The Rookie Thread

How are night missions normally completed if the “Shkval” Tv is no good at night?

You can aim the Shkval manually on target, which is doable if the heli and target isn't moving or moving particularly fast. Sometimes the Shkval goes haywire though and ruins the shot...

My DCS stream

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Past broadcasts, Highlights

Currently too much to do... But watch and (maybe) learn something :)

You can aim the Shkval manually on target, which is doable if the heli and target isn't moving or moving particularly fast. Sometimes the Shkval goes haywire though and ruins the shot...

Additionally, if you're willing to get close enough, you can boresight the gun and/or rockets and just aim the old-fashioned way. Again, this requires that you get pretty darned close, but if you're clearing out something that doesn't shoot back, this can be fairly effective.

• 3 weeks later...

Did I Even Upgrade to Black Shark 2?

While flying I've noticed that the cockpit shadows aren't as dynamic as I've seen them demonstrated in some videos on YouTube. Portions of the 'pit do get darker or lighter.... but I'm not seeing what is demonstrated here:

So now I'm wondering if I have even upgraded my copy of Black Shark, purchased through Steam, to Black Shark 2, or did I buy and install an upgrade for Black Shark 2.

I bought "DCS: Black Shark 2 Upgrade 1.2.3" when it was $9.99, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm not seeing much in the shadow department and I am wondering if I goofed and bought the wrong product. :doh:

My graphics settings inlcude:

Shadows: High

HDR: Normal

Hey guys, been playing for a little while but am still really new and learning things.

I have been practicing with the famous "how to take off and blow stuff up" mission and have gotten really good at taking out the targets, flying straight, and most importantly not crashing.

Until now I had been using the automated start up procedures (Left Windows key + Home). I thought it would be a good time to start learning how to turn the thing on myself.

I can completely power up the system and take off with no warning lights flashing at me. I have even started getting comfortable with the com systems talking to ATC and the ground crew.

What I can't figure out is why my master arm switch is not turning on my weapons anymore. I must be missing something in the accelerated start ups I've been watching and reading but I cannot figure it out.

When I flip the master switch on nothing happens, no lights on the panel or any numbers indicating the weapons left available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Disregard, I have figured it out. Didn't realize I couldn't access the weapons til I took off in the mission.

Edited by Sorbek

Turn on your weapons system power. It's the switch to the right of the red zebra ejection switches.

Yup, that should be it.

The yellow lights indicating loaded stations and the readout for remaining gun ammo should already be visible independent of Master Arm.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been flying night missions and am using the NVG's, I noticed the “Shkval” TV does not like night missions. I have read the manual trying to find out if there is a way to change the “Shkval” TV to night mode or something but I have not had any luck. I did find this,

"The I-251 (И-251) “Shkval” electro-optical targeting system is designed to detect targets via electro-optical imagery that provides 7x and 23x magnification under visual, daylight conditions. It can then process that information and use it for automated targeting and weapons delivery.?

How are night missions normally completed if the “Shkval” Tv is no good at night?

The Ka-50 is meant to be a day-time attack helicopter, but generally, you will want to use NVG at night as opposed to the HMS. Best thing to do is turn down the brightness of the TV screen, turn off all other lights in the cockpit, and adjust to your needs. You will want to uncage the Shkval when facing the target area, and slew it to the target, since you cannot slave your Shkval from the HMS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

New to KA-50 here. I just wanted to say...this bird is solid to handle at first but once you've click with her, she's amazing. Cannot believe I hadn't bought this bird earlier than now. Thanks ED :D

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Hi

New to KA-50 here. I just wanted to say...this bird is solid to handle at first but once you've click with her, she's amazing. Cannot believe I hadn't bought this bird earlier than now. Thanks ED :D

You bet. Epic bird is epic.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Hello! Recently purchased DCS Black Shark, my first heli flight sim. Ive watched most of the producer note tutorials and have survived the first few campaign missions.

Flying in the mountains is tricky... but all the autopilot controls on the KA50 are awesome. I love doing all the flying and shooting myself.

I am finding the Shkval finicky and inconsistent when trying to put into bore sight/gun sight mode so I can point and shoot. Is gunsight mode AKA Head on Airborne target mode? It seems i have to hit the default button 'P' a bunch of times while my Shkval swings around like crazy.

