considering my first wide screen

Squid

And i am curious how LO (and BS) both simulatiion part and their GUI behaves in wide aspect ratios and (the GUI) the high resolutions (compared to my 1280x960 max of my 19" CRT) : are there distortions, squezes, bitmap scaling pixelations, distorted fonts etc ?

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

At 1680 x 1050, The UI might look a -little- stretched, but it isn't horrible and totally useable, even the mission editor. For the sim, you'll have to manually set the resolution in a config file as well as the aspect ratio. Once these are set, the sim runs perfectly fine widescreen and looks good.

thanks :) any info more on the config part maybe ? :) does that apply for FC 1.12a/b as well?

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

i just found out that some monitors have a monitor controlled feature of showing in 4:3 aspect (leaving black left and right bands) , that's something at least, in worst case scenario of total wide aspect ratio incompatibility or intolerable distortions.

What file do i modify and what lines do i add where? Is the config mod applies to both LO and FC? or needed only for LO ?

You will not need to apply borders and run at 4:3 for FC. The file is called graphics.cfg in the LockON\Config directory edit with text editor (Notepad) or go get the Lock On configuration tool from lockonfiles.com and use that (filename: LOCFGSetup_beta3.rar).

With FC you only need to edit the aspect ratio for the widescreen resolutions. You can select the actual resolutions in game no problem. Also note that if you enter the options panel in game after editing the aspect ratio it will revert to 1.333 default 4:3 unless you write protect the file after editing.

Not sure about 1.02 but in Black Shark there is no need as it handles wide aspect ratios and resolutions with out the need to manually edit anything.

}

DisplayMode

{

resolution = {1680, 1050};

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

Interface

{

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

Simulation

{

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

AVI

{

resolution = {640, 480};

fullscreen = 0;

aspect = 1.3333;

}

Edited by PoleCat

Thank you :) i already found the file in the meanwhile and once there it was obvious what has to be typed :) The thing is that it doesn't change anything for the GUI (GUI is distorted) although it works fine with the simulation. So far at least , from my experimentation with various combinations of .cfg settings and nvidia control panel aspect ratios handling

I must say widescreen in Lo is very good. Cool view! Except menu which is ugly... but we're most time playing than watching menu :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

plus it also needs new high resolution textures :)

• 1 month later...

Since we are on the topic. Should aspect ratio be set according to monitor and not resolution? I have an 22" monitor which means it has an aspect ratio of 1.6, but I have to play in a lower resolution than the native 1600x1050(1.6). So pick the resolution closest to a 1.6, that I guess usually means 1.33, and then set aspect ratio 1.6 afterwards?

Like in Black Shark I found that 1280x960 work ok for me. The game automatically set's 4:3 I think it was. I guess I should then select 16:10 since that's wat suits my monitor?

Good luck with it...I've tried so many times to get Lo to stop stretching on my new ASUS 24" monitor by editing the graphics.cfg file. It saves the settings but when I launch Lo it reverts back to 1024 everytime with horrible stretching. My rez is 1920X1080 so I've typed in 1.777777, 1920, 1080, etc...I'm really getting depressed over this whole thing.

I may try the Cat 8.3 next as I'm using 8.12 now. The only thing I can think of now if that doesn't work is trying the HDMI input with an adapter. I'm not sure how that's gonna work as my video cards (X1950XTX) are getting long in the tooth. If anyone has any ideas that could :helpsmilie: I'm wide-open to suggestions.

Good luck with it...I've tried so many times to get Lo to stop stretching on my new ASUS 24" monitor by editing the graphics.cfg file. It saves the settings but when I launch Lo it reverts back to 1024 everytime with horrible stretching. My rez is 1920X1080 so I've typed in 1.777777, 1920, 1080, etc...I'm really getting depressed over this whole thing......

Does your Monitor not support 1920x1200, Ratio 1.6? Also ensure that your graphics.cfg file's attributes are not 'Read Only', in which case changes will not be saved.

Edited by 159th_Viper

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Does your Monitor not support 1920x1200, Ratio 1.6? Also ensure that your graphics.cfg file's attributes are not 'Read Only', in which case changes will not be saved.

Viper, no top rez is 1920X1080. I'm pretty sure I checked that read only thing...I forgot what I did. How do I re-check that?

I'm pretty sure I checked that read only thing...I forgot what I did. How do I re-check that?

Right-Click on the file and select 'Properties'.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Right-Click on the file and select 'Properties'.

Oh yeah duuuhh :doh: Anyway, the 'read only' box is unchecked and I've been sure to save my settings. All to no avail...I love this monitor and I know this thing can work with Lo and that's what's made things so frustrating.