Full Screen Problem :*(

Washer UK

Oooh that makes sence... Thanks

I read Dragons post about the screen being 4:3 resolution and removed the background images from the options screen, it still dosnt work but it makes it easyer to find the options, just carnt read them lol

Q6600 3.2Ghz, 4G DDR2 1066, ATI 4870, x52, TrackIR 4, Vista 64

Well I've just checked the menu vs the in game graphics on my screen and there is no change to refresh rate or resolution/mode at all. In fact the monitor didn't switch at all because the monitor menu didn't switch off (which it does if you switch refresh or resolution) as the game ran up from Windows to Menu and from Menu to game . So... your problem is really odd!

Suggest rather than removing the menu background you temporarily increase the width (if you can) to widescreen 16:9 from 4:3. Doubt this will work but you never know :)

Are you running the game at the same resolution/refresh as your desktop? If not, suggest you try that although I'm begining to run out of ideas!

• Like 1

Would be nice to have someone real savvy with the ATI cards comment, just in case it's something with how the graphics card handles things that specifically might conflict.

As for why it would conflict with such a screen and specifically in only this game I wouldn't have the foggiest...

One other thing tho - Washer, have you tried running windows without the Aero skinning on? It caused issues with TrackIR for me and even though I can't understand how it would cause issues like this I was equally dumbfounded to explain how it would do that to TrackIR either... :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Hi

Thanks again,

My on screen display on my tv says 1080i/60 when on desktop or any other game including this sim, my refresh rate in Ati CCC is 30i if I force 60hz I get the same problem with windows as im having with the menu screen.

When I go into Start menu/system info the display tab says 1920x1080x59hz

And right click desktop properties says 1920x1080x30hz interlaced.... How confusing!!

I forced a windowed resolution for DCS at 1910x1070 which almost fills the screen but when I do a tutorial and the guy is clicking things in the cockpit if he clicks near the bottom of the screen he selects all my quicklaunch icons :helpsmilie:

Just carnt understand why the game works but not the menu screen. Its like the menu screen is running progressive scan and the game interlaced??

Well, seems like some more evidence that the problem might be in launcher.exe, which even in a worst-case scenario of no solution to be found is pretty good - because then it should be easier to fix, since that is a much smaller application and therefore easier for ED to debug.

Most awesome would be if someone more would manage to find a way to replicate the error in a normally "healthy" system. I'm going to try doing that with my laptop later tonight or tomorrow since I do have a plasma that I can hook it up to via HDMI. (Though obviously a plasma isn't an LCD-TV and my LG isn't a Sony but worth a shot.)

Just hang in there for a while, I know how frustrating that stuff can be, but the game is worth a bit of trouble to get running. One of these days you'll be flamewarring with the rest of us about the lack of a Radar Warning Receiver. :D

EDIT: Hahah, don't worry about the TrackIR, it is really easy to set up. Just remember that if you do run into issues with it, try disabling Aero since me and at least one more had it crash on us on Vista64 and solved it the same way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Hey dont go beaking your laptop :(

I did manage to get a quick flight in but i couldnt manage to figure the weapons system out when a came across a tank convoy shooting at me but I did manage to crash into one of them :D

Just a quick note on your LG, is it a 1080p set? If so I tried my comp on our main set in the front room and it worked :) problem is the missus isnt keen on switching the tv's round but theres one fix hehe.

Thanks for all your time and effort people, looking forward to learning this ka-50

Regards

Paul

Hi

Thanks again,

My on screen display on my tv says 1080i/60 when on desktop or any other game including this sim, my refresh rate in Ati CCC is 30i if I force 60hz I get the same problem with windows as im having with the menu screen.

When I go into Start menu/system info the display tab says 1920x1080x59hz

And right click desktop properties says 1920x1080x30hz interlaced.... How confusing!!

I forced a windowed resolution for DCS at 1910x1070 which almost fills the screen but when I do a tutorial and the guy is clicking things in the cockpit if he clicks near the bottom of the screen he selects all my quicklaunch icons :helpsmilie:

Just carnt understand why the game works but not the menu screen. Its like the menu screen is running progressive scan and the game interlaced??

I think! running at 1080i/30 means that you are refreshing the screen every 60th of a second with half the screen information and every 60th of a second with the other half.. So I suppose the true refresh rate is 30.

The weird part is that the game 3D section works but the menu doesn't. I don't understand this because, for me, there is no change from one to the other.

From what you say.. It sounds like the menu screen is trying to run at a full 60hz. The game itself seems to then switch modes to (probably) 30hz. The problem is is that the game itself doesn't have a setting for refresh rate and I would assume relies on Windows to supply the correct monitor information. I don't have an ATI card here so I can't check but is it possible for you to remove non-working modes in the CCC (such as 1080i 60hz)? Maybe the menu part of the game is getting bad info from windows...?

Hahah, don't worry man, if my laptop breaks I do have another one and I would have a good reason to go buy another one. :P Not that it should tho, and I am getting really really curious about this problem and want to figure out what the heck is happening, and a good way to do that is to replicate it. :)

Also, DragonRR, do you know if there is a way to check if DCS.exe and launcher.exe use different graphics APIs?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

In windows the box is checked saying "hide modes monitor dosnt support" checked through CCC at the resolutions in there and there dosnt appear to be any out of the ordinary ones in there, 1080i 30hz and 720p 60hz in the LCD support.

Ive found the menu does actually work but its forcing my tv to go into 480p resolution for some reason!

I thought id found a work around, I made the Launcher.exe run at 840x640 or whatever the option was and the menu ran, didnt quite fit on screen mind, the the game ran in 1920x1080 but as soon as you end mission it goes straight back to its old tricks :doh:

Yeah, basically it seems to reset itself.

A possible workaround if you happen to be good with code, bash or AutoIt or things like that would be to have a script running that checks that file continually and sets it back where you want it if changed, since I believe the game files do change it "back" so to speak because it wants to have DCS.exe and launcher.exe running the same resolution.

I wouldn't be able to code something like that sadly though, since my coding skills are about on the level of making my QBASIC text adventure game crash because the 512MB RAM machine ran out of memory... XD

(I forgot to end the subroutines...)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

You can try it, since 30 FPS is quite allright ingame anyhow. (It's somewhere around 25 that a normal human eye normally needs to be unable to perceive the "stills", which is why 25ish is normal for movies.)

I don't think it "should" work though, but then again I don't quite understand the mechanics of the problem either. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

You and me both man. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Also, DragonRR, do you know if there is a way to check if DCS.exe and launcher.exe use different graphics APIs?

I am VERY unsure about how to check for that. I guess you could run process monitor (sysinternals). You could look at the files both processes load and hazard a guess but I doubt it would help a great deal. Obviously both processes (dcs & Launcher) make calls to directx (probably) to intialise the screen. It "looks" like the launcher somehow reads the returned data differently and doesn't work properly with Washer's setup. I suspect we need a dev to fix this one.

@ Washer, workaround. Using Blue Peter techniques... Grab empty cereal boxes, paint in appropriate colour to match other TV, fit around Sony, masking as required to match newer telly, wait for g/f to go out, swap TVs. She'll never notice, if she does... simply deny, deny, deny. :thumbup:

Edit.. Oh and mention that her hair looks very nice every time you suspect she's on to something. Works wonders with my missus anyway :)

Edited by DragonRR

Another tip - whenever she is close to noticing what has happened, bring forth your newly acquired stock of chocolates. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Just to let you helpfull chaps know the menu works in the multiplayer version!!!

Im going to try reinstalling...

Hmm. MP doesn't run the Launcher.exe it runs DCS.exe --net gui. It does look like the launcher.exe is using windows monitor information a little differently, causing you this issue (maybe!).

Have you tried forcing launcher.exe to run at 640x480 (properties) and/or disable themes and/or run in XP mode.. etc.?

Hi

Yes I tried the 640x480 mode and thought i'd cracked it, not all the info fitted on screen but it worked at least. Only problem is as soon as you finnish a mission (in my case crash! ) it goes straight back to its tricks :(

Yeah, I've analysed the settings files when running it, and basically the simulator executable sets the settings back to the settings that it's using, which get loaded by launcher.exe when DCS.exe ceases.

Which is a bit confusing, since there IS that other file with separate settings for all of it, but I haven't figured how what it is that I don't understand about it. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

That is really really strange. Do you have a standard VGA cable or something like that that you can try connecting it with, see if that gives a different result?

Washer.. There's a possibility your problems might go away if you get a VGA cable. I would suggest nipping to a friendly PC shop and asking them if you can buy one for a modest sum (if the shop has been around awhile they should have loads which have been unwanted or left behind). Obviously it might make no difference so don't spend much! (You could probably get one on Ebay for next to nothing) Just a suggestion. :)