Im also having trouble consistently getting a 'TA' lock.. sometimes I get the countdown and nothing happens, sometimes I have to hold it? Or uncage an ATGM or my cannon first?

My current method is Uncage shkval, switch manual targeting (C shows on hud), choose a weapon, hit Lock Target to get that 'TT' and the Shkval to hold position, then hit Lock Target again to get 'TA'. Sometimes the I cant get the 'TT' hold and I have to mash the button a few times or reset.

What am I doing wrong? Any tips would be appreciated! :D

X52

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

From the manual, pg 6-102:

“ППС” (Head-on airborne target) button. Pressing this button will adjust the fuze of the Vikhr ATGMs onboard to use a proximity fuze suited to attacking airborne targets in the forward hemisphere (high aspect).

"C" is not manual targeting. When the "weapon control switch" (Manual pg. 6-54) is set to AUTO, "C" shows in the HUD when launch parameters for the selected weapon are set.

Or as the manual states (since it's probably easier to understand):

“РУЧН-АВТ” (Manual/Auto weapon control switch). Placing this switch in the up "РУЧН" position commands manual weapon and sensor control, and placing the switch in the down "АВТ" position commands automatic control. When in manual mode, computed launch authorization, automated gate tracking size, and vertical compensation Vikhr launcher to target are absent. You should only use the manual mode when the automatic mode is inoperative.

The only time I use MAN weapon control is when I engage targets that are outside Vihkr range but circumstances allow the Vihkr to reach the target anyway (eg. wind, height, vision) or at night time when an actual lock are hard/impossible to get.

Not sure which countdown you are referring to. When using guns, the countdown (6-8 seconds) is the time for the gun to be correctly adjusted for the tracked target.

These videos show two different ways to use the systems for the given situation. It's how I do it at least :)

http://www.twitch.tv/juclecia/c/2203700 - Air to air using guns with no actual target lock.

http://www.twitch.tv/juclecia/c/1851814 - Air to air using Vihkr with target lock.

My DCS stream

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Past broadcasts, Highlights

Currently too much to do... But watch and (maybe) learn something :)

BS and BS2 are basically the same game but BS2 uses more recent version of the game engine and has some new features like being a module of DCS World.

Agreed.

Some more points to help you make the right choice:

• BS1 is less hardware "hungry".
  • I don't think BS1 is going to receive any patches in the future. Some known bugs will remain in that version.
  • BS2 has some cool new graphics features like dynamic cockpit shadows.
  • BS2 is supposed to profit from future DCS updates.
  • I think it'll be hard to find a lot of other players to fly BS1 online.
  • BS2 can be played online together with all other DCS modules, so you can fly together with (or against) human controlled A-10C and so on, including the combined arms module for ground attack vehicles.
  • IIRC one of the bugs fixed in BS2 is ground objects being invisible in the Shkval targeting system beyond a certain range; this made it very difficult to find targets under certain conditions in BS1.

In terms of cockpit controls, flight model, procedures, damage modeling etc. BS1 and BS2 are very close to each other. Unless you have specific reasons to go for BS1, I'd suggest you start with BS2 right away.

Greetings all

Purchase the sim Friday, had the A-10C for a while and had too much hard time learning it, been fooling around with the P-51D which i love and will bring out the hanger often for some free flyig but have log all weekend in the Ka50, simply love the hunt with it, thank you ED for this incredible sim and please release the Huey on Steam asap!!!

Now back to the hunt :)

BS and BS2 are basically the same game but BS2 uses more recent version of the game engine and has some new features like being a module of DCS World.
Agreed.

Some more points to help you make the right choice:

• BS1 is less hardware "hungry".
  • I don't think BS1 is going to receive any patches in the future. Some known bugs will remain in that version.
  • BS2 has some cool new graphics features like dynamic cockpit shadows.
  • BS2 is supposed to profit from future DCS updates.
  • I think it'll be hard to find a lot of other players to fly BS1 online.
  • BS2 can be played online together with all other DCS modules, so you can fly together with (or against) human controlled A-10C and so on, including the combined arms module for ground attack vehicles.
  • IIRC one of the bugs fixed in BS2 is ground objects being invisible in the Shkval targeting system beyond a certain range; this made it very difficult to find targets under certain conditions in BS1.

In terms of cockpit controls, flight model, procedures, damage modeling etc. BS1 and BS2 are very close to each other. Unless you have specific reasons to go for BS1, I'd suggest you start with BS2 right away.

thank you for your attention

i was wory if i dont learn bs1 first i miss somethings.

that happened before, when i was going from su25 to su25T.

Hi there, I just purchased BS2 a few days ago after playing Take on Helicopters for a few weeks and wanted something more realistic.

I started with the BigfootMSR training missions, done only the flight ones so far and I gotta say, compared to the autopilot-less helicopters in TOH this bird is a joy to fly. Landing, too. It's rock solid so long as I trim properly and don't turn off the autopilot channels (I did that at first, thinking "pffff who needs this I can handle it! then promptly flipped the bird over 5 meters off the ground :joystick: *)

Anyway, I had a few questions and I'm sorry if any of these had already been covered (I only got to page 36, couldn't read the rest).

1. I use TrackIR, and when I move my head it seems like the view starts to slowly auto-center itself, even if I don't move my head. Is there a way to disable this?

2. Where are the "Engine Throttle Levers" in the cockpit? I know I cannot directly control them by clicking on them with the mouse, and have to use PageUP/PageDOWN, but I would like to be able to actually see them so I know what position they are set in. For example PgUP x2 will set it to "auto", but then what position does PageUP x 1 set them to? And if I press the button 3 times, why is there an alarm that starts going off? I'm sure if I could actually see where they are and see what settings I'm changing I'd figure that out...

4. Difference between Barometric and Radar altimeters. In the training mission it says that the radar altimiter is not accurate above 300 meters, so it switches to barometric. But I notice that when it switches, there's a giant leap in altitude it displays. For example as I'm climbing to 300, to goes like.. 270, 280, 290, then when it passes 300 and goes BOOM! 0600+ meters. I'm so confused... where did these extra 300 meters come from?

5. I have a Saitek X52 Pro. What should I be using to control the collective? When I started playing Take on Helicopters I only had a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, and for a $40 stick that wasn't bad. But it had a tiny little flap for throttle (or collective) and that was very insufficient.

So I bought the X52 so that I could have a dedicated throttle, but, something I couldn't have anticipated is that this throttle is not smooth... there's some kind of "bumps" in it at the lower end and at the far end, meaning that if I try to apply smooth collective over these "bumps" then I'd have a similar bump in collective input in the game - not good! :doh:

And even ignoring the bumps, the rest of the throttle seems a bit stiff, even when I turn the resistence knob all the way down.

I tried the slider, but it's a little stiff and doesn't give me smooth control either. I've also tried some of the rotating rings on the throttle, but again these are rather stiff and don't give good control.

What do you guys use for collective control? Maybe I should just add some grease or something to make these things smoother...

Thanks for any help!

* Turned out the toe pedals on my rudder were setup to give banking input :huh:

Edited by guitarxe

2. Where are the "Engine Throttle Levers" in the cockpit? I know I cannot directly control them by clicking on them with the mouse, and have to use PageUP/PageDOWN, but I would like to be able to actually see them so I know what position they are set in. For example PgUP x2 will set it to "auto", but then what position does PageUP x 1 set them to? And if I press the button 3 times, why is there an alarm that starts going off? I'm sure if I could actually see where they are and see what settings I'm changing I'd figure that out...

Two yellow levers on the left side of the cockpit in the back, aft of the Shkval control panel. Pageup once, I dunno; pageup twice is auto, pageup three times is either manual or maximum? Someone else will know. The alarm is a warning for rotor RPM, I think--you'll also sometimes hear it if you're carrying a heavy load and demand too much from the engines.

4. Difference between Barometric and Radar altimeters. In the training mission it says that the radar altimiter is not accurate above 300 meters, so it switches to barometric. But I notice that when it switches, there's a giant leap in altitude it displays. For example as I'm climbing to 300, to goes like.. 270, 280, 290, then when it passes 300 and goes BOOM! 0600+ meters. I'm so confused... where did these extra 300 meters come from?

Radar altimeter measures altitude above ground level, barometric altimeter measures height above sea level.

5. I have a Saitek X52 Pro. What should I be using to control the collective? When I started playing Take on Helicopters I only had a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, and for a $40 stick that wasn't bad. But it had a tiny little flap for throttle (or collective) and that was very insufficient.

So I bought the X52 so that I could have a dedicated throttle, but, something I couldn't have anticipated is that this throttle is not smooth... there's some kind of "bumps" in it at the lower end and at the far end, meaning that if I try to apply smooth collective over these "bumps" then I'd have a similar bump in collective input in the game - not good! :doh:

And even ignoring the bumps, the rest of the throttle seems a bit stiff, even when I turn the resistence knob all the way down.

I tried the slider, but it's a little stiff and doesn't give me smooth control either. I've also tried some of the rotating rings on the throttle, but again these are rather stiff and don't give good control.

What do you guys use for collective control? Maybe I should just add some grease or something to make these things smoother...

You definitely want to do whatever you have to to use the main throttle handle.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

1. I use TrackIR, and when I move my head it seems like the view starts to slowly auto-center itself, even if I don't move my head. Is there a way to disable this?

I don't think I've ever noticed this kind of behavior.

There's an excellent tutorial on

. Even though it's been done for A-10C (and may not cover this particular problem), I'm sure you'll learn a lot! :thumbup:

2. Where are the "Engine Throttle Levers" in the cockpit? [...]

As Fishbreath said, they're located on the left back wall.

I'll just quote the manual on their function:

Separate engines throttle levers

The separate engine throttle levers are located on the engines control panel under pilot’s left hand. They have common axis of rotation and move upward – downward.

The throttle levers have four fixed positions:

1. Idle.

2. Governor fail.

3. Auto.

4. Max.

[...]

At IDLE mode are usualy performed startup procedures and most of the systems functional tests.

GOVERNOR FAIL is needed in case of failure of power turbine’s RPM governor to avoid engine (power turbine) overspeed.

AUTO is the main mode during normal opertion of the powerplant. All flights must be performed at this mode, except for specific emergencies.

MAX mode is intended to ensure maximum power of one engine in case of failure of the other engine.

I don't want to throw an RTFM at you, but the manual is a very valuable source of information on all the Shark's systems. You'll find it in a folder called "docs" somewhere in your BS installation directory, or it can be downloaded from ED's website.

4. Difference between Barometric and Radar altimeters. [...]

Wait, where's item #3? :D

Anyways, it's quite simple. At more than 300m AGL (above ground level) the HUD altimeter switches to the barometric readout. Let's say your barometric altimeter is set so it displays altitude above sea level (MSL/mean sea level or ASL/above sea level) and let's say you're flying over terrain that has an elevation of 300m. Quite simply, as soon as you go above 300m AGL, the display switches to MSL, which is 300m (terrain) plus 300m (AGL) equals 600m MSL.

To spice it up a little: Barometric pressure is not constant throughout the world (and DCS reflects this). That's one of the reasons that the altimeter can be adjusted for local barometric pressure so that it displays altitude accurately.

To add to the complexity, you can either set it so it displays altitude above mean sea level, or so that it displays 0 at the airfield you're operating from. For more info on this, look for QFE and QNE (DCS only uses QFE, which becomes relevant when you contact ATC inbound for landing and he tells you something like "Fly heading X for Y, QFE Z).

5. I have a Saitek X52 Pro. What should I be using to control the collective? [...]

Definitely the throttle. Maybe someone else can give some advice on how to set it up so that the bumps don't annoy you, but it's definitely the throttle that you'll want to use as collective.

Yes, I've seen videos of taking apart the throttle and removing some kind of lug that is responsible for the "bumps". It seems something very simple to do, but I'm hesitant... I seem to be doing alright for now even with the bumps. Also thanks a lot for that video to setup the TrackIR! It's so smooth and much better control now than I've ever had it before! As for question #3... indeed where did it go? haha. Question 3 was: Is there a way to change field of view (FOV)? Currently it doesn't feel right to me. I often see objects on the peripheral of my vision get sort of "stretched out".