Demo 1.1 first impression

Hi,

I just played a little bit the 1.1 Demo.

it's quite good, I've only flown the A-10 mission. Well the game seems quite the same for most details.

These are the things I've noticed a little bit changed:

- Flight Dynamics of the A-10 seem a bit different. Just for example it seems to gain speed a bit faster but it also bleeds speed faster.

- the aircraft shakes when the Avenger is firing

- The radio comms seem a bit different (at least the voice has changed)

- The explosions are a bit different, especially those of the helicopters

- Also the CBU effects seem a little bit better. The Rockeye seem to have a higher PK.

on the other side my wingman was shot down by SAMs after his first pass over the target, so it seems that hasn't been changed very much.

Maybe if I flew the Su-25 I'd have noticed many more changes, but I don't like it very much, yet.

If I had to say my opinion about the demo is that it's mainly intended for new LockOn players. People who already play LockOn will hardly find a real reason to spend some more money just playing with this demo.

Given that ED can't release a demo for newbies and one for "veterans" , I suggest to put up a movie which best represents some game aspects (new terrain, etc etc). Sure here many people will buy the addon because they want the SU-25T or just because are Lomac fans. But I think it would be cool to convince people that it's worth to buy this game. I'm mainly thinking about people who usually fly American aircraft in LockOn.

that's just imho

anyway the game seems good. I bought LockOn after playing with 1.0 demo, and I would have bought it with this demo too. Is there any official price out for 1.1?

That is one of the reasons for my "Is spending programming resources on the Ka-50 really a good idea?" poll. I wonder if people will change their answers after buying v1.1. I'm afraid that after the initial novelty of flying a new aircraft passes, people will be stuck with the same fundamental game they had before. Whereas an add-on that had no new flyable aircraft but made the game somehow more addictive would be promoted more strongly through word of mouth and provide longer-term return on investment.

That said, you really haven't "tried" 1.1 yet until seeing the new Su-25 flight model - especially the landings. IMHO that is what 1.1 is really about, in terms of taking the sim to a new level. Note: you will probably want to have the joystick axis curves set to "linear" for the Su-25.

Thanks for the feedback!

-SK

Re: Demo 1.1 first impression

The biggest selling point for me is the AFM and boy is it a big one. Too bad that there's still no differential (or any other) toe-brake functionality, it would really be useful when taxiing that Su-25. It's too bad that the Lua export functionality isn't present in the demo (it IS in the final product, isn't it?).

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

Overall, I like it too. The demo isn't going to get me hooked on the old frog, but that "T" looks like a lot more fun, and effective. I'll be trying that out. I noted that several functions appeared to be inop., but I don't know if they are errors or if it's the way it is.

Some notes off the top of my head..

First- I'm liking the AFM. That's creepy!! 8)

Wheel brakes in the frog. Yikes. :shock:

A10's brakes were like snagging a 3-wire..

Cockpit lights in both models didn't work.

I don't think ALT HOLD works on the frog? Not equipped? :?:

If I remember where the active jamming indicator light is- the 25 in the demo either did not have any pods, or was inop.. not sure.

The 25 didn't like to turn.. I'm assuming this is correct beacuse the A10 seemed fine with the same control settings.

LOVE the TVM. The "K" mavericks are no longer useless. Great job.

Re-arm/ fuel didnt work (figured this was deliberate)

no FPS meter

All in all it's pretty sweet. My track ir worked perfectly. I hope the AFM makes it to all the models at some point.

The 25 didn't like to turn.. I'm assuming this is correct beacuse the A10 seemed fine with the same control settings.

I think you found the "catch" with the AFM - the controls now mirror the real aircraft rather than what "feels" right, so you may want to adjust the joystick axes in "Options" when switching from AFM aircraft (Su-25 and Su-25T) to SFM aircraft (all others). The SFM jets will feel "twitchy" if used with linear axes instead of curved, whereas the AFM jets are less responsive with curved axes and are more comfortable with linear axes. It's the price we pay for such a serious flight model.

The AFM wheel brakes were carefully researched to reflect real performance, as opposed to what we've grown accustomed to from sims. Safe landings with AFM are now significantly more challenging. Remember to use the brake chute - that's why it's there. :wink:

-SK

I don't think ALT HOLD works on the frog? Not equipped? :?:

No :) - the Su-25 does not have altitude hold. The Su-25T, on the other hand, has a more sophisticated flight control system with an advanced autopilot and several other automatic flight features.

If I remember where the active jamming indicator light is- the 25 in the demo either did not have any pods, or was inop.. not sure.

The Su-25 does not carry any jamming devices.....again you will have to wait for the Su-25T in the retail version :)

Re-arm/ fuel didnt work (figured this was deliberate)

no FPS meter

Maybe that was deliberate too? ...so people wouldnt be glued to the FPS counter instead of flying the planes :lol:

Anyway these things work fine in the full version, so I dont know why arent in the demo :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

I hate the new demo!

It forced me, at gunpoint, to play until late last night and so I was 30 minutes late for work this morning :lol:

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

I hate the new demo!

It forced me, at gunpoint, to play until late last night and so I was 30 minutes late for work this morning :lol:

last night due to 1.1 demo I was 45 min late to meet with my girlfriend. It's common to lose the perception of time when playing Lomac :)

EDIT I must add these new things seen on the demo:

- an improved A-10 damage model! whoa, I lost a rudder, and the box of my right engine :) looks like ED looked at that SAM-damaged A-10 during ops over Bosnia.

- the dirt dust made when performing low passes (like Falcon 4)

- engine fire, with heavy smoke trail

- new HIRES skins for A-10

- new sidewinder growl

these features rock!

a10_damage.jpg

Who noticed some problems with the wingmen AI ?

each time in the 2 quick missions Su25 & A10 they go completly insane against the 2 helos in the missions.

They must have a script or something in the AI which says "ME ZOMBIE ! ME KILL HELOS!! KILL!! KILL!!" because once they notice the helos they wont do anything else than engaging helos.

They wont rejoin formation or answer other commands. And if unfortunatly they miss the helos with their missiles, they will go dogfight against the helos which can be VERY long before they kill the helos. Also often, while dogfighting against helos, they will be shotdown by AAA or SAM...

Theres a lot of good things in this demo but i was disappointed by the AI.

The first thing I had to map was Left and Right Trim. As soon as you drop some bomb or missile the plane responds and starts pulling in the oposite direction.

Mucho cool

The other thing was the AFM. Suddenly the landings became a bit harder. It took me 3 passes to get it right. Did mess though by accidently raising the gear when taxiing. No good idea. If I recall correctly that was not possible in 1.02.

Also the new laser timer is something to think about. Now you can't lase a target for miles away. I did and the laser turned off when my missile was halfway. :/

Another good thing is that lo-mac now takes alot less memory. Also I found that when flying through smoke doesn't kill the fps like it used to. Still a small stutter bot no slideshow.

Can't wait to get my hands on the real deal :)

Over and out.

ASUS P4T533-C|P4 3.06@3.45|1024Mb Kingston 1066 rambus|ATI 9.... *EDITED* - Listen to Mods!!!

I can only second the positive comments about the AFM, it's just sublime :) It really feels like a rugged aircraft now (not that I'd know what that feels like). The new damage model is absolutely fantastic too, can't wait to do some better testing with it. The downside is that I now want the remaining aircraft to get an AFM even more, lol.

On the other hand, the fact that collisions with other objects are still somewhat unrealistic was a slight disappointment. You can still drive half-way into a vehicle on the ground before the sim notices that something's wrong. Would be cool if you could actually bump into them, that is they actually stop/deflect your aircraft instead of only causing damage but otherwise being of no hindrance at all.

After importing some 1.02 files, the first thing I did was make a mission in 1.02 for the purpose of testing the AI. 4 ship of Hornets flying at angels 20 and tasked to destroy a ship. I placed a Tunguska along their flight path. Sure enough, two dived down at it and were obliterated. The other two stuck to the mission.

I tried the same mission in 1.1 and the entire 4 ship maintained altitude and stuck to the mission, totally disregarding the Tunguska.

I then changed the mission and replaced the Hornets with Hogs and the results were the same. More testing will follow, but it is encouraging to see improved AI flights that do not deviate from their assigned targets. Hopefully, complex battle scenarios will soon be possible.

Avaritia bona est.

Mm.. I like the demo.

But, even with the Advanced Flight Model, which allowed me to slide off the runway on the belly of the aircraft after damaging my landing gear, spewing debris in a chaotic trail behind me....I just can't say that I like the Su25. I never flew the plane very much at all in 1.02, and playing the demo made me remember why.

:)

I dunno..maybe I'm spoilt but the lack of the HUD cues I've grown accustomed to and it's reliance on all those analog gauges and instruments...but...I just don't like flying it! I much prefer the A10.

From what I'm reading, the SU25T is the only deal for SEAD missions with high stand off capability that we have right now.

So..anyone know when the full game is going to be released? :)

Well I've just finished my first session with 1.1 demo. I had no issues, no bugs, no sticky keys and one hell of a ride! The AFM is phenomenal, it's like a whole new sim! I managed to land it first go, just, and what a rush! Second go I was not so fortunate, spinning a full 180 degrees on touch down and sliding off the edge of the runway. Dust and smoke flying everywhere I began to tip, then rolled over, caught on fire and came to a stop.

BRILLIANT, I LOVE IT! THUMBS UP ED! WELL DONE! :D

Just when you thought it was safe to go back over the water...

Flight Lieutenant "Jaws"

169th Panthers

Second go I was not so fortunate, spinning a full 180 degrees on touch down and sliding off the edge of the runway. Dust and smoke flying everywhere I began to tip, then rolled over, caught on fire and came to a stop.

BRILLIANT, I LOVE IT! THUMBS UP ED! WELL DONE! :D

I guess your commanding officer didn't say the same thing to you after what you did to "his" aircraft :)

I have also had a great time flying, and I am speaking of both the A-10 and the Frogfoot. One thing that I noticed when flying along the coastline, is that the waves are actually washing up on the shore. This is a new feature, right? New or old, it's a beautiful little detail.

I experienced the sticky keys, but only when I pause the game. When flying, sticky keys does not cause problems for me.

I have to play it more to discover all the good (and hopefully, not too many bad) things about 1.1, but already I can say that this is a definitive buy for me!

Let me finish with a comment to Ironhand: Great training missions for the Hog! I hope you will stay with us and continue to make further contributions to the community.

I want to get away, I wanna fly away.

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

- Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

Let me finish with a comment to Ironhand: Great training missions for the Hog! I hope you will stay with us and continue to make further contributions to the community.

Oh heck yeah, forgot to mention that too. THe Ironhand tutorial was excellent.

Of course, with the A10 when I was given command, I promptly lost the targets until I turned on Labels ^_^. Even after all the ," And notice the stream to the right of the road....the ocean on the west side..behind the town...and there's the convoy"...all the landmarks in the world and I still couldn't pick them out after I extend and then turn to target.

Of course, with the A10 when I was given command, I promptly lost the targets until I turned on Labels ^_^. Even after all the ," And notice the stream to the right of the road....the ocean on the west side..behind the town...and there's the convoy"...all the landmarks in the world and I still couldn't pick them out after I extend and then turn to target.

Yes, I know. Sometimes it can be a real pain in the ass finding your targets. Unfortunately, they often find you first :(

I want to get away, I wanna fly away.

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

- Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away