new video card

I am currently using an nVidia GeForce4 4200 Ti 8x AGP card an I am thinking of upgrading.

I am currently comparing the ATI 9600 Pro, ATI 9800 Pro and nVidia 6600 GT cards. All are 128 MB DDR cards.

The comparison between the ATI cards is straight forward (one being better, the other being cheper) But, for those techs out there, how does the nVidia card compare to the ATI products.

I am currently using an nVidia GeForce4 4200 Ti 8x AGP card an I am thinking of upgrading.

I am currently comparing the ATI 9600 Pro, ATI 9800 Pro and nVidia 6600 GT cards. All are 128 MB DDR cards.

The comparison between the ATI cards is straight forward (one being better, the other being cheper) But, for those techs out there, how does the nVidia card compare to the ATI products.

Without doubt .... get the 6600 GT

With all due respect to ATI users I think that you'll be better off putting you're money on the 6600 GT.....

But dont just take my word for it check out Tom's Hardware Guide or the Guru3d forum.....

This card runs Lock on extremley well and also here's another thought.....

For about 40.00 USD addional you can have get the XFX 6600 256 AGP which is the way to go if your'e not going to upgrade your mother board to a PCI express........

This is the newest release from nVidia is very close to the 6800 but for a lot less money....

It doesn't have as many pipelines but is still very fast and it also has the 6 series pure video technology for ease in setting up tuneings for HDTV / Plasma / LCD's......

I hope that this helps .....

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Some benchmarks:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1714&page=3

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1714&page=4

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1714&page=5

As you can see the 6600GT maintains the performance even at high resolutions.

I have ordered mine, what are u waiting for to order yours? =D

Going against popular opinion here, but for a medium priced card? For an AGP card, yeah, get nVidia's card, but for PCI express...I don't know - if you can find an X800XL for its retail price, I'd highly recommend it. It gives a lot of (much) more expensive graphics cards a run for their money, offering simliar performance despite its relatively cheap retail price (approx. $300-400).

And the first thing anyone should do once they get a new generation ATI/Nvidia card is to play Lock On with overcast in a thunderstorm. It's a fantastic experience.

sigzk5.jpg

Ive got a 6800GT for sale if someone will make a reasonable offer - if not it will go on e-bay soon

I've now got an X800XT

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

because the X800XT is faster and I don't have a mobo which is SLI

the real reason is that I returned it thinking it was faulty (after 3 months). they have sent it back to be fixed and said it would be 3 to 4 weeks. So I got a X800XT to fill the gap as the shop said they will buy the 6800 back from me on its return.

It turns out that it was my mobo - not the graphics card but it will still be a few weeks until its return. So I have some options open to me.....

1. collect my 6800GT and sell the X800XT

2. Let the shop buy the 6800GT off me when its returned

3. Sell the 6800GT

(and a few other combinations)

I have not been disapointed with the 6800GT at all. Its a good card but the x800XT is faster and gives me more FPS with more AA / AF turned on than the 6800. Hewnce I'm selling the 6800GT in about 2 weeks when it arrives back

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

• 2 weeks later...

Better nate then lever*

I had a similiar quandry, price vs. performance.

I finally settled (not too long ago) on the Sapphire 9600XT 256Mb. $125.00 US

I believe the XT has more pipes than the Pro.

Thing to consider...ATI cards seem to have an issue with the F10 view in multiplayer. My old GeForce would toggle between F10 and Cockpit flawlessly, but the ATI is dead ringer for trouble after about 10 toggles.

2 cents worth. :P

*There is a joke that goes with that...

When all else fails, Eject then read the manual.

Oh, and a good wingman helps.

I had a similiar quandry, price vs. performance.

I finally settled (not too long ago) on the Sapphire 9600XT 256Mb. $125.00 US

I believe the XT has more pipes than the Pro.

Thing to consider...ATI cards seem to have an issue with the F10 view in multiplayer. My old GeForce would toggle between F10 and Cockpit flawlessly, but the ATI is dead ringer for trouble after about 10 toggles.

2 cents worth. :P

*There is a joke that goes with that...

I haven't had any problems with toggling F10 when I had my 9600pro and now my X800pro.

Well in my squad its a well known no no to hit f10 w/an ati card or f2 or any F-keys for that mattter. Its like russian roulette till your game freezes and you have to do the dreaded hard boot. One time this cost me a corrupt boot sector and I had to reformat. Never had any such instance on my 6800gt so far (knock on wood).

Ya go with the 6600gt it blows 9800pro away.