Highest Quality Force Feedback Joystick?

urze could you clarify your statement on logitechs low resolution. Is it because of low quality pots or is the board inferior? In my franken force build i am only using the CH pots (6 old and 3 new). Will that help?

Rig Specs: AMD FX-60 @ 2.6ghz - DFI Lanparty SLI UT - 4gb Mushkin Redline Ram - WD Raptor 300gb HDD - EVGA 260GTX 940mb - SoundBlaster something Live:P - Samsung 20.1" Syncmaster 204B (Camera) and Shuttle 17" xp17 (Abris & Shkval)

Flight Controls: Franken Force CH 568/Logitech Wingman Force 3D Hybrid - CH Pro Throttle - Logitech Momo Wheel Conversion to FFB pedals - Belkin N52

I got it on Friday. I spent all day Saturday trying to make it work. I was very disappointed on the end. This stick is just not working right period.

When trying to trim, pressing the "T" key causes noticeable kick in the stick, but stick does not lock in that position! It moves some towards the center. And that makes the stick useless. I tried different settings through Logitech FF software and through BS, and was not able to get any good results at all.

Next comes the fact that the stick is just loose in the center.

Next is something that Urze may be calling the "low resolution". Which is little movement of the stick produces awfully lots of in game stick movement. It is almost impossible to fly BS with this joystick. Adjusting the curves didn’t help because of such a small amount of displacement this stick has.

And finally, I defiantly noticed, occasionally the stick produced commands without me moving it. It looked like electrical noise or something.

I opened discussion at Logitech forum. But in all likelihood, this stick is going back to Newegg tomorrow.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

urze could you clarify your statement on logitechs low resolution. Is it because of low quality pots or is the board inferior? In my franken force build i am only using the CH pots (6 old and 3 new). Will that help?
See my post above (post #27) for what mught be a "low resolution" problem.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

My only experience with logitech FFB sticks is with used ones so I expected there to be mechanical slop in the stick due to worn out springs. I just tested my Franken force in the logitech calibration utility and it was night and day compared to my stock logitech FFB joystick. Its very responsive, with a good amount of force and the motors dont make a high pitched squeal that the logitech ones do. I still have to rewire the CH grip and build the extension. The laptop I used to test it in my workshop doesnt have BS on it so I cant speak to its ingame performance. I think the twist rudder design, low quality pots and flimsy mechanical linkages all contribute to the jerkiness and erroneous inputs of logitech FFB joysticks.

Its also possible to resolve the "low res" problem with some gearing if your more mechanically inclined.

Rig Specs: AMD FX-60 @ 2.6ghz - DFI Lanparty SLI UT - 4gb Mushkin Redline Ram - WD Raptor 300gb HDD - EVGA 260GTX 940mb - SoundBlaster something Live:P - Samsung 20.1" Syncmaster 204B (Camera) and Shuttle 17" xp17 (Abris & Shkval)

Flight Controls: Franken Force CH 568/Logitech Wingman Force 3D Hybrid - CH Pro Throttle - Logitech Momo Wheel Conversion to FFB pedals - Belkin N52

Hi all,

I also tried Logitech Force 3D Pro. It has very small movement (on the stick, only a few cm's on the end) and a weak force feedback, so it is quite hard to make precise flights (Ka-50, MiG-29 etc. are not FBW stuff so this joy has another con). After a month or so, the center position moved and it was impossible to pull the stick full back (I mean, full back in the sim: I had to push and hold "Down" button on my keyboard to make hard turns). Recalibrations and driver refreshes/reinstalls didn't help, so I sold it and bought an X52. F3D Pro had another interesting habit: it breakdanced in my hand during smooth maneuvering. Maybe the poor FFB support or bad deadzone setup: I don't know, I tried several thing to get rid of this habit (I played FS2004 and LOFC).

But I tried Logitech's Strike Force 3D before my F3D Pro and it was really impressed me in FS2004. It has enough strong FFB to hang on the stick over a ravine:D. Unfortunately it's a discontinued stuff and I don't know whether it works with BS or not.

Cheers!

Edited by VS461
sth missing

За всю историю никто и никогда не сумел завоевать Афганистан. Hикто и никогда

I have a Saitek Evo Force, ended up disabling the FFB, because it's so weak trim is almost impossible as it doesn't keep it's position.

And the throttle at back, I keep pushing it down with my sleeve, so...:noexpression:

Seriously looking at picking up an X52 Pro, BUT I'm left-handed so I'm really hesitant about it,

as the main reason for buying the evo force was the possiblity of switching it around for the left-hand.

I wonder if there are any HOTAS for the left hand? :joystick:

"Never interrupt you enemy when he is making a mistake" - Napoleon Bonaparte

This guy Mark over on the CH hangar boards converts CH products sticks and throttle to lefty Hotas.

This is his webpage http://snomhf.exofire.net/

He has a bunch of cool joystick mod guides on his page aswell.

I wonder if there are any HOTAS for the left hand? :joystick:

I doubt that they would make two versions (lefty and righty) of HOTAS in a real military fixed/rotary craft so probably not for PC gaming joysticks either. Maybe I'm wrong.

opformaster, thanks for the tip and it's really cool but i'm in europe so shipping costs and customs duty make it too expensive for me.:cry:

unless i can find someone who does the same kind of mod in europe or i can figure out how to do it myself, i'll probably bite the bullet and go for an x52 pro or something like that. :noexpression:

as far as the real thing goes, aircraft are designed without such considerations, for either lefties or righties. i know that in the airbus FBW planes the commander gets to fly it left-handed and i suppose that it's the same for similar planes.

Ive finished finished my Franken Force and its awesome..... even with the rudder pedals on the thumb joystick on the CH pro throttle. If you can find a Force FX buy it and build yourself a Franken force. The USB FFB guts can be donated from any FFB stick be it MS, Saitek, or Logitech... They all are based on the same licensed tech from Immersion inc.

@ Sepukku

he charges $350 +s&h for the left hotas if you dont have your own CH HOTAS setup. If you have a stock CH hotas its $150 +s&h. Its resonable though I dont know what your customs duties are.

I don't have a CH Hotas, just the Cyborg Evo Force.

350$ for a custom HOTAS is reasonable, but the customs duties are brutal. My brother payed something like 60$ for an 100$ X-Arcade stick, I can't even contemplate how much they would charge for the HOTAS, as it is calculated over the price of the product.

Plus S&H, so it's not an option, unfortunately.:no_sad:

I'm leaning towards the x52 pro, maybe someone will do something similar for it over here.

I know that you wanted FF in order not to have to recenter the stick, but for anyone interested in FF just for stall warnings, cannon effects etc, check these out:

http://www.shoptronix.com/B000AOTLP6/M/B000AOTLP6.htm

or

http://www.shakercentre.co.uk/aspbite/products/products.asp?intProductsID=3

Bass shakers. I don't have one, but it's on my wishlist! Apparently these aren't to hard to make yourself either, for all you modders. I'm going to look into it properly when I get some my finances sorted.

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

so is there a list of "working" FFB sticks which are available? I just bought the LT F3D and it just sucks in the game. If I'm going to buy one, I'd really like to know which one would get me the most bang for the buck. thanks!

regards, uTILLIty

I have a Saitek Evo Force, ended up disabling the FFB, because it's so weak trim is almost impossible as it doesn't keep it's position.

Disable the spring and the EVO works well :)

I've removed the spring and the plastic baseplate, works very nicely now.

• 4 months later...

I have just bought a used Microsoft Force Feedback 2 here in Germany. Since I'm on a business trip, I was only able to try it with Condor The Competition Soaring Simulator on my laptop, and so far it looks really great. I was a little bit skeptical about buying a used joystