BlackShark necessary to run later DCS modules?

Squid

Having BlackShark installed is necessary to buy/run later DCS modules? or could they be working as stand alone installations as well?

Thank you

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

No :) If you want fly next module - A-10C but not wanna Ka-50 cos example you don't like choppers you buy only A-10C and fly only this. You will not be able to fly Kamov and I THINK Ka-50 animations will be simpler ect.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I sure hope Black Shark owners get a discount if they are stand-alone.

And if they are stand-alone, i sure hope theres way to "connect" them. Having to make settings for each module, different logbooks for different modules, and having to close and start whole another program just to switch plane is just... well..

Something like IL-2 would be good, when it comes to standalone vs. expansion pack.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Why would you get a discount?

As its more of an expansion if it runs on same engine, wouldnt ppl rather just buy that new aircraft and add it to this game we now have rather than buying the same thing again with just another aircraft included :huh:

Making people buy this same product again and again to get those new aircrafts that come with it is like making people buy a whole computer again every time they come up with a different kind of keyboard for it instead of just selling that keyboard seperately for cheaper price, if you know what i mean :smilewink:

Like VBS for example, you pay X price for the "core" it runs on, and then buy additional modules for it. Don't have to buy that "core" with every addon they come up with.

Tbh im more concerned how these new modules work with eachother, MP for example, can i fight my friend who flies Ka-50 in my A-10 if they are standalone? And those things i previously mentioned, logbooks, settings etc.

Price is not really an issue with products of this quality, just that paying for something i already have feels.. odd.

Edited by Grodin

DCS is under constant development.

Each aircraft can take quite a long time to actually create, given the immense amunt of work required to model an aircraft accurately.

On top of this, engine enhancements as well as other new features are developed.

So, no - no discounts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

what its important to understand is that DCS:BlackShark is ridiculously cheap comparing to what you get vs. any other crap title that i.e. EA games distributes at the same price.

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

for example with A-10, may come a new theater as well (may) its not exactly "what you already have" i dont think each release will be just a new aircraft model.

The way ED models stuff means lot of work for every new aircraft (its not like lets say the TW planes that IF TW would be making extra planes for each game release they could charge it like $5-10 each or not at all, and they charge only every whole new title (based on same engine and technology though) with terrains, etc

The amount of work each ED aircraft addition (that i hope wont be just about the aircraft but other things related to each aircraft) requires can maybe justify almost as a new package "release" each time

No :) If you want fly next module - A-10C but not wanna Ka-50 cos example you don't like choppers you buy only A-10C and fly only this. You will not be able to fly Kamov and I THINK Ka-50 animations will be simpler ect.

So is this indeed the official DCS stand?

Edited by Squid

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

I have absolutly no problem buying A10C as a standalone product (in this price range). If you look at the high quality addon aircraft for FSX they are priced around $50 (or was a year ago anyway). (Talking about LevelD 767).

And having this kind of fidelity on a home computer is just mindblowing. I really still is in awe with what i just got! :)

Something to consider: there are add-ons for FSX that cost $50 or more.

But more importantly, if you don't buy DCS:BS, you may not get the airframe you want...

I'm not really interested in a helo sim, but how long has it been since we've had a good study sim on any airframe?

ED needs our support in order to keep the DCS effort alive. I'll buy DCS:BS (when box version comes out) so I can eventually get the A-10 sim I've waited years for.

It was a sad day almost ten years ago when EA: Janes suddenly quit and abandoned the A-10 sim they were working on.

Anyways, $50 seems more than reasonable. ED - I'm looking forward to the boxed version of DCS:BS.

But to be honest, I've been following along just to get the A-10 sim.

Arizona

The intent is to have each DCS module be network-compatible with the rest, at least last I heard.

How this will be accomplished exactly I don't know, but yes - the idea is that come the A-10C module, you might see A-10's and Ka-50's flying in the same sky.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

DCS is under constant development.

Each aircraft can take quite a long time to actually create, given the immense amunt of work required to model an aircraft accurately.

On top of this, engine enhancements as well as other new features are developed.

So, no - no discounts.

I respectfully disagree with you GGTharos. While I would not mind paying full price for an expansion I can understand where the opposition is coming from. Why pay full price for an aircraft add-on and engine enhancements? Sure it's a lot of work to model the aircraft to the high fidelity that we are expecting but at the end of the day the principal reason why anyone would purchase the add-on is to have the target aircraft that the add-on is featuring. Engine enhancements should be a gift to the end-user not priced. I mean if the enhancements to the engine are as significant of a change (e.g. Dynamic campaign, different theatre of operations) to warrant the additional pricing fine go for it but if not I struggle to find the rationale behind charging full price.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

The intent is to have each DCS module be network-compatible with the rest, at least last I heard.

How this will be accomplished exactly I don't know, but yes - the idea is that come the A-10C module, you might see A-10's and Ka-50's flying in the same sky.

Now, that would be the ideal situation, and I would pay $50.00 or so for each add-on right after I get the boxed version of BS;)

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Don't get me wrong, price is very reasonable for this quality product.

Why i dont really fancy this stand-alone approach is because id really hate to see it being sold as different product with no "integration" to previous titles.

A-10 being its own package is fine, but it really should somehow be able to connect to this Ka-50 we have now so we can mix up different aircrafts in MP, those who have the module can fly it, those who dont cant.

Them working as completely different products is a real turnoff if they cant be "mixed up".

If i buy A-10 and cant fly Ka-50 with those improved engine/systems it brings with it .. :noexpression:

I understand if you sell a simulator to A-10 pilot he doesnt care if he can fly aircraft Y or X, you can sell different sims to different countries...

But id really prefer a single folder with a single .exe in it, and behind that i can find both of them aircraft in that same system.

Get what im saying? I don't want to "change to another game" when i want to change plane. Thats like having "Operation flashpoint : M16" and if youd want to use and AK youd have to close it and launch "Operation flashpoint : AK"

Edited by Grodin

I respectfully disagree with you GGTharos. While I would not mind paying full price for an expansion I can understand where the opposition is coming from. Why pay full price for an aircraft add-on and engine enhancements? Sure it's a lot of work to model the aircraft to the high fidelity that we are expecting but at the end of the day the principal reason why anyone would purchase the add-on is to have the target aircraft that the add-on is featuring.

In that case, with all due respect ...

Why shouldn't your boss reduce your salary since your work is really an 'add on' or continuation of your or someone else's work? After all, your work should be valued as much as you value the work of others. That would be great, wouldn't it?

Engine enhancements should be a gift to the end-user not priced. I mean if the enhancements to the engine are as significant of a change (e.g. Dynamic campaign, different theatre of operations) to warrant the additional pricing fine go for it but if not I struggle to find the rationale behind charging full price.

Do you like working for free? Or for less, for that matter? All engine changes in DCS are significant. You'll already be getting patches without extra cost for the rest, so what's the problem here?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't get me wrong, price is very reasonable for this quality product.

Why i dont really fancy this stand-alone approach is because id really hate to see it being sold as different product with no "integration" to previous titles.

A-10 being its own package is fine, but it really should somehow be able to connect to this Ka-50 we have now so we can mix up different aircrafts in MP, those who have the module can fly it, those who dont cant.

Them working as completely different products is a real turnoff if they cant be "mixed up".

If i buy A-10 and cant fly Ka-50 with those improved engine/systems it brings with it .. :noexpression:

Get what im saying?

I get what you're saying but I highly doubt that each model will be a standalone entity. But this talk (although necessary) is very premature; I mean we are looking at another <9 months until the next module is released. Let's wait for a development update to speculate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

See what I posted before - DCS is meant to be a series which will permit you to network any of the DCS aircraft together.

This is also in the DCS FAQ ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

See what I posted before - DCS is meant to be a series which will permit you to network any of the DCS aircraft together.

This is also in the DCS FAQ ;)

Allright so we have series of products that can be mixed up in MP, thats nice.

Say this "DCS A-10" comes with improved scenery and some improved physics and whatnot...

Can i get this new stuff, and say improved A-10 models and animations to my "DCS Ka-50" if i have both of them?

And vice versa, do i get all this fancy Ka-50 stuff to A-10 if i have both of them?

<= 50 Us / 35 Euro

Interesting... it's seems that some have put their hard limit at $50us/35Eur0..

This is based only on the few post in this thread. Painting with a big brush.

It's more then understandable that a teen low on money would want the

next game to be cheaper using the simple "it's an add-on" logic.

What about you die-hard so called Hardcore gamers? Is 50/35 your hard

limit or would you pay more for what you like?

It's a sure bet that some of the answers will contain... the simple if then logic...

"If it has my favorite pet feature XYZ then Blah blah blah"

But really... Only 50/35 for a multi year development project with a code base

like DCS?

Regardless of the feature set… It seems like users would be willing to

pay much more for a project churning out such positive results.

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.