Dual boot OS, duplicate DCS installs, must I lose an activation?

TX-EcoDragon

Hey guys, I'm currently running XP, but I would like to try out BlackShark in WIndows 7 using a dual boot, or perhaps just swap in a clean C: drive rather than dual booting. This will mean I'll need duplicate DCS installs on the same machine. . .is it going to cost me an activation to do this?

Is there a DCS approved means of using the same activation on each install?

S! TX-EcoDragon

Deactivate the XP copy first and use the deactivation code when you activate in W7. Then, when you're done with W7 deactivate again and use the code to re-activate in WinXP. You shouldn't lose an activation this way. You also can't play both at the same time either.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I originally installed on Windows XP, and was able to switch to Vista without using either an activation OR deactivation. I just backed up my XP registry key (HKCU\Software\Eagle Dynamics\Black Shark), then restored that registry key in Vista. Worked a charm.

To make it more likely that the system will not require reactivation, I suggest making sure the Windows 7 machine name matches the Windows XP machine name you installed with. Good luck

• Like 1

Thanks all!

Rep all around!

Oh and Mxyzpylk, Windows 7 can be installed to clean drive or partition. . .or you can upgrade Vista, what you can't do is *upgrade* from XP. I for one don't know that all that many people would want to upgrade to a beta though. . .

S! TX-EcoDragon

Thanks all!

Rep all around!

Oh and Mxyzpylk, Windows 7 can be installed to clean drive or partition. . .or you can upgrade Vista, what you can't do is *upgrade* from XP. I for one don't know that all that many people would want to upgrade to a beta though. . .

I was under the impression it was an upgrade only, not stand-alone. Oh well, as long as it works for you.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this thread, and the tip wombat. I myself am experimenting with Tripple boot configs on independent drives and all 3 on a single partitioned hard drive, and i dont want to go thru the activation/deactivation if not neccissary. And yes, Win 7 Beta can be installed on a freshly formated drive without Vista.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle