1.1 Copy Protection Update

Well, I'm very dissapointed to see that Eagle has chosen StarForce. As such, I will likely not be purchasing the add on.

I am opposed to any game company requiring registration, and the sending of private information in order to play the game, regardless of whether or not it is identifiable and won't be used except to register the game. I simply don't trust the system.

I am opposed to any system that requires me to install driver level code (beyond the required video/sound drivers). StarForce's track record has been spotty on this, and while it may have gotten better, the fact that these drivers hang around in your system even while you aren't running the game bothers the crap out of me.

I am opposed to any system that may, in the future, make it impossible for me to keep playing the game (i.e. only 3 registrations, potential for ED to stop supporting registrations, etc.).

I believe game makers do have the right to protect their intellectual property, and that whether we like it or not, copy protection will be a standard feature of games. Copy protection, by itself, I do not have a problem with. The extremely intrusive varients, such as StarForce, I do.

This is my opinion. I could care less what the flames that are sure to follow this post will say, so flame away, I won't be reading.

Thanks for listening.

"I love senseless pushing things!"

Visit the Virtual VFA-195

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm very dissapointed to see that Eagle has chosen StarForce. As such, I will likely not be purchasing the add on.

I am opposed to any game company requiring registration, and the sending of private information in order to play the game, regardless of whether or not it is identifiable and won't be used except to register the game. I simply don't trust the system.

I am opposed to any system that requires me to install driver level code (beyond the required video/sound drivers). StarForce's track record has been spotty on this, and while it may have gotten better, the fact that these drivers hang around in your system even while you aren't running the game bothers the crap out of me.

I am opposed to any system that may, in the future, make it impossible for me to keep playing the game (i.e. only 3 registrations, potential for ED to stop supporting registrations, etc.).

I believe game makers do have the right to protect their intellectual property, and that whether we like it or not, copy protection will be a standard feature of games. Copy protection, by itself, I do not have a problem with. The extremely intrusive varients, such as StarForce, I do.

This is my opinion. I could care less what the flames that are sure to follow this post will say, so flame away, I won't be reading.

Thanks for listening

AMEN man, AMEN.

Re: money

Hi , i wish all the money to ED they deserve it for their work but i think i'm not gonna buy this game.

Why????

I don't want to be persecuted because od buying an original game. I just want to put cd in and play.That's all i want.

I want to change my configuration of PC anytime i want and don't want to be annoyed by messages " Configuration changed, you cannot play this game. Contact ED"

For me, it's easier to tell you the lenght of my penis than be persecuted for what i 've paid for.

Nothing against ED.

Blame human nature for pirating . . . . . and then human nature for not wanting their hard work to be pirated. Don't blame ED for a logical judgement.

Hope you enjoy playing v1.02 :)

comeon guys! we have to support ED.. I felt soo bad the first time lockon came out and right on the same day I found it as a download online...:(... Starforce gives us hope for not allowing this to happen. I heard there are quite a few uncracked starforce games.

and you know what guys......windows itself is a piece of broken shit that always has some loops and backdoors that allow viruses to attack. even though the developers release updates...there is always a new virus that comes out...that doesn't mean a specific software DRIVER is responsible.

It is general human tendency to over exaggerate things.

Last time I changed the fan on my vid card...I kinda got a little tex corruption when I booted....now its ok....but still I feel that "the wire mesh in half life 2 shouldn't look like this with 6X AA" ...whereas official screenies say THEY DO. I still diss it that I shouldn't have changed the GPU sink...even though the new ati silencer is doing waay better cooling job.

Ed needs support guys. If we start forsaking their work just for the sake of a measly "PROOF that u bought the game" without even looking at the AMAZING job they have done with FC.

In my opiinion, every guy here (including myself) who respects ED and their work and is a true LOMAC fan shall NOT care about the Starforce thing since we shall all BUY the addon.

cheers.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

WHY does the starforce driver have to be present when you're not actually doing the copy protection check?

it is my understanding that it is going to interfere with a program i use on my PC (nero burning rom which shipped with my burner).

if i want to purchase this product to play it, i am going to have to use the starforce uninstaller to remove the starforce drivers and reboot to burn or access an image file.

am i mistaken?

does it do this to ALL cd image tools?

comeon guys! we have to support ED..

no we don't.

we have a choice. to buy or not to buy, and i am definitely not interested in installing a piece of software onto my system that will cause an unrelated piece of software to no longer work.

got to love the the same moonbat hystaria is flying around as always.

Yes ED needs to clarrify, but that means people should wait, not go on and on about how they won't pay. No one has said they have to yet. Guess what? It's Friday, sometime in the afternoon in Russia. I highly doubt anything will be said over the weekend. This thread should get interesting as the moonbat hystaria gets out of control.

________

juggalos

Edited by DayGlow

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

A soft is NOT a printer ink cartridge. I'm still using softs I bought years and years ago.

Has anyone thought about those who will decide not to buy FC because of the "40% limit"? And specialy those who will decide to use it without buying it? Gosh, Starforce protection WILL be succesfully viloated, and you know that.

As a citizen, and an honnest one, I always buy my softs. Because one of the most basic of Human Rights is anyone to be paid for his work. What I would like is LONG LIVE ED!

And what seems to have been decided looks like a suicide. I don't think I'll buy my bread in a drugstore protected by 25 SWAT men, 15 pitbulls and one or two machine gunners. Sorry guys, you won't force me to consider a sim as a time-limited soft. I change at least 40% of my hardware any year. I respect anybody's right, but I want anybody to respect mine. How many simmers will buy another licence after the 40% red line? Pffffff!!!!!

comeon guys! we have to support ED..

We don't HAVE to support anything. But I want to support ED.

I'll be getting a lot of good gameplay stuff and a chance to look forward to some cool stuff

But there are risks and it is an extra effort.

It's my own belief that ED will release another NO-CD Patch after 6 months have passed. And as for 3 or 4 years from now if ED disappeared - I would consider it my own abandon-ware to patch and play as I like. If they're still around I'll be playing their follow-up program with a CD.

ZoomBoy

My Flight Sims Page

- Link to My Blog - Sims and Things - DCS Stuff++

- Up-to-Speed Guides to the old Lockon A10A and Su-25T

- Some missions [needs update]

Yes ED needs to clarrify, but that means people should wait, not go on and on about how they won't pay. No one has said they have to yet. Guess what? It's Friday, sometime in the afternoon in Russia. I highly doubt anything will be said over the weekend. This thread should get interesting as the moonbat hystaria gets out of control.

Moonbat hysteria. LOL.

I'm constantly amazed at the creative names some people come up with whenever they want to be derogatory to those people discussing valid issues that they don't agree with.

Easier to be derogatory than to have an intelligent and relevant discussion on the topic.

THIS sort of stupid post is what makes threads become 'uncontrolled' - when people start being rude to others they don't agree with.

Grow up Aldega, or restrain yourself from childish posts.

Moonbat hysteria. LOL.

I'm constantly amazed at the creative names some people come up with whenever they want to be derogatory to those people discussing valid issues that they don't agree with.

Easier to be derogatory than to have an intelligent and relevant discussion on the topic.

THIS sort of stupid post is what makes threads become 'uncontrolled' - when people start being rude to others they don't agree with.

Pssst - that was DayGlow, not Aldega :wink:

And while the wording may have been inopportune, the meaning is perfectly valid - right now we don't know what's going on, and we won't get an answer just yet.

Wags says ED had the same problems with the StarForce idea that many of us did, but ended up satisfied. For more details, waiting is much more efficient than letting the rumours and hysteria continue.

Moonbat hysteria. LOL.

And while the wording may have been inopportune, the meaning is perfectly valid - right now we don't know what's going on, and we won't get an answer just yet.

Wags says ED had the same problems with the StarForce idea that many of us did, but ended up satisfied. For more details, waiting is much more efficient than letting the rumours and hysteria continue.

LOL sorry Aldega, I can't see how i could have mixed you two up.

• ED Team

Exactly. I've been compiling a list of questions and concerns and have been sending them to Eagle and Starforce. I hope to have some answers by early need next which I of course will pass along.

One item I did learn is that Eagle has increased the number of registrations from three to five. However, you will not have to re-register unless there has been a 40% or more change in your hardware. Until then, you can reinstall as many times as you like. You can also make many hardware changes without neededing to re-register. It's only when you make significant hardware changes that you will need to re-regesiter (again, you can do so up to five times) and perhaps more with proof of purchase.

Regarding end user information being sent to Starforce, all my reading it indicates that no system information is sent via internet. All hardware info is stored in the local machine and the activation check is also performed locally.

I realize this is all rather confusing, it is for me too, but please don't jump off the deep end until Eagle and Starforce have had a chance to address some of your questions.

Bests,

Matt

Moonbat hysteria. LOL.

Exactly. I've been compiling a list of questions and concerns and have been sending them to Eagle and Starforce. I hope to have some answers by early need next which I of course will pass along.

One item I did learn is that Eagle has increased the number of registrations from three to five. However, you will not have to re-register unless there has been a 40% or more change in your hardware. Until then, you can reinstall as many times as you like. You can also make many hardware changes without neededing to re-register. It's only when you make significant hardware changes that you will need to re-regesiter (again, you can do so up to five times) and perhaps more with proof of purchase.

Regarding end user information being sent to Starforce, all my reading it indicates that no system information is sent via internet. All hardware info is stored in the local machine and the activation check is also performed locally.

I realize this is all rather confusing, it is for me too, but please don't jump off the deep end until Eagle and Starforce have had a chance to address some of your questions.

Bests,

Matt

Moonbat hysteria. LOL.

class act, as always, thanks.

Never said anyone is a Moonbat, just the hystaria :P

Already we have people quoting other people that have made an unfounded obersvation and using it as facts to propel their comments. All we need now is the obligtory 'Starforce put a virus on my computer' comment and we will have a full circle 8)

________

full melt bubble hash

Edited by DayGlow

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Never said anyone is a Moonbat, just the hystaria :P

Already we have people quoting other people that have made an unfounded obersvation and using it as facts to propel their comments. All we need now is the obligtory 'Starforce put a virus on my computer' comment and we will have a full circle 8)

Nope, seen a reference to that one already . . . . . :?

Bests,

Matt

suits me. Thank you for keeping us up to date.

tell us something when you can.

Bests,

Matt

there u have it guys!

it probably says that WE NEED NOT RE-PURCHASE after 5 registrations as long as we have a proof of purchase.

I don' care who decides to support ED or not...But I AM SUPPORTING ED to implement this protection and I will BUY THE GAME...not cry in speculation that "Starforce has caused a virus to enter my computer...startforce has decreased my framerate by 0.01 fps :twisted: """ ...I fell down from my bed today....starforce must be responsible..... my computer shut down ...inspite of a power failure...starforce must be responsible. :twisted:

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Wags,

I image my OS so I don't have to keep re-activating with M$.

This way, I can do whatever I want and no matter what be back up and

running in as little as 20min.

These images DO NOT include games, just necessary apps and updated windows.

Since starforce is not in the image, what happens when other programs pooch my PC, and i reapply the image?

Make no mistake, I've actually reimaged my PC 3 times in a week testing something and then reinstalled whatever proggy's I wanted afterwards.

In this case I do think this will cause problems with ED's implementation of starforce. (example: due to the way Half-Life and steam went, after the 3rd time of reinstalling I no longer install or play it. It's too much of a hassle. And I'm quite sure I'm not the only one).

I run three Notes Domains globally, NT administration, and a host of other IT stuff, both from my home and work. So testing is necessary from time to time for myself and I can already foresee this getting in the way.

Shit, I even have a image with has no Video drivers, so when ATI puts out a major point release of the catalyst, I'm at a "clean" state.

What will ED do for people who are in my position?

thanks,

Thanks,

Brett