Rise Of Flight release

VireVolte_tigrou

Prepare to crash.

And i really hope you got a track-ir. Very poor visibility in those ancient match boxes.:)

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have TrackIR. I'm happy to crash. I'm still just getting into simming, and don't take it all to seriously but I do try to learn to fly well. My method of familiarisation isn't the best I suppose, as that's to buy all the reputedly good sims I can, and play them when I'm in the right mood.

Don tworry i really don t know how soe people are able to manage, dcs +ww2 + ww1 sim all at the same time perfectly.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

I totally suck, which is why I'm currently offline only. I just chill out in whatever way I feel that evening. Sometimes sims, sometimes more thoughtful games, sometimes twitchy arcady games. I always love going back to some good sims though. Rise of Flight looks different to anything i've tried before.

Right I've bought this and hopefully it should be delivered whilst I'm out at work today. Is there anything I should know before I try to run it for the first time?

Yes it will download large patch files so be prepared to leave it overnight :) But it will be a different game once patched, MUCH better.

Also - download all the free skin packs to make the planes look pretty from here: http://riseofflight.com/en/community/usefulmaterials

Plus any other things you find useful.

Wiki is also useful: http://en.wiki.riseofflight.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Some tips I've offered on the ROF forum before:

1. Change your trackir profile to make it more sensitive as needed so that you can look all the way on your 6 and above you and down at your instruments without it "freaking out" and jumping around.

2. Turn off trackir and save a gunsight view (bead in the ring), by holding a numpad number (e.g. 8), using pgup/pgdn/home/end/insert/del and the mouse to move it, then F10 to save it while still holding the numpad number. Then turn trackir back on.

You can then map the number (e.g. 8) to your joystick and hold that to be on your gunsight.

3. An alternative to no.2 is to put a deadzone on X and Y in your trackir profile, so that when your head is in the middle it will snap to the centre gunsight position. 6DOF looks cool but it sux for gunnery, but you can still lean left and right if you move your body out of the deadzone.

4. Turn off "TrueView" in trackir because it makes you sink in your seat... very bad in a dogfight as you can't see.

5. Focus on just 2-3 planes until you have them mastered. Probably focus on rotaries or non-rotaries at first. Central planes have no mixture for non-rotaries so are easier to learn quickly too (e.g. Pfalz D3a, Albatross).

6. Lookup Squids plane guides on the ROF useful materials! Download them and keep them handy.

7. Shift+A to go on auto-level if you have to go AFK or level out a plane that wants to point at the sky like the SE5a. I didn't know about this for ages! It works even on servers with autopilot set to off. Also if you are injured and not strong enough to push your stick forward, pushing forward in combination with Shift A means you can still fly level to try and escape.

8. Save your input settings to a different name other than "input", otherwise you will lose your settings when you do an update.

9. Radiators - if you have a temp gauge keep it around 70 for best performance. If not, it's normally ok about 70% open, but close it during dives.

10. Mixture - is easy. Just full rich on engine start, then adjust until your RPM guage is the highest you can get. Every 1000m altitude redo.

11. If you go online - be aware that most minimise their fuel level to get a huge edge in combat maneuvers! Lake dogfight is generally 20%, while large or historical maps people take 30-80%.

12. Camelfag bulletins - very interesting reading: http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=316

• Like 2

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

Wow Taipan. That's really great. Thanks! That'll keep me occupied whilst RoF patches itself! I just need to figure out a setup where I can move my stick forward-left without it hitting my monitor now. Maybe I should only play sims when I have time to set the PC up at the dining table!

Wow Taipan. That's really great. Thanks! That'll keep me occupied whilst RoF patches itself! I just need to figure out a setup where I can move my stick forward-left without it hitting my monitor now. Maybe I should only play sims when I have time to set the PC up at the dining table!

You might burn your eyes out sitting that close to the screen! I just have my stick next to the keyboard on the right, and throttle on left of keyboard. My stick is in line with my forearm when its on the armrest of the office chair.

Regarding multi-sims I can play DCS, ROF, FC2 all ok because I had periods of 2-3 months where I focus on one sim only when I first get it to fully learn it first. Now I know them, I can jump back into any black shark, su-25, ROF, or strike fighters 2.

Also I setup my HOTAS so each button does the same or similar thing in all sims, I set them all up to match the A-10C style of button mapping. ROF is a slight exception though because there is no slewing or locking of targets required, no gears, no flaps, and no trim just flying :pilotfly:

My god I see what you mean about crashing! These things are tough to control! I like it! (for a couple of days, I've migrated to the dining table, leaving plenty of room for a HOTAS.

I've only flown three times so far. The first time, i was playing around and sheared my wings by pulling sharply out of a dive. The second I BSOD'd shortly after take-off. The third I accidentally broke my plane by crashing into my wingman. Not even made it to an engagement yet. I do love the raw feeling of this sim though!

Any ETA on to the dynam,ic campaign ?

And yeah its awesome and funny.

Now that I have a new rig powerful enough for Rise of Flight, I must say.....it is a MUST HAVE for every serious flight simmer! :thumbup: :joystick:

Frazer i'd love to see what videos you can come up with after seeing your ka-50 vids! It is quite good for movie making, if you save a track you can play back from any angle and use the ASDF keys to move the view around your plane, with the mouse for the angle.

You can also right click and turn off the HUD with a button at the top.

These planes are very cool for practicing ACM and tricks. Just yesterday we were messing around with a handley page map, and after several tries one of us got the bomber under a bridge successfully :pilotfly:

Not necessarily true... You could make videos of "DO NOT...":D:thumbup:

1.017 is out.

The new Gotha is a real beast and beautifully modeled.

Plane sale on until the 6th also (all scouts $2.99, Bombers $11.99).

Can only hope the dynamic campaign will be in 1.018 and soon!

Once the dynamic campaign is in (and if it delivers) then for me ROF will be the very best sim ever made. :D

Good news but for the DC part.