Operation flashpoint 2, or Arma 2?

deadsmell

damn element, isnt it like a 9 gig download? how fast is it downloading from that site? Just asking, cuz you said it would be done tonight.

Just so you guys know, CM did confirm that there wont be a free look function, or track ir support. I know, I find it baffling that they made that decision as well, but unfortunately thats the way it is. So at this point, even if they realize their mistake and they could implement some track ir support, it wouldnt be nearly as polished as arma2.

I think bohemia has achieved a very realistic, very visceral experience with the track ir in arma 2. I mean some of the vids ive seen, it looks so natural its just breathtaking. I havent noticed any issue with the gun sway as you guys mentioned, but ill make sure to take an extra special look.

personally the head bob and gun sway that was demo'd for opflash:dr looked absolutley ridiculous to me, it was way overkill, and everytime I see it, it just reminds of someone that has to go number two real real bad, and they have their cheeks squeezed up as tight as they can, and they have theyre legs crossed, and they are taking these little baby steps walking around the battlefield that way bouncing all around. LOL sorry, im not trying to bash it either, it just really looks that way to me. LOL.

As a side note, I know the game just came out (arma 2) but im craving some of that good arma music, and I dont have arma installed ( i want to hear the new stuff anyway). Does anyone happen to know where I might be able to DL some of those audio files for my listening pleasure until I get my copy?

Dont let the smell get to ya...............

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn element, isnt it like a 9 gig download? how fast is it downloading from that site? Just asking, cuz you said it would be done tonight.

Just so you guys know, CM did confirm that there wont be a free look function, or track ir support. I know, I find it baffling that they made that decision as well, but unfortunately thats the way it is. So at this point, even if they realize their mistake and they could implement some track ir support, it wouldnt be nearly as polished as arma2.

I think bohemia has achieved a very realistic, very visceral experience with the track ir in arma 2. I mean some of the vids ive seen, it looks so natural its just breathtaking. I havent noticed any issue with the gun sway as you guys mentioned, but ill make sure to take an extra special look.

personally the head bob and gun sway that was demo'd for opflash:dr looked absolutley ridiculous to me, it was way overkill, and everytime I see it, it just reminds of someone that has to go number two real real bad, and they have their cheeks squeezed up as tight as they can, and they have theyre legs crossed, and they are taking these little baby steps walking around the battlefield that way bouncing all around. LOL sorry, im not trying to bash it either, it just really looks that way to me. LOL.

As a side note, I know the game just came out (arma 2) but im craving some of that good arma music, and I dont have arma installed ( i want to hear the new stuff anyway). Does anyone happen to know where I might be able to DL some of those audio files for my listening pleasure until I get my copy?

Yeah 7 gig, just finished and installing the patch now! I'm in Toronto so it's only 2am here ;)

i've got nothing but lay by the water tomorrow so I don't need much sleep ;)

Hopefully someone will make a mod to introduce natural weapon sway into OFP2. That rock steady console aiming is going to kill it imho lol!

Also, it's unkown at this point if OFP2 will have TrackIR or freelook capabilities due to the console nature of the game.

Still gonna by it tho. May be a midpoint between COD4/AA/Bf2 and ArmA2 :)

No and no. And there is no leaning either. Dragon Rising has been created with consoles in mind from the very beginning.

I just got ArmA 2 yesterday and I really had high hopes for this game, evident by my previous post, but so far I have to say that it’s not a great game, currently at least. I’ll explain what I mean later. But, it's basically ArmA with better graphics, albeit much, much better graphics. What bothers me the most is the AI which is just pretty awful. For example I’m playing a mission where I have to takeout a sniper that has another team pinned down and I didn’t have the greatest of angles on the sniper when I began to engage him so it took me a good 5 or 6 shots before I was finally able to kill him. That entire time I was shooting directly at him yet the sniper never moved an inch or even attempted to fire back at me, he just sat there and let me kill him.

The other bad thing about the AI is that they often operate solo instead of as squads or fire teams. Because of that you don’t get truly realistic and immersive firefights very often. It’s more like covering such huge terrain and engaging a random soldier or two as you move along. Which isn’t very intense and because of that you also don’t get to see the enemy using any good squad based tactics and makes the game feel too much like a DM. Your own AI can get pretty goofy at times as well, falling out of buildings and silly stuff like that.

The voice acting and comms are still bad too. The thing is though, the game really has so much potential, it just seems as if the missions don’t do the game any justice at all. With realistic conflicts, engagements, squad tactics present the game would really be a 10/10. But, right now it’s just not as realistic as it was cracked up to be, but I’m holding onto it hoping that some good mods and user created missions come out… We’ll see.. Or maybe the campaign and scenario mission get a lot better as you go along?? Hopefully someone further into the game can drop some good news in that regard.

Have you patched the game to 1.01? Are you using the AI modules correctly ? I have heard, and seen, a very different account from owners of the German version.

I'm sorry arcade games don't calculate individual bullet balistics and very accurate hit points, ofp has that among a ton of other simulation features. You simply cannot replicate real life soldier experience in a video game period at this point. You could complain arma 2 flight physics and avionics is totally arcade (because it is compared to black shark)

Judging a video played in easy mode in low rez in the alpha phase is a little premature I think.

CM stated they're balancing real world sim with overall gameplay. My point is it's to early for all the negativity (sim hq gave it a great wip review)

The genre that both Arma and OFP tackle is extinct without them, there's plenty of room for both games in my opinion.

I will buy arma for pc and ofp for xbox (currently glorified dust collector now.)

and you are right as Dragon Rising is mainly a console game.

Hopefully someone will make a mod to introduce natural weapon sway into OFP2. That rock steady console aiming is going to kill it imho lol!

Also, it's unkown at this point if OFP2 will have TrackIR or freelook capabilities due to the console nature of the game.

Still gonna by it tho. May be a midpoint between COD4/AA/Bf2 and ArmA2 :)

head sway option added now which is fantastic.

No and no. And there is no leaning either. Dragon Rising has been created with consoles in mind from the very beginning.

Have you patched the game to 1.01? Are you using the AI modules correctly ? I have heard, and seen, a very different account from owners of the German version.

and you are right as Dragon Rising is mainly a console game.

I forget what version I'm on, I'll have to check later. But, I should probably rephrase that anyway, it's not so much the way the AI reacts that I have a big problem with, it's the severe lack of squad vs squad battles that I don't like. The game needs that type of action in order to feel realistic IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to let those that may be interested know, that I have my 360 controller configured and working properly with the arma 2 demo, and it was easy and works great. I had to use xpadder to supplement a few commands that wouldnt work in the in-game control mapping (i used xpadder to configure z axis triggers for scope and fire).

I dont know why i couldnt get it working this well in Arma 1, but I dont think i had xpadder at the time i was struggling with that config.

Anyway im stoked, i can sit back with my controller in my lap, and my trackir strapped onto my face and thats exactly what i wanted. :)

Now i just have to wait to get my hands on a hard copy.

BTW im curious what kind of fps you guys are getting when doing the in-game benchmark? it seems no matter what settings i put it at, it says i only get 14, and thats even after shutting down a bunch of processes, despite that low number, the game still seems to be running fluidly to me.

can't wait for Arma2. Hope ACE will be made aswell for it!

ACE 2 is in development, just wait...

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

Settings picture?

no sorry, i didnt take a screenie.

I guess i just need a better vid card though, mine is the 8600gt and its only got 256 memory :(. I know i know, but after rebate I only paid 30.00 dollars for the damn thing.

I tweaked it (dropped the settings to low low low) and its running pretty smooth now, i think i got it to average like 26 fps at 1024x768, so it looks like thats as good as im gonna get for now. I still think it looks purdy good though.