Operation flashpoint 2, or Arma 2?

deadsmell

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising 2009E3 gameplay video looks super!

http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/video/operation-flashpoint-2.html#view:288082

looks to arcadey for me... but i haven't played it yet so I can't say much about it..

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Exactly, demo was played with cheats and helpers on.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising 2009E3 gameplay video looks super!

http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/video/operation-flashpoint-2.html#view:288082

This video is horrible, it is nothing like Operation Flashpoint at all. There is even an exploding barrel at 03:39 in the video.

They should have named the game "Action : USA vs China, fight for Skira Island !".

The main difference between easy and hard mode is the absence of the HUD and the one bullet kill, but it will still play arcadey.

Arma II looks superb though and the gameplay is excellent.

Will try ArmA2 demo and then justify, compare with OF2DR. I recall ArmA1 as mega-mess. same with OF1. I'm truly happy it is nothing like the bugged and barely controllable predecessors.

All games are just games in the end - they must be fun. What kind of story you have in ArmA2? It's BS story anyway, you can name it same way.

At the end I will play AA3.0 anyway ;)

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I'm sorry arcade games don't calculate individual bullet balistics and very accurate hit points, ofp has that among a ton of other simulation features. You simply cannot replicate real life soldier experience in a video game period at this point. You could complain arma 2 flight physics and avionics is totally arcade (because it is compared to black shark)

Judging a video played in easy mode in low rez in the alpha phase is a little premature I think.

CM stated they're balancing real world sim with overall gameplay. My point is it's to early for all the negativity (sim hq gave it a great wip review)

The genre that both Arma and OFP tackle is extinct without them, there's plenty of room for both games in my opinion.

I will buy arma for pc and ofp for xbox (currently glorified dust collector now.)

man it looks incredible, great vids.

Id really like to see an intense firefight between soldiers in an urban setting. (I know thats asking alot lol) but if you have a scenario that provides that, and you feel like sharing it, id be stoked.

Thanks again for all the goodies.

Dont let the smell get to ya...............

man it looks incredible, great vids.

Id really like to see an intense firefight between soldiers in an urban setting. (I know thats asking alot lol) but if you have a scenario that provides that, and you feel like sharing it, id be stoked.

Thanks again for all the goodies.

see if i can make a little fire fight vid up fo ya..

see if i can make a little fire fight vid up fo ya..

Awesome!!

jeez louise, I dont know if im ever even going to get any real play time with this game, its going to be hard not to just walk around and look at everything in awe. So far everything im seeing has completely surpassed all my expectations. Im way too excited now. lol and of course, I have to wait.........

Hey Diveplane, im curious, the water itself looks so good, what happens in rough weather? do those calm beautiful seas get rough at all? white caps, and windspray?

heres some links to some youtube vids I think are cool

the first couple minutes of this one are intense, and seems pretty damn authentic, then he gets kind of caught up trying to get everyone medical attention though. again though the first couple minutes are very cool on this one.

this ones pretty cool too.........

Edited by deadsmell

Dont let the smell get to ya...............

I just got ArmA 2 yesterday and I really had high hopes for this game, evident by my previous post, but so far I have to say that it’s not a great game, currently at least. I’ll explain what I mean later. But, it's basically ArmA with better graphics, albeit much, much better graphics. What bothers me the most is the AI which is just pretty awful. For example I’m playing a mission where I have to takeout a sniper that has another team pinned down and I didn’t have the greatest of angles on the sniper when I began to engage him so it took me a good 5 or 6 shots before I was finally able to kill him. That entire time I was shooting directly at him yet the sniper never moved an inch or even attempted to fire back at me, he just sat there and let me kill him.

The other bad thing about the AI is that they often operate solo instead of as squads or fire teams. Because of that you don’t get truly realistic and immersive firefights very often. It’s more like covering such huge terrain and engaging a random soldier or two as you move along. Which isn’t very intense and because of that you also don’t get to see the enemy using any good squad based tactics and makes the game feel too much like a DM. Your own AI can get pretty goofy at times as well, falling out of buildings and silly stuff like that.

The voice acting and comms are still bad too. The thing is though, the game really has so much potential, it just seems as if the missions don’t do the game any justice at all. With realistic conflicts, engagements, squad tactics present the game would really be a 10/10. But, right now it’s just not as realistic as it was cracked up to be, but I’m holding onto it hoping that some good mods and user created missions come out… We’ll see.. Or maybe the campaign and scenario mission get a lot better as you go along?? Hopefully someone further into the game can drop some good news in that regard.

Awesome!!

jeez louise, I dont know if im ever even going to get any real play time with this game, its going to be hard not to just walk around and look at everything in awe. So far everything im seeing has completely surpassed all my expectations. Im way too excited now. lol and of course, I have to wait.........

Hey Diveplane, im curious, the water itself looks so good, what happens in rough weather? do those calm beautiful seas get rough at all? white caps, and windspray?

heres some links to some youtube vids I think are cool

the first couple minutes of this one are intense, and seems pretty damn authentic, then he gets kind of caught up trying to get everyone medical attention though. again though the first couple minutes are very cool on this one.

this ones pretty cool too.........

Not sure if this has been posted already or not, but if you're in America you don't have to wait. You can purchase the German version then download this conversion patch that'll put everything in English. It's worth it if you're really looking forward to the game.

I just got ArmA 2 yesterday and I really had high hopes for this game, evident by my previous post, but so far I have to say that it’s not a great game, currently at least. I’ll explain what I mean later. But, it's basically ArmA with better graphics, albeit much, much better graphics. What bothers me the most is the AI which is just pretty awful. For example I’m playing a mission where I have to takeout a sniper that has another team pinned down and I didn’t have the greatest of angles on the sniper when I began to engage him so it took me a good 5 or 6 shots before I was finally able to kill him. That entire time I was shooting directly at him yet the sniper never moved an inch or even attempted to fire back at me, he just sat there and let me kill him.

The other bad thing about the AI is that they often operate solo instead of as squads or fire teams. Because of that you don’t get truly realistic and immersive firefights very often. It’s more like covering such huge terrain and engaging a random soldier or two as you move along. Which isn’t very intense and because of that you also don’t get to see the enemy using any good squad based tactics and makes the game feel too much like a DM. Your own AI can get pretty goofy at times as well, falling out of buildings and silly stuff like that.

The voice acting and comms are still bad too. The thing is though, the game really has so much potential, it just seems as if the missions don’t do the game any justice at all. With realistic conflicts, engagements, squad tactics present the game would really be a 10/10. But, right now it’s just not as realistic as it was cracked up to be, but I’m holding onto it hoping that some good mods and user created missions come out… We’ll see.. Or maybe the campaign and scenario mission get a lot better as you go along?? Hopefully someone further into the game can drop some good news in that regard.

you would need a super cray pc to run advanced ai alone.

the dev team is well aware of some slight issues on ai units. and is in the todo list.

you would need a super cray pc to run advanced ai alone.

the dev team is well aware of some slight issues on ai units. and is in the todo list.

Yep and that's understandable. I also play combat mission shock force (an amazingly realistic rts) and that game takes a good machine to run despite the small maps and poor graphics. Its all of the advanced ai that takes a lot to process. So I wouldn't expect that type of detail in arma, but they still could have made better use of teams and squads imo, that would have vastly improved the game. Very rarely if ever should I be engaging just one enemy unit in a given area.

Not sure if this has been posted already or not, but if you're in America you don't have to wait. You can purchase the German version then download this conversion patch that'll put everything in English. It's worth it if you're really looking forward to the game.

Can you post that link? I'd LOVE to play around with this this weekend and convert!!!!

Hopefully someone will make a mod to introduce natural weapon sway into OFP2. That rock steady console aiming is going to kill it imho lol!

Also, it's unkown at this point if OFP2 will have TrackIR or freelook capabilities due to the console nature of the game.

Still gonna by it tho. May be a midpoint between COD4/AA/Bf2 and ArmA2 :)

They'd be crazy not to incorporate it, I don't think CM would limit itself from the PC market just to satisfy the console people. I know they're incorporating the console aspect into it...but hopefully they can break that (pisses me off boundary) that console players are all 12 year old COD loving arcade freaks. OFP Elite was considered "realistic sim" it was just released too late as XBOX was on the way out for the 360.

Anyway hopefully they won't, tracker IR is...IMHO 60% of the game experience along with graphics, sound and controls.

At least you don't have to choose between both of them at the exact same time ;)