Wingmen and multi-monitor comms

javlar

Hi!

I've been following BS since it was announced, checking the site about two-three times a month, waiting and wishing. Then I go for a long ski-holiday in early December and return home now to find the BS has been out for a good while! I was furious and giggling like a child at the same time ;)

So I've played it now for a good two days, the first consisting mostly of setting up multi-monitor, updating TrackIR, getting used to the heli's systems and so on.

Now the second day has been a blast, started the campaign and it's just awesome. So first I'd like to say a BIG thanks to ED for keeping true to themselves and releasing a finished (well mostly, a lot more finished than 90% of the other PC-games being released), bugfree game.

I have had a few small issues though which I thought id see if I could get an answer to. First of all, when I use multi-monitor (Shkval, ABRIS on left monitor) I no longer see the communication menu nor subtitles for the russian spoken during the missions. Anything I can do about that?

The second problem I've encountered, actually four times now, is that my wingmen are retards. I could live with them taking stupid decisions like flying over a hotzone and getting shot down but the problem is that they keep crashing into ME. It really isnt funny when you've flown for a good 20-30 minutes to get to a target-area, you're setting yourself up in a good firing position and then you hear something resembling small arms fire hitting your chopper, pause the game, look outside and see that your wingman has chopped your rotorblades off by going straight down on your chopper from above :cry:

Wingmen behaviour overall seem very different, in LOMAC they basically just copied your behaviour exactly until you ordered them somewhere else. In BS they are flying all over the place trying to catch up with or slow down to reach you.

For a while I was cursing my wingmen for clipping me. Then I realised it was because of the way I was manoeuvring. High rpm plus sharp turns at high speed was causing the rotors to intersect and destroy themselves. Maybe this is what is happening to you?

I cant help with your monitor setup, I haven't had great success with it myself.

No I've checked the tracks afterwards to make sure and it is the wingmen who hate me ;)

And I am using the arcade flight model atm until im used to all the controls and systems and I dont think the rotors can intersect in that flight model.

Hi...My wingman has hit me once. And i was performing some interesting manoeuvres, basically i was out of control. Maybe you are flying too violently?

I also use multi monitor setup.. and by having the Abris & Shkval on the 'right' i am also able to see the Comms Menu.. as it shows on my right monitor.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Yeah, wingmen will often want to fly in a pretty tight formation with you (this you can change tho, just call them into a different formation), and sharp maneuvers can put you someplace they didn't anticipate and won't have time to react to. I find the danger is greatest if you are maneuvering while they are on a rejoin order (either an explicit one from you or due to having finished the task assigned to them).

I've one had one real foxtour with them tho (was on the other side of that other side mission in Deployment, DOH! :P ), but a couple of close calls. Eventually you learn to keep an eye on them without really thinking about it and modify your behaviour to make life slightly easier for the poor suckers.

I would also expect (but have no real evidence for) that their skill levels determines a lot of their ability to fly safe formations in combat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

May I ask please, not to use the word "retards". It is very demeaning. My wife takes care of mentally challenged people for a living. They are wonderful people who live with a disability. They are extremely kind, happy, and very thankful of things that we may take for granted. I am not trying to rant on anyone about this. All I ask is that we all be more considerate of people with disabilities. Thank you.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SOUP55:matrix:

May I ask please, not to use the word "retards". It is very demeaning. My wife takes care of mentally challenged people for a living. They are wonderful people who live with a disability. They are extremely kind, happy, and very thankful of things that we may take for granted. I am not trying to rant on anyone about this. All I ask is that we all be more considerate of people with disabilities. Thank you.

I agree but I think the proper place to focus your efforts is in a local elementary school. I doubt that people on a forum will take you seriously.

I usually order them into a loose formation before giving any order that will have them return to the formation afterwards while I'm busy. Don't know if it really helps but I've never had them crash into me, only into eachother :P

Great suggestion Sulan. I usually do the same to avoid air collisions.

I have had a few small issues though which I thought id see if I could get an answer to. First of all, when I use multi-monitor (Shkval, ABRIS on left monitor) I no longer see the communication menu nor subtitles for the russian spoken during the missions. Anything I can do about that?

Are you running Vista or XP with fullscreen? With XP fullscreen and your screen order you should see the comms menu on the "main" screen but the comms text will be mixed up in the ABRIS. You can recover that by moving your ABRIS down the screen a bit (the Shkval's not a prob as it's not cluttered).

Disclaimer: I don't run Vista so I'm not certain about the following.

If you're running Vista with the "phantom screen" to get it to work then I think you'll have to wait for ED to fix it in a patch as the comms are on the opposite sides of the virtual screen (putting one of them off your monitors). The only thing you can do for now is make a decision about which bit of the text is more important to you (menu (RHS) or response(LHS) ) and place your 2nd monitor on that side.

ED really needs to fix this - all comms should be overlayed on Camera1, not the LHS and RHS of the virtual screen. I don't know why they made this work for triple screens which few people will have, and not for dual head cards which almost everyone will have.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Australian Air Force

No matter how kind and happy they are I would not want one of them flying a KA-50 as my wingman ;)

But point taken and I meant nothing by it.

Are you running Vista or XP with fullscreen? With XP fullscreen and your screen order you should see the comms menu on the "main" screen but the comms text will be mixed up in the ABRIS. You can recover that by moving your ABRIS down the screen a bit (the Shkval's not a prob as it's not cluttered).

Disclaimer: I don't run Vista so I'm not certain about the following.

If you're running Vista with the "phantom screen" to get it to work then I think you'll have to wait for ED to fix it in a patch as the comms are on the opposite sides of the virtual screen (putting one of them off your monitors). The only thing you can do for now is make a decision about which bit of the text is more important to you (menu (RHS) or response(LHS) ) and place your 2nd monitor on that side.

ED really needs to fix this - all comms should be overlayed on Camera1, not the LHS and RHS of the virtual screen. I don't know why they made this work for triple screens which few people will have, and not for dual head cards which almost everyone will have.

I am running on Vista and am currently not using a phantomscreen. When I position my main screen to the right I dont have to for some reason. When i sat it all up and read the how-to's it just says that you will have a phantomscreen but I've found that I only get a phantomscreen if I have the the mainscreen to the left.

But anyways, could someone post the comms tree? Until this is sorted, I mean as long as I know which key says what I dont HAVE to see the menu.