Mulit Monitor

several options:

1, multi head card like modern nvidia and span the view horizontally or vertically and modify the aspect ratio and resolution in the config files.

that will use 2 out of three, unfortunately split screen in the middle, boo.

2, get an older matrox parhelia card or possibly an old nvidia quatro i think.

both these solutions are getting old now though.

3, lash out and buy yourself a matrox triplehead2go adaptor box that tells the pc all 3 monitors are just one big wide screen.

provided you can run all three monitors at the same resolution and refresh rate.

hows that? :)

I was tinking about using one screen for the instrument panel with a mylar mirror , in orther to use just one screen for all the gauges , (I dont know if the gauges size can be adjusted to fit one screen) in front of the mirror i would put a panel with holes (for each gauge) reproducing the basic mig or sukhoi instrument panel , and in front maybe a projector ?, and another screen to create the HUD.

Well sounds easy but....money and technical aspects are other thing

you have the right ideas, i too look forward to getting a ful pit setup with glass gauges and hopefully vsd and tews on small lcds.

and one just for hud, i hear ya...

we are definately getting closer, but afaik so far no cigar.:thumbup:

I guess not many of us can afford three projectors, which would be ulimate to have three big screens. Something like the following would be cool. Maybe using the matrox triplehead2go adaptor box for the three monitors at the top, connected to one of the two outputs from a video card, the other output for the monitor below that will show the gauges, using the F4Glass or the simmeters software.

recon03.jpg

recon04.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That is the first triplehead cockpit I've seen and it looks great. Any serious cockpit builder should invest in a TripleHead setup, especially if they are spending lots of money elsewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a very expensive triple projector cockpits come from Hi-Rev sims or Clark's Precision Machine & Tool soon (if they don't already have them).

Just as a note, my triplehead Lock On woes continue with troublesome FOV issues, but I'm getting closer to solving them.

SimHQ Technology Editor

TSH member

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for the thread revival,

anyone got some screenshots of the simmeters gauges or the lomac2f4glass.

i assume thats what would be on the middle monitor of the "highrevsim" cockpit a few posts back.

very interested to see these in action....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering why multimonitor setup has not gained more traction by the ED devs and moders. The implementation in MS FlightSimulator has been around for years mainly in this Wideview application.

left.jpg

Now, I've learned that even the open project FlightGear has this functionality implemented already! Basically, they take the flight dynamics model which runs in the master computer and spit out the data 60x per sec over the LAN and then the other computers on the network run the client with different external views. FlightGear is an open source project so somebody might look into their code and attempt to develop similar functionality for Lockon as well..

master<>slave multimon explained in brief here:

http://www.inkdrop.net/dave/multimon.pdf

techical details search for this at FlightGear website:

$FG_ROOT/Docs/README.IO

http://www.flightgear.org/docs.html

Here is my variant :D

04a_cockpit_$C3$BCbersicht_ohne_blitz.jpg

When building my Cockpit i had a Head-Mounted-Display with a Headtracker in my mind.

But todays HMD´s are realy expensive if the resolution is higher than 800X600 pixels.

look at this one for example : http://www.cybermindnl.com/

This Visette45 SXGA (1280x1024) does cost aprox. 6900 Euros. !!! :(

The cheaper HMDs with only 800X600 resolution ( hi-Res900™ for example ) also work perfectly in combination with an Intertrax 2 Headtracker from Intersense. :thumbup:

You can look around and you will have a fantastic flight immersion but the optics of 800X600 Pixels is not detailed enough to read the instruments clearly or detect any aircraft in a dogfight from a distance. The Field of View is very small (only 31.5 degrees diagonal) and your eyes hurt when you wear the HMD several hours on your head ( yes... i tested it with a hi-Res900™ HMD ).

So i splitted the VGA signal to several 21" CRT´s Monitors and use the Intertrax2 Headtracker with this setup :P

All of the Monitors show the same picture...but if i turn my head to the right and look on the most right Monitor ( always keeping the eyes in the same line as my head ) i can look outside the cockpit and see my right wingtip.

And vice versa !

But this time i do look on 1024X768 pixels on a 21" Screen and yes i can detect any ground target or Plane that is close to me.

Not sure if an Track IR Headtracker does have the same operation angles as an Intertrax 2 , but i can turn my head from full right to full left position (aprox. 190-200 Degrees) without any delay on the screens which raises flight immersion 100 %. :pilotfly: :D :D

My Geforce 7800 GTX can run 1024 X 768 at 8XAA and 8XAF with real nice Framerates and that really is eyecandy. :smartass:

My only hope is that the radiation of my CRT´s will not cause a harm to me with the years :( .... TFT´s are still much too expensive :mad:

greetings

GSG_9_LIGHTNING :)

best regards,

GSG_9_LIGHTNING

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

until LOCK ON does not support multi monitors like MS FS 2004 i have to live with the moving picture while i turn my head... as i said the picture is clear and big enough to see lots of details in the game.

And my solution is by far much cheaper than this variant which has already been posted here :

http://www.strangebusiness.com/content/item/100727.html

This guy needs 7 complete computers ( may be even more , we just see 7 PCs on the picture ) each with a fast CPU and Graphics Card to have good FPS on each screen while he is flying ....

I just need one computer , my HEADTRACKER does the rest ! thats my point :)

greetings,

Lightning

best regards,

GSG_9_LIGHTNING

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Is there any cure available for the crashes when using high FOV (~200 or more)? I have been testing out three monitors with LOMAC (with SoftTH) but the high FOV crashing pretty much ruins the whole thing. Game works fine otherwise but when zooming out with those very high FOV settings it just randomly crashes in userinterface.dll.

If I manage to zoom out once without crashing and keep it there it seems to work great then, but playing all the time with the wide fov is not very pleasant either...

Just scored my third projector, add a 7952 video card, and a triple head-to-go and vola, Lockon on three large screens. If you suffer from motion sickess you need not apply :), couple of rolls and the tummys a shaking. funnily enough I didn't get that effect with only one screen.

Cheers

Peter

IMG_0084.thumb.JPG.0a54ffee01c716257c12461250406892.JPG

Wow! I don't have th2go, let alone three projectors. Must be really nice.

If I were you Pete, I'd put another screen at the center so that the edges of the three screens touch to minimize the gaps in between. Then the big picture will be seamless and really awesome.

My plan is to get the bugeye three head display (it's quite a big sum) and use it with the th2go. Then add a monitor to display the gauges, if you can figure out how to make FC 1.12 work with the f4glass.

• 5 months later...
Is there any cure available for the crashes when using high FOV (~200 or more)? I have been testing out three monitors with LOMAC (with SoftTH) but the high FOV crashing pretty much ruins the whole thing. Game works fine otherwise but when zooming out with those very high FOV settings it just randomly crashes in userinterface.dll.

If I manage to zoom out once without crashing and keep it there it seems to work great then, but playing all the time with the wide fov is not very pleasant either...

i totally overlooked half your post and i looks as though you had discovered softTH long before i saw it :)

the high FOV is a big problem for me, i think 175 was my stable max, over 180 started the crashes and distorted the view excessively.

Just scored my third projector, add a 7952 video card, and a triple head-to-go and vola, Lockon on three large screens. If you suffer from motion sickess you need not apply :), couple of rolls and the tummys a shaking. funnily enough I didn't get that effect with only one screen.

Cheers

Peter

could we have an update on your setup please peter...

more pics etc, cheers g3.