitude of aircraft.

At this stage, I doubt RCS reduction is a major concern in the PAK-FA program; if it is, they have bigger fish to fry than just the geometry of their paint scheme- like the currently mounted traditional engine nozzle feathers, which I would imagine have an RCS roughly the size of a barn door.

Is it also somewhat plausible that they will elect to forego the use of RAM? I'm not certain that Russia has much in the way of experience with this technology, nor does it seem to fit with their "rugged" strategy.

Well, this airframe is supposedly, "new stealth" like the F-35. So, even though RAM is still applied, it's much less of a factor for RCS than it is in the case of the B-2 for example. RAM is already applied in the VVS for the Su-35 for example. Especially in things like compressor blades and other high reflective areas.

Is it also somewhat plausible that they will elect to forego the use of RAM? I'm not certain that Russia has much in the way of experience with this technology, nor does it seem to fit with their "rugged" strategy.

Operationally on Tu-160? MiG-29 RAM testbed? MiG-29K/KUB sporting thicker paint around "suspicious" areas? Su-35? RAM is nothing new for them.

RAM is already applied in the VVS for the Su-35 for example. Especially in things like compressor blades and other high reflective areas.
To avoid confusion lets stick to Su-35S designation. As VVS never had (no, i am not counting the Knights ones as they never actually flew after being painted in those colors) Su-35's. As to the Su-35S i am not aware of it having compressor blades threated with RAM, do you have anything that could back it up? It definitely has other RCS lowering solutions.
Edited by NOLA

Operationally on Tu-160? MiG-29 RAM testbed? MiG-29K/KUB sporting thicker paint around "suspicious" areas? Su-35? RAM is nothing new for them.

To avoid confusion lets stick to Su-35S designation. As VVS never had (no, i am not counting the Knights ones as they never actually flew after being painted in those colors) Su-35's. As to the Su-35S i am not aware of it having compressor blades threated with RAM, do you have anything that could back it up? It definitely has other RCS lowering solutions.

Well, I have to recheck. I remember reading something like that. If you don't have any info, I could be wrong. I'll take a look and see what I come up with.

I don't have any shots of serial Su-35S' showing the blades so i can't of course rule it out, but i can't recall ever reading about it either in articles about Su-35S or interviews with Saturn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

RAM consists of mainly oxidised metals. The most advanced RAM on the F-22 is the indium tin oxide coating on the canopy. These types of RAM are widely available in the market. If your foolish enough to believe the Russians can't manufacture a coating that's as good if not even better than the US coatings then your sadly mistaken. In fact there are more efficient materials available that out perform even ITO.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

IfG0dr8cPRU

text of the speech in the video, the original and brought Google translation:

In Zhukovsky completed the first phase of testing of the Russian combat aircraft T-50Print version Code for blogIn Zhukovsky completed the first phase of testing of the Russian fifth generation fighter aircraft T-50.

In Zhukovsky completed the first phase of testing of the Russian fifth generation fighter aircraft T-50. In many respects, it has surpassed the expectations of designers and features like foreign cars. The unique capabilities of the T-50 showed reporters the First Channel.

Modern combat vehicles will never be the same. Now this is a fighter and attack aircraft and bombers, which can carry out any task. In the sky plane of the fifth generation. It means he's "invisible" (that is invisible to enemy radar), it means that the fastest (top speed of more than 2,500 kilometers per hour), then with artificial intelligence.

Even if something happens to the pilot during the task, the fighter can independently go back to the base and even to land. In this plane, in general, provide many pilots "on a silver platter." For example, an automatic target recognition.

Boarding fighter - like a living organism. It reacts to everything that is happening around, thanks to a special transceiver elements. They literally sewn into the body of a fighter. It is also called "smart paneling." She is able to detect up to fifty targets simultaneously and among them choose the most dangerous.

Before the advent of the T-50 the most advanced aircraft of the fifth generation was considered an American F-22 Raptor. But the Russian fighter today passes him on several parameters: it can reach speeds of 500 kilometers per hour more he easier, and can fly further. But the main thing, of course, is hidden inside.

Within a few years of secret tests of PAK FA (promising aviation complex tactical aircraft, so this is called a fighting machine) has completed more than 500 missions. Constructors sum up the first phase of testing and is safe to say, the normal flight.

"For a number of characteristics, we got better results than planned. For example, we received a very good performance at a supersonic cruise speed, super maneuverability on," - said the first deputy director of the Center Pintsi Michael Archer.

All this is largely due to the design: a small tail, the absence of angles between the surfaces. A weapon will place in the inner compartments: the so air resistance during maneuvers less, and find the plane for a special coating difficult.

"We got the opportunity to respond to any threat that may arise from our potential adversaries. In the world today are complexes of the fifth generation in the United States. Our complex is in no way would be to give in, and will be superior to their foreign counterparts," - said the president of JSC "United Aircraft Corporation "Mikhail Pogosyan.

В подмосковном Жуковском завершен первый этап испытаний российского боевого самолета Т-50

Версия для печати Код для вставки в блог

В подмосковном Жуковском завершен первый этап испытаний российского боевого самолета пятого поколения Т-50. По многим параметрам он превзошел ожидания конструкторов и характеристики подобных иностранных машин. Уникальные возможности Т-50 показали журналистам Первого канала.

Современные боевые машины уже никогда не будут прежними. Теперь это и истребитель, и штурмовик, и бомбардировщик, который может выполнять любую задачу. В небе самолет пятого поколения. Это значит, он "невидимка" (то есть незаметен для радаров противника), значит, самый быстрый (максимальная скорость больше 2,5 тысяч километров в час), значит, с искусственным интеллектом.

Даже если что-то случится с пилотом во время задания, истребитель может самостоятельно вернуться на базу и даже совершить посадку. В этом самолете, вообще, летчикам многое предоставляют "на блюдечке". Например, система автоматического распознавания цели.

Обшивка истребителя – словно живой организм. Она реагирует на все, что происходит вокруг, благодаря специальным приемопередающим элементам. Они буквально вшиты в тело истребителя. Ее еще называют "умная обшивка". Она сама способна определять до полусотни целей одновременно и среди них выбирать самые опасные.

До появления Т-50 самым совершенным самолетом пятого поколения считался американский F-22 Raptor. Но российский истребитель сегодня обходит его сразу по нескольким параметрам: он может развивать скорость на 500 километров в час больше, сам он легче, а лететь может дальше. Но главное, конечно, скрыто внутри.

За несколько лет секретных испытаний ПАК ФА (Перспективный авиационный комплекс фронтовой авиации, так еще называют эту боевую машину) совершил более 500 вылетов. Конструкторы подводят итоги первого этапа испытаний и с уверенностью говорят: полет нормальный.

"По ряду характеристик мы получили лучшие результаты, чем планировали. Например, мы получили очень хорошие характеристики по сверхзвуковой крейсерской скорости полета, по сверхманевренности" , - рассказал первый заместитель директора Центра ПИНЦ Михаил Стрелец.

Все это во многом благодаря конструкции: маленькое хвостовое оперение, отсутствие углов между поверхностями. А оружие разместят во внутренних отсеках: так сопротивление воздуха во время маневров меньше, а обнаружить самолет за счет специального покрытия сложнее.

"Мы приобрели возможность отвечать на любые угрозы, которые могут происходить от наших потенциальных противников. Сегодня в мире создаются комплексы пятого поколения в США. Наш комплекс ни в чем не будет уступать, а будет превосходить зарубежные аналоги", - заявил президент ОАО "Объединенная авиастроительная корпорация" Михаил Погосян.

Edited by AlexHunter

Открылась бездна звезд полна;

Звездам числа нет, бездне дна. (М. В. Ломоносов)

Sum up of the video:

- They claim more than 500 flights has been made. I firmly believe that is a big pile of malarky. Correct number is around 300.

- They claim that top speed is 500 km more than F-22, and say that T-50's top speed is 2500 km. I don't think i need to point out just how BS that is.

- It is also claimed that T-50 is lighter and has greater range than F-22, which sounds correct.

- T-50 exceeded expectations, in for example supercruise and super maneuverability.

do we see in the video 1.14 there is some canards element in the T50?)) or is this canard embedded in the wing and activates when needed.. )lol..

anyway, its true most of what they say, characteristics are great, no major problems, engines even this as they are provide super cruise flight, and 500 missions flown seems right as they made about 4 planes by now or is it 3..in duration of 5-6 years that would mean 20 flights per year for each on average .. extensive testing no big deal..

Interesting info from that video. If pilot lets go of stick, autopilot takes over. That autopilot able to bring aircraft back and land.

I just think it's wierd that nobody have come up with that until now. UAV's have been common around a decade now.

There is at least one F22 pilot that could have been alive today if the F22 could take over and land itself. Instead, he is dead...