Rain but No Water

Dusty Rhodes

I see it raining and I have windshield wipers but who needs them cuz nothing happens to the wind shield. Is this something being worked on or minutae that will not make it into the sim?

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

It's not in the game yet..

Wet surfaces have been around so long they shouldn't cut half of the playerbase out by making it DX10!

Hopefully with the new gfx engine we'll see them, hopefully with new trees and "linebug" fixes :)

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Grobin,

You really think ED will stick with DX 9 for their next engine, its inevitable that DX10 in some iteration is on its way, why would ED swim against the technological tide?

As long as microsoft keeps ripping people off by forcing them to vista, wich is tbh still in beta stage, just to get a new directX that offers barely anything new for current hardware, and even that small advantage is lost when vista eats much more resources, it wouldn't be quite smart to make it DX10 only :lol:

Most ppl upgrade to XP anyway.

Tho some DX10 "hacks" are already out for win XP, i wouldn't be too sure they would work with this new engine :huh:

Well DX10 was out - not many engines using it, Dx10.1 - the same.

DX11 is in developement and already there I heard someone saying that it will not be worth waiting for it.

So why not sticking with proven technology?

Exactly my point.

Making people pay hundreds of dollars in vista, wich they don't even want to use in the first place, just to play DCS would sure cut their market in half.

I don't see the need for DX10 to implement this. It is already implemented in EECH mods and it is DX? ? I just wonder if it is something ED can't do with the software, hasn't gotten to yet, will do in the future, or don't find it necessary.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Do you remember how bad reflections impacted performance in Lock On? Imagine if instead of using a simple image of the cockpit to simulate reflections, it also had to simulate refractions/diffractions through moving water on the glass. Maybe I'm wrong here as I'm not exactly a programmer, but it seems to me that it would be far more resource heavy than the current tech could handle.

Regardless of whether or not they make use of DX10, I highly doubt XP users would be left in the dark. I've never seen a game that was only compatible with DX10. They might exist, but no independent developer serious about their product would do that: there's no reason for it other than increasing MS's revenue. And despite all these complaints about Vista's memory handling, I get consistently better fps than in XP.

Before the hounds of XP hell are unleashed upon me, let me say that this is not directed at any of the above posters and I have absolutely no interest in starting another bible-sized OS debate; I'm just getting tired of all the XP 4 LIFE!!! dudes. Sure, it's a great OS, but it wasn't released like that. Vista had a rockier start than XP, but since I've installed it I've had very little to complain about, least of all performance. But that's just my very narrow experience and it might be the worse thing ever on every other computer than the ones I've used, however I somehow doubt that's the case. It seems to me that most of people's reluctance to switch over comes from either stubbornness, impatience or money. I completely sympathize with the latter, but to the others I say grow up.

Edited by Chibawang

ED has experimented with animated droplet effects in Black Shark, but the 6DOF cockpit was causing problems they couldn't overcome.

Some car sims i play have their windows textured with animated rain textures, and again with wiped textures when wipers are being used, with very little performance hit, no need to REALLY simulate how that water goes on the screen by wind or stuff..

... I'm just getting tired of all the XP 4 LIFE!!! dudes. Sure, it's a great OS, but it wasn't released like that...

True that, but if there would still be lots of games and stuff that run on 98, id use it over XP any day. Having dos running under it gives very much room to work with incase windows goes tits up, wich it usually does sooner or later, no matter wich version.

atm XP just happens to be the most supported system out there, so most people prefer it. Maybe there will be time when vista has drivers and support for everything xp has, but i doubt it.

• 3 years later...
ED has experimented with animated droplet effects in Black Shark, but the 6DOF cockpit was causing problems they couldn't overcome.

After 3+ years, I'm wondering this. Could they? :badmood:

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Personally, I found Vista to be total crap. However, win 7 is a very stable platform (Yes I know its vista-esque). I have had NO problems with it since I installed a long time ago. Most games run on it, except of course the ones that have not been updated past xp. But, thats a mute point. I too am tired of the the XP 4 lifers. Times are changing, developers need the better tech, time to move on.

DCS: A10C Warthog JTAC coordinate entry training mission http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/99424/

DCS: Blackshark 2 interactive training missions http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

MotivatorThreadNecro.jpg

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: