To all Russian speakers - Pronunciation help please?

DTWD

Afternoon all,

I was wondering if we had any Russian language speakers in here, and if so could you help me with the pronunciation of the words listed below?

For instance I am after this kind of thing: Lady - Pronounced - "Lay-de".

This is part 1 of upto probably about 12 parts that will be most likely along the same lines as this. I can't offer you anything other than my thanks and maybe a little credit :D

Sukhumi

Ust-Dzheguta

Tereze

Kislovodsk-Zapadniy

Krasniy Kurgan

Kislovodsk

Essentuki

Kuban

Sukumi

Stavropolskiy

Dzheguta

Novaya Dzheguta

El’tarkach

Krasnovostochniy

Pastbishniy

Mt. Elbrus

Dzhaochagan

Kuma

Kizil-Pokun

Pervomayskoe

Bourgustan

Podmutok

Torba

Pervomajsk

Uchkenen

Mt. Rim

DzhagaUchkenen

Ayra

Lermontov

Mirniy

Mt. Kaban

Narzan

Kisliy Kolodets

Podmutka

Min. Vody – Kislovodsk

Pomutok

Mt. Beshtau

Mt. Mashtuk,

Pyatigorsk

Mt. Zheleznaya

Mt. Zmeyka

Mineralnie Vodi

Mt. Verbljud

Beliy Ugol

Bugunta

Borgustanskaya

Bekeshevskaya

Darya

Kubanskoe

Maloe

Schastlivoe

Cherkessk

Edited by DTWD

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sadly, most of those words are already spelled as phonetically as you can get without using Cyrillic characters.

The only help I can offer is that, for the most part, the letters in those spellings are pronounced like Spanish letters in the pronunciation of the word, that is:

i = ee (or "hard e", in English)

o = oh (or "hard o", in English)

u = oo (or "hard u", in English)

e = "yay" (if stressed), otherwise "ay"

a = ah (or "soft a", in English)

Consonants in those spellings are pronounced the same a English and the oddball characters that Russian has (й, ь, ы, and to a slightly lesser extent ъ, and щ) are practically impossible to convey through a written, online discussion. At least I can't think of how to describe them in words.

I will exemplify this with the note that in those spellings, the apostrophe " ' " represents the Russian soft sign (ь) which gives a "soft" pronunciation to preceding consonants. This is a really tricky part of the language because native English speakers don't hear a difference between soft and hard consonants but it can change the meaning of words entirely.

(I should probably add that I am not a native speaker, so anyone who has more expertise than me should chime in if I made a mistake above)

Also:

Min. Vody is an abbreviation for "MinerAlnie VOdi" (I've capitalized the stress on the proper syllables, I think); it's duplicated on your list.

Edited by P5138

I can't help AT ALL with how to pronounce any of the words you've listed.. however if it is as difficult as P5138 mentions then I would suggest you ask a native Russian to record the words for you.

Pah, is that the attitude that won us the war...I think not!:pilotfly::D

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.. Sukhumi is going to be a fun one isn't it

Yes...I thought you might have picked up on that one! :helpsmilie::megalol:

I suppose, I mean the KA-50 is being built on a budget..."we are currently passing over...sqshqush garbeled zzzzccccraaaccckkkle...a nice place to live"

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pah, is that the attitude that won us the war...I think not!:pilotfly::D

Speak to a Russian and most likely they will say that Russia won the war and the other allies just distracted the Germans while they did all the hard work.

I wanted to also add that it isn't terribly difficult to learn the Russian alphabet and phonetics proper, it would take a week, at most. I'm just saying that even after 3 years of being in university-level Russian I still can't pronounce things correctly much of the time.

Also, with the Russian pronunciations, if you have a copy of the Russian version and go into the tower sounds directory, you'll find a few of those places read out by native speakers. (Along with a bunch of other basic words...)

Edited by P5138

On a more serious note....

Have you asked ED if they are doing the subtitle to spoken word work themselves? There's a lot of work here!

I have, and they aren't. They basically said that most of the work like this get's done by modders...I suppose it's cheaper :D

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Afternoon all,

I was wondering if we had any Russian language speakers in here, and if so could you help me with the pronunciation of the words listed below?

This is part 1 of upto probably about 12 parts that will be most likely along the same lines as this. I can't offer you anything other than my thanks and maybe a little credit :D

Sukhumi

Ust-Dzheguta

Tereze

Kislovodsk-Zapadniy

Krasniy Kurgan

Kislovodsk

Essentuki

Kuban

Sukumi

Stavropolskiy

Dzheguta

Novaya Dzheguta

El’tarkach

Krasnovostochniy

Pastbishniy

Mt. Elbrus

Dzhaochagan

Kuma

Kizil-Pokun

Pervomayskoe

Bourgustan

Podmutok

Torba

Pervomajsk

Uchkenen

Mt. Rim

DzhagaUchkenen

Ayra

Lermontov

Mirniy

Mt. Kaban

Narzan

Kisliy Kolodets

Podmutka

Min. Vody – Kislovodsk

Pomutok

Mt. Beshtau

Mt. Mashtuk,

Pyatigorsk

Mt. Zheleznaya

Mt. Zmeyka

Mineralnie Vodi

Mt. Verbljud

Beliy Ugol

Bugunta

Borgustanskaya

Bekeshevskaya

Darya

Kubanskoe

Maloe

Schastlivoe

Cherkessk

What for is this work intended?

picture.php?albumid=243&pictureid=1732

Speak to a Russian and most likely they will say that Russia won the war and the other allies just distracted the Germans while they did all the hard work.

I wanted to also add that it isn't terribly difficult to learn the Russian alphabet and phonetics proper, it would take a week, at most. I'm just saying that even after 3 years of being in university-level Russian I still can't pronounce things correctly much of the time.

Also, with the Russian pronunciations, if you have a copy of the Russian version and go into the tower sounds directory, you'll find a few of those places read out by native speakers. (Along with a bunch of other basic words...)

Ah yes, good idea! I have already found that directory and had been searching for sentences to get a feel for the influxes in the voices, I never thought about listening to the names. I have listened to the VO from the missions and they are difficult to follow and pick out the words I want.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ulrich,

I will be PMing you, I hope this is ok.

Also I get the impression from other threads that it was a time constraint that caused the English version to have the Russian speech and I am now wondering if it will be translated in the patch?

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.blogdex.ru/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/hq.jpg ;)

Afternoon all,

This is part 1 of upto probably about 12 parts that will be most likely along the same lines as this. I can't offer you anything other than my thanks and maybe a little credit

Will MP3 audio with pronouncation examples suit?..

As was already said, most of names are already "phonetized" versions, but I'll try to help.

(o', u' - stressed vowel, t', n', k' - "smooth" consonant like in japanese "-tan")

Sukhu'mi - "kh" is pronounced like "h" in "habit"

Ust'-Dzhegu'ta

Tere'ze

Kislovo'dsk-Za'padniy

Kra'sniy Kurga'n

Kislovo'dsk

Essentuki'

Kuba'n'

Suku'mi (doubles?..)

Stavropo'lskiy (Kra'i)

Dzhegu'ta

No'vaya Dzheguta

El’tarkach - El'tarka'n really

Krasnovosto'chniy

Pastbishniy - "sh" here is more like "sch", "heavy" hissing consonant

Mt. Elbrus - Gora (=mountain) El'bru's

Dzha'ochagan ???

Kuma'

Kizil-Pokun - difficult one, will left for audio.

Pervoma'yskoe

Bourgusta'n - boorgoostan, both "u" are short

Podmutok ??? Maybe Podku'mok ("under Kuma", the river)

To'rba

Pervoma'jsk - Another variant is "Pervomaisk", the truth is out there somewhere in between.

Uchkeke'n

Mt. Rim

Dzhaga'-Uchkeke'n

Ayra - Ai'-ra

Le'rmontov

Mi'rniy

Mt. Kaba'n

Narza'n

Ki'sliy Kolo'dets

Min. Vo'dy – Kislovo'dsk

Pomutok ???

Mt. Beshta'u - Like "Tau" from WH40,000

Mt. Mashtu'k

P'yatigo'rsk

Mt. Zhele'znaya

Mt. Zme'yka - "zmey" is read like "hey", then "ka"

Minera'lnie Vo'di

Mt. Ve'rbljud - Ver-bl'ud

Be'liy U'gol

Bugu'nta

Borgusta'nskaya

Bekeshe'vskaya

Da'rya

Kuba'nskoe

Malo'e

Schastli'voe

Cherke'ssk

Edited by DarkWanderer

You want the best? Here i am...

DTWD, if you have russian text, you can listen it in russian speach by using this http://free-translator.imtranslator.net/speech.asp

Many thanks, sadly it's just the odd word I need the help with and to be honest they all sound like they are being read by a computer (as they are) and they just sound wrong, even to emulate myself.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]