Problem with laser rangefinder

therion_prime

This happened to me three times in three different missions:

Everything works fine when suddenly - after at least 20 minutes mission time - the laser rangefinder displayes erratic numbers and I cannot fire Vikhrs anymore (I don't get a launch authorisation). From visual judgement, the target is at least 5km away, yet the lased distance shows something below 2km.

I made an INU fix (but what does INU have to do with a laser rangefinder? but who knows?) but that didn't solve the problem - as I expected.

Also I was not hit, nor did the laser overheat or something like that. Switching the laser standby on/off or caging/uncaging Skhval didn't help either.

Did anybody experience something similar?

My DCS movies:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happened to me and my friend as well (similar time in mission as you). I first thought it is some kind of overheat, however by rereading manual, you should get PAUSE on HUD if it is cooling. It even happens if you use laser in the purist (on/off) way. Even tried cleaning sensors windshield without any effect... I am leaning toward that this is a bug.

• ED Team

Check also - is throttle are set to AUTO? If not - the generators power is not enough to supply onboard electronics when you pull down collective.

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

I think I spotted similar thing but I guess it was my fault.... better be sure if it didn't u cause :)

Edited by Boberro
grammar

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Check also - is throttle are set to AUTO? If not - the generators power is not enough to supply onboard electronics when you pull down collective.

Throttle was set to AUTO.

The thing is that even if you see ИД on HUD, the range does not changes or if it does, it is wrong. What I did in such case was either to turn laser off, wait a minute or so, try again, and sometimes the range was correct, or if it did not help I had repeated the procedure. If nothing helped, I was then forced to compensate by manually increasing range with camera movement off the target and shoot-and-correct by cannon fire.

i noticed similar behaviour in some self-made missions - sometimes the laser just doesn't lock and gives out no range, sometimes it even locks but gives back a wrong range... i was wondering myself why the gunshots went waaay too short..

maybe it has something to do with the contrast of the target to the ground. by changing the size of the tracking-gate and/or changing my position and locking from a other angle, it finally worked.

maybe it's the same problem you encounter?

Democracy is choice, not freedom...

Hmm, I mostly fly with trottles set to MAX :music_whistling:

Could this be the cause (generator wear or something)?

Edited by therion_prime

My DCS movies:

Ok guys I have dun some testing on this when I noticed the same thing. after firing the laser the first to range it works fine. but as you move around it looses its calabration. just refire the laser for a new range calabration. wait the 6 seconds and she is ready to fire weapons agin.:thumbup:

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

• ED Team
Hmm, I mostly fly with trottles set to MAX

Don't do it! It is the best way to kill engines :) (except dust). MAX throttle is extra-ordinary short time mode - for example, in case of one engine failure and your helicopter needs more power for manoeuvre. Do not use MAX throttle for long time. During cruise flight and combat you have to use AUTO only - it's enough in most cases.

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

Ok guys I have dun some testing on this when I noticed the same thing. after firing the laser the first to range it works fine. but as you move around it looses its calabration. just refire the laser for a new range calabration. wait the 6 seconds and she is ready to fire weapons agin.:thumbup:

I tried that before. Didn't work. The missile/gun that would be guided on the target would fall short.

In any case, I've been noticing this a few times, I like to take my time to complete a mission, and after a while the laser starts producing erroneous data. Especially a problem if you saved that last Vikhr for that one last AA unit, and after fumbling around with 100 different settings (restarting laser, relocking, etc etc), finally getting a lock, firing the missile... and see it punch a hole in the ground because it just fell to earth (no, I didn't put ATGM in manual or any of that).

-Z

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I aaaaaam ... a banana!

I tried that before. Didn't work. The missile/gun that would be guided on the target would fall short.

In any case, I've been noticing this a few times, I like to take my time to complete a mission, and after a while the laser starts producing erroneous data. Especially a problem if you saved that last Vikhr for that one last AA unit, and after fumbling around with 100 different settings (restarting laser, relocking, etc etc), finally getting a lock, firing the missile... and see it punch a hole in the ground because it just fell to earth (no, I didn't put ATGM in manual or any of that).

-Z

I(and friend of mine) have experienced exactly same as yours.

it was long flight(about 2 hours and half)...and not only lasering but also datalink system is fecked up at the same time.

if I crash and get new A/C, the problem is completely disappeared

restarting laser switch didnt make any difference...

but how about restarting weapon system swtich that is to the right of ejection arm switch?

I havent tried it yet.

can we have ED's opinion about this? :)

Edited by verana_ss

have you used the wiper for the laser i wonder? i saw in one of the producers notes that it has one.. not used it myself. but you never know ?

Asus P8P67-M Pro, i7 2600K@4.6Ghz, 4gb Vengence Ram, Gainward GTX 580 3gb Phantom, Win7 64 Ultimate, Warthog Control System.

Trackir 5 Pro, Saitek Combat Pedals.

but how about restarting weapon system swtich that is to the right of ejection arm switch?

I havent tried it yet.

can we have ED's opinion about this? :)

Did that. I landed at a nearby FARP when I last got the issue, was nearly out of Vikhrs anyway, and could use some fuel, so powered down completely. Rearmed & refueled, ready to take off again, hoping it was some simulation of being low on battery or something, so I hooked her up to ground power too, did pretty much everything. Took off, went to try and take out those last 3 tanks that would turn a 90% complete into 100% complete... and still had the issue :|

Will try the Shkval wiper thingy next time, don't think I've tried that one yet, didn't really think it was functional/implemented, thought it served about the same use as opening the door, a pretty animation :p

-Z

Edited by Zembla

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I aaaaaam ... a banana!

I'm having the same issue, too. Long into the mission, sometimes after rearming at the FARP, my laser breaks down and I can no longer range or fire Vikhrs. Usually happens after a couple of Vikhr shots - the third goes straight into the ground. Happened a few times already. It's as if I burn out the laser, if such thing is even modelled...

Track please!

laser fault.trk

Start having problems at approximately 14:10 - 14:15 local time, after rearming and refueling. After returning to the target area, I proceed to knock out two tanks which, in the track, looks like I'm lobbing Vikhrs at an empty ground. This DEFINITELY was NOT the case when I flew the actual mission. There WERE tanks in my sights.

I try to lock up the third one but Shkval refuses to do it. Then somehow locks but the range is all wrong and I get no authorization for weapon's release. :huh:

I then start resetting various systems and end up turning off the Targeting Navigation system (N + LSHIFT) (and with it the autopilot) in hopes of getting my laser back but to no avail... :joystick:

Edited by Brute

• ED Team
the Targeting Navigation system (N + LSHIFT)
Mistake. It's only Navigation system (no targeting!) and used by ground systems checking. Do not turn ON or OFF this switch.

G.K. Chesterton

• ED Team

No, sorry. Time, time, time.. :(

G.K. Chesterton

No, sorry. Time, time, time.. :(

Understandable.:) In fact, I'm glad that you, guys, are busy as I can't wait to buy another module! :pilotfly:

BTw, I see that there was a thread on the subject in the russian forum as well:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=33570

Я просто хочу знать, считаются ли эти аномалии bug-ом, и если так, то ожидается ли fix в следующем патче? Или, быть может это feature, и мы просто сжигаем наши лазеры?

I get the same problem. For me it usually happens about 30 - 45 minutes into a flight. I can reset the laser and once again get accurate ranging information but no "C". If I launch a Vikhr manually it will just fall to the ground. Also, the datalink panel stops working correctly and I can no longer mark or send targets.

The only way I've found to fix this is just to board another chopper.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I fought this the other day until I looked outside on the lower leftside a panel was shot out with the wires sticking out. So returned to base and repaired it and it worked again. I know some of you have repaired and it did nothing but this did work for me.

I get the same problem. For me it usually happens about 30 - 45 minutes into a flight. I can reset the laser and once again get accurate ranging information but no "C". If I launch a Vikhr manually it will just fall to the ground. Also, the datalink panel stops working correctly and I can no longer mark or send targets.

The only way I've found to fix this is just to board another chopper.

This is the exact same thing happening to me ... No "C" auth, and switching to manual results in missiles lawn darting...