Radar Simulation Software

Re: Radar Simulation Software

I was browsing Biohazcentral and came across this link.

http://www.cambertx.com/RadarSimulationSoftware/

Swingkid and other radar gurus might want to take a look?

Cheers

Nice found...but how in the hell they can SIMULATE the JSF radar and the F/A-18

where they get the info...but it is preaty cool .....

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

AMD 3.8 X2 64 2G DDR ATI X1800XT 512

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

• ED Team

I think they used fair physics techniques for real modeling.

This way that is fair physics simulation is unacceptable for PC avia simulators in the present tense therefore it required more CPU resources. In the general case for PC games the overwhelming majority PC resources go on the graphics and about 10-50% go on the AI, physic, behavior etc. tasks. If developers would implement the only one radar in the game which will be take away about 50% of resources, it is not the right way I think.

:roll:

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

....?

WHY does the radar need to be 100% accurate for the purposes of a game? As long as it is accurate relative to the other systems in the game and it's balanced isn't that enough?

I'm not saying it needs to be Arcadey..but...why does it need to be 100% accurate like a million dollar stand alone simulator?

Are people really that concerned over the nitty gritty avionics? Would they be willing to go back to Flat Shaded models so that more processor time is available to do that sort of modelling?

• ED Team

I have not told that it is a necessary thing for a PC flight simulator. Just we are not going to simulate radar in that way.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

I think they used fair physics techniques for real modeling.

This way that is fair physics simulation is unacceptable for PC avia simulators in the present tense therefore it required more CPU resources. In the general case for PC games the overwhelming majority PC resources go on the graphics and about 10-50% go on the AI, physic, behavior etc. tasks. If developers would implement the only one radar in the game which will be take away about 50% of resources, it is not the right way I think.

:roll:

Who would have known that the answer is just on it´s way ? Take a look at this: http://forum.lockon.ru/viewtopic.php?p=47586#47586

The Physics chip?

Well...I suppose it could be used...well..how WOULD a Physics Processing Unit be used in a Flight Sim. Let's specifically take Lock On.

I don't see Tanks and ground vehicles getting 'rag doll' physics or anything like that..I don't see the point.

Could a PPU be used to simulate things like AirFlow over the wings and calculate the resultant lift? Or are these purely mathematical calculations that a CPU's FPU would need to handle?

The article did mention specifically games such as Half Life 2 and Unreal 3 engines that simulate static physical objects such as crates, barrels, walls etc. THey alluded to a rocket blast off a wall causing the wall to accurately deform in real time and throw off fragments etc. as well as over 30,000 physically calculated objects in a scene at once instead of the three to five things we have currently.

I guess it would take someone with some experience on how the Plane Flight Models are programmed to say whether a PPU can help take the load off the processor, leaving more main CPU Cycles to spend on AI and Radar modelling.

A CPU is a general work type unit, in terms of math. The Physics chip would be optimized to possibly handle such interesting operations as integration or differentiation much faster than the CPU could, so in essence, faster vector calculus which is what you want here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

WHY does the radar need to be 100% accurate for the purposes of a game? As long as it is accurate relative to the other systems in the game and it's balanced isn't that enough?

I'm not saying it needs to be Arcadey..but...why does it need to be 100% accurate like a million dollar stand alone simulator?

IMHO the depth of realism to the radar and weapon systems is one of the best parts of the game. The more detailed modeled the better. I miss the old Andy Hollis Jane's sims for this. The way the radar beams/reflections were actually modeled in the virtual theatre just made the instruments feel so much more real than what we have in LOMAC.

The radar in LOMAC just feels too simplified, too scripted, and too easy. The high, medium, and interleaved radar pulse frequencies we're getting in 1.1 is a good start though.

If the type of radar detail in the radar simulation software mentioned above could be brought to bear in LOMAC and implemented well, I'd be a very happy man.

Given how the programming resources are distributed, it is not at all likely to happen though...

Play Hard - Play Fair

Squadron Leader "DedCat"

169th Panthers - http://www.169thpanthers.net