Mission editor and formation take off

I thought I'd try some formation flying with the nice new FM, so I changed the

SU25 mission to take off and land at two adjacent fields.

I could not figure out how to make myself No 2: the 'player' seems only to

be available for jet 1.

OK, so I'll just add another flight. I started him 10 secs ahead on me. No go.

Tried a ramp start: I dont spawn until the first flight has his wheels up!

All I wanted to do was a nice formation roll! Is this impossible? Or am I missing something very obvious since it is 02:00 in the morning?

Mike

Hi Mike,

You should not make two seperate flights, but instead make one flight with two pilots - if you keep to the left when landing, both you and your wingman can land simultaneously :)

If you meant flying as wingman for an AI leader, I am afraid that isnt possible.

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

If you meant flying as wingman for an AI leader, I am afraid that isnt possible.

Yes, that is what I meant. Is is also not possible to simulate that by starting another flight a few seconds ahead of mine? It seems that the airport is only big enough for a single flight :)

How to fy as #2

You can do this and its an interesting challenge!

The editor insists you fly as lead but you can jump to the wingman on the runway.

As soon as you start rolling in #1 hit F2 to display external view and again to display your wingman.

Then Alt-J to take control.

If you are quick enough you will keep up with lead - make sure throttle control is active and at max.

The trick now is to match your speed against lead - he makes some pretty dramatic changes!

Not yet tried this with 1.1 but should work.

Cheers,

Keith

Re: How to fy as #2

The editor insists you fly as lead but you can jump to the wingman on the runway.

If you do a ramp start, then let your w/man go past you can take off after him. If you then try to form up behind him you get into a bizarre 'turn fight' each trying to form up behind the other. Can anyone beat the wingman at this game and stay glued to his 5 O'Clock? I can't!

As soon as you start rolling in #1 hit F2 to display external view and again to display your wingman.

Then Alt-J to take control.Not yet tried this with 1.1 but should work.

This works fine in the full game but I cannot get it to work in the demo. Is alt-j supposed to work in 1.1D?

If you are quick enough you will keep up with lead - make sure throttle control is active and at max.

The trick now is to match your speed against lead - he makes some pretty dramatic changes!

Very hard to match his maneuvres, especially the way he can shed speed. I overshoot very easily and then lose sight with the rather restricted vis of the 25's pit. Reinforces to me just how awesome the Tigrou videos are!

The w/man logic does cheat, mind you: telepathic communication. If you drive from external view :oops: he responds exactly synchronously with your stick inputs.

Mike

Alt-J does work in 1.1demo, but the mission has to allow it.

**EDIT**

I have two sample missions that work, posted on my Lomac page at

http://members.lycos.co.uk/keithb77/

The problem with 1.1 is that when you jump into the cockpit with Alt-J you damage the nosewheel (you can see the bounce) and it wont retract on take off!

I think the nosewheel is too delicate!

With 1.02 you can even start in a HAS.

This sort of works in 1.1 but again the nosewheel is damaged and you cant steer!

So for 1.1 I've made a variant where you start in the air , just after take-off.

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this issue?

Cheers,

Keith

Re: Mission editor and formation take off

I thought I'd try some formation flying with the nice new FM, so I changed the

SU25 mission to take off and land at two adjacent fields.

I could not figure out how to make myself No 2: the 'player' seems only to

be available for jet 1.

OK, so I'll just add another flight. I started him 10 secs ahead on me. No go.

Tried a ramp start: I dont spawn until the first flight has his wheels up!

All I wanted to do was a nice formation roll! Is this impossible? Or am I missing something very obvious since it is 02:00 in the morning?

Mike

I have just the same frustration, then you should like my suggestion:here

Hi-fly,

have you tried flying your manouvres as #1 in a two-ship mission, saving it as a track and re-flying using Alt-J to fly as #2.

Never tried saving tracks so I'm not sure how closely the replay matches the original......

Cheers,

Keith

Nope, didn't work - the AI lead does fly your aerobatics quite happily, until you take control and then he reverts to the flight plan.

Back to the drawing board!

Is there anyway to switch views without taking control of the track?

IL2 had the option, cant find it in LOMAC.

Cheers,

Keith