Where are the chaff and flare coming from?

No need for correction.

photof58.jpg

photof59.jpg

Above photos show early production Su-27 chaff/flare box and the later Su-37 chaff/flare box

Asus ROG Strix B-560-F, Intel i9-11900k, EVGA GTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000, 1TB WD Blue SN550 NVME SSD, Asus PB287Q 28" 3840x2160 TN 4K, Thrustmaster Warthog + F/A-18 HOTAS, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar, Thrustmaster TFRP rudder, Razer orbweaver chroma.

The artist formerly known as VVS 504 Wolverine.

Why on Sov a/c do flares come out the top ... if you turn away from an IR missile, I guess you want to get the flares between you and the AAM ASAP, this seems more effect with bottom mounted flare displensers ... as you turn, the bottom deployed flares seem to cover your path.

A better solution would seem to be multiple flare dispensers around the a/c that could deploy fales/chaff in the optimum position for a given intercept angle ... do any a/c have this?

James

At big altitude it doesnt matter' date=' i guess.... BUt. at low one, more effective is to deploy them to the top, :), because there's earth below....[/quote']

I would say the opposite .. low down you are going to get shot at by MANPADs from below ... so you want them between you and the ground quickly!

James

but what if you're really low-hugging the ground kinda low. Up is the way, imo.

Also, I would think that a pilot would break hard left or right as soon as he pumps out those flare.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Also, I would think that a pilot would break hard left or right as soon as he pumps out those flare.

But that's what I mean ... if you break into a hard turn, and the flares are coming out 'above' you, they are inside your turn, and I would have thought you need them outside - between you and the threat.

• ED Team

The selection one good place for chaffs and flares cartridges for all causes in combat not that simple.

For IR SAM the best way release countermeasures to bottom hemisphere. But if you sit in the Su or MiG cockpit and on your six the F-15 with big desire to kick your ass with Sidewinders, i think the best way will shoot flares back and higher. :)

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

As you say there is no 1 good place ... its different for different scenarios. Which is why I was wondering if any a/c have multiple dispensers around the plane and the EW system selects the best spread to fire from mutliple dispensers ...

James

One explanation I've run across somewhere is that the upward firing flares were implemented based on experience in Afghanistan, where much of the MANPAD threat came from mountain tops above the low-flying helicopters. Of course, the irony is that the jets never flew that low in 'Stan, while the flare shots slapped on the choppers as a result of the IR SAM threat fired 'laterally' to the sides.

??

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules