Long thread on SF problems with SH3.

Guest ruggbutt

To be fair almost all of those are problems w/the copy protection interfering w/the DVD drives. This happens w/all types of copy protection, and it happened quite a bit w/the original copy protection w/LOMAC.

let's continue here

I did some more checking, and SHIII has had it's Starforce cracked already. :(

Yes, that's right. It's possible (but it's hard though) to crack an aplication file, which is encrypted by SF and change\patch protection checking algorithm. And this is possible with virtually any protection scheme. But you will have to use this cracked application EXE file, not original one, so most likely you wont be able to apply official patches (unless they are cracked too).

But strong point of SF is - you can not just copy your game CD with Alcoholer120 or CloneCD on blank CD-R\RW and play it.

There're was a possibility to fool old versions of SF (before Nov 2004) with hacking programms like Star**** or StarForceNightmare, but new versions of SF is protected agains it, and now I don't know the way of running SF-protected game without original CD\DVD and using original, non-cracked EXE.

Game with other protections (e.g. SafeDisk), is possible to just copy original CD on CD-R and game will run just fine.

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic2354_5.gif[/sigpic]

But strong point of SF is - you can not just copy your game CD with Alcoholer120 or CloneCD on blank CD-R\RW and play it.

No. Any modern CP makes it impossible to just copy the CD. You always need a crack and that's why after every new patch of the game you have a new crack coming out.

The only thing SF is different, is its encryption. The more games come out with SF the faster they will be cracked; my guess.

Guest ruggbutt

Either way FC will be cracked. The crackers do it because it's a challenge. It doesn't matter if the game is a niche product or something huge like HL2.

No. Any modern CP makes it impossible to just copy the CD. You always need a crack and that's why after every new patch of the game you have a new crack coming out.

The only thing SF is different, is its encryption. The more games come out with SF the faster they will be cracked; my guess.

If you have a knowledge in cracking\copeing, then you should know warez scene and CloneCD group. They are releasing untouched copies of games, protected by "SafeDisk", without any cracks or illegal patches.

"There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble." Sun Tzu

If you have a knowledge in cracking\copeing, then you should know warez scene and CloneCD group. They are releasing untouched copies of games, protected by "SafeDisk", without any cracks or illegal patches.

If you use a cracked patch you run the risk of downloading a trojan horse. Its better just to stick with the original game and that way everything works with dev support.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

If you use a cracked patch you run the risk of downloading a trojan horse. Its better just to stick with the original game and that way everything works with dev support.

Seems some people have no choice since they paid for the game and it wont work w/out a crack. Shame it comes to this. Game doesnt like your dvd drive then you have no choice but to dload and put the crack patch in if you want to play what you paid for. Again copywrite protection screws no one but the paying customer. If you're gonna buy it you're gonna buy it.

Guest ruggbutt

The issues w/the DVD drive involve these things: A hard copy (CD or DVD), Starforce (and in many instances other copy protection) and a disc drive that's older. The complaints on those forums are almost specifically involving the drive not reading the disc. For the majority of us who will be downloading FC we won't be using our disc drives. If I read correctly we'll be using an .exe to install the game. Then Starforce to activate it. For those in the CIS who will be buying a hard copy will (if at all) have the issues posted in those forums.

This has been going on w/copy protection since Ravenshield was released. It's older drives not liking (or being able to read) the copy protection. I know UBI was giving those people an "official unprotected .exe", although you really had to be the squeaky wheel to get your issue solved. I'm not sure how ED will handle these problems.

Remember that it's pretty much all forms or copy protection that can do this in specific circumstances. It's not just relegated to Starforce.

Seems some people have no choice since they paid for the game and it wont work w/out a crack. Shame it comes to this. Game doesnt like your dvd drive then you have no choice but to dload and put the crack patch in if you want to play what you paid for. Again copywrite protection screws no one but the paying customer. If you're gonna buy it you're gonna buy it.

Did you ever heard of customer support? Those SH3 users, who did and who had some problems with drives, contacted us and got their game working after 1-2 e-mails.

• ED Team

Im still wondering why ED chose any CopyProtection instead of watermarking their product on every copy.

As i already mentioned, StarForce was once a really good protection but i dont think that this Lockon Addon has this wide customer base that a Protection License will refund itself with the additional sells which will be made by protecting this game. But Starforce must have really skilled marketing guys ! :)

• ED Team
Did you ever heard of customer support? Those SH3 users, who did and who had some problems with drives, contacted us and got their game working after 1-2 e-mails.

Email 1:

Which DVD Drive do you have?

Email 2:

Open your PC and get this DVD Drive out and everything should be okay.

:) just kidding !

Im still wondering why ED chose any CopyProtection instead of watermarking their product on every copy.

Watermarks wont work in this case. Let's say one John Doe will register on PayPal and buy a copy of LO:FC, then spead it around ( many warez groups purchase games to release it to scene early ).

So you'll find a lot of John Doe's watermarked copies on the Net and how this fact can help ED/TFC?

Guest ruggbutt
I will buy it anyway as i support little game companies. I have several StarForce protected games even when when you can download them all on the net.

You can find any game on the net. :( Fact is that I prefer to pay for mine as all you do is hurt the PC gamers and in a niche market such as Flight Sims you really affect the developer. If you play, you should pay. Besides, the games/sims aren't expensive to start with. It's a great bang for your buck.

You can find any game on the net. :( Fact is that I prefer to pay for mine as all you do is hurt the PC gamers and in a niche market such as Flight Sims you really affect the developer. If you play, you should pay. Besides, the games/sims aren't expensive to start with. It's a great bang for your buck.

as much as I hate any restrictions placed on legitimate users, and the massive problems I had with Raven Shield (I have two copies, often I could not log on for multiplayer thanks to the authentication servers having issues) I think online authentication is the way to go. Of course this is usually only any good for multiplayer. Steam showed it can work, but having a game that only works if you are connected to the internet sounds like commercial suicide to me. I know there are ways for non-connected people to play, but having read through them I would have taken the game back if i had to work that way.

disk protection does little to solve piracy issues, and just annoys the hell out of legitimate users like me. Once you annoy us enough then there'll be no one buying the products, cept the pirates to crack them.

The international version of GTR just came out: I bought it as usual to support a serious sim developer, even though N2003 with the GTP mod is better fun, and much better online. a crack was available online before the game shipped in the UK. so much for that starforce protected game.

so what can the developers do to make the game more a must buy rather than just a must have? proper printed manual perhaps? codes for registration that provide something to the user? maybe just make the game cheaper, possibly by missing out the middleman distributor and publishing online?

suggestions on a postcard please...

I totally agree with pilgrim. I d/l the no/cd patch for FS2002 and 2004cof (and other non flt sim software). This alone gave me piece of mind, when you pay for a sim at £50, the last thing you need is for your CD/DVD drive to destroy or damage your disk. It doesnt hurt anyone and having the original copy didnt mean i was hurting the Developers either (even though its microsoft). We will have to see what pans out, but the majority of folks who use this forum, are the people who are going to wake up a 05:00 on the 5th April to d/l the game and pay for it. After all the waiting and winging all we want to do is play the god damn game.

yes, it does support Win98 OS as well as AMD-64bits processors.

http://www.star-force.com/index.phtml?category=61&type=5