What is a dedicated server?

This just might be the dumbest question I've ever asked on this forum. But even after having used the phrase myself (to sound really smart) I realize I don't really know what it means and how the lack of it might limit the game.

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

It's just a separate machine with BS on it that acts only as a host (no-one is playing on it). It's typically a machine with a good network connection that's on 24hrs. With BS it'll also need external software like ServMan to do the typical server management tasks - this is required as there isn't an actual dedicated server package for BS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Australian Air Force

So what it is about a dedicated server that "we" are hoping ED will eventually incorperate into DCS and that they have said will be a long wait?

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

That'll be a "real" dedicated server as opposed to just a copy of the game with no-one sitting at it.

Real ded's usually can be run in server farms as they have no graphical interface requiring a monitor attached - they also don't tend to have DRM. It's just a networking box. This makes it a lot cheaper to run a ded with good bandwidth. Pretty much all of the really popular multiplayer games have ded servers which are then hosted by large ISP's and gaming groups.

They also have a lot of management functions eg: mission rotating/voting, kicking & banning accounts (as opposed to names/IP addresses), voting on difficulty settings, limiting connections based upon ping, etc.. Acedy's done a great job with ServMan which provides some of the services typical of a ded server for BS, but there's a practical limit as to what can be done by third party LUA plugins.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Australian Air Force

Thanks. Now...I wonder why it is so difficult?

Gaming networks generally run there server racks under Linux operating systems as they are more stable and there is plenty of software to allow them to offer relativly secure remote administration by the community.

DCS doesnt run under Linux, something to do with WINE, what ever that is? or thats what ive read anyhow :huh:

DCS doesnt run under Linux, something to do with WINE, what ever that is? or thats what ive read anyhow :huh:

Wine is something like an emulator! So the background system is with linux - like most dedicatd servers are - which runs a simulated Windows - thats wine(!) - to let win-only programms run as they should.

Although I read a lot about it, and although BS is win compatible, I got very little idea to let this combination run at my server :helpsmilie:

Would be great to host a real deicated server using wine - but soory - Iґm to dump :music_whistling:

Greets

S@uDepp

// Hasi @4,5 GHz @ H100i // Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 // Avirex 4x4GB // PALIT 1070 GTX SuperJetStream // Corsair 350D // Plextor extern // DELL 2407WFP // Razer Lancehead // 2xThrustmaster T.16000M + Saitek Pedals Pro // Oculus Rift // 3x amBX // Win10 Pro x64

Gaming networks generally run there server racks under Linux operating systems as they are more stable and there is plenty of software to allow them to offer relativly secure remote administration by the community.

That's not really true.

Just as many if not more dedicated gaming servers run on windows. Almost all providers give you a choice of Windows or Linux.

Edited by MadTommy

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

This.

That'll be a "real" dedicated server as opposed to just a copy of the game with no-one sitting at it.

Real ded's usually can be run in server farms as they have no graphical interface requiring a monitor attached - they also don't tend to have DRM. It's just a networking box. This makes it a lot cheaper to run a ded with good bandwidth. Pretty much all of the really popular multiplayer games have ded servers which are then hosted by large ISP's and gaming groups.

They also have a lot of management functions eg: mission rotating/voting, kicking & banning accounts (as opposed to names/IP addresses), voting on difficulty settings, limiting connections based upon ping, etc.. Acedy's done a great job with ServMan which provides some of the services typical of a ded server for BS, but there's a practical limit as to what can be done by third party LUA plugins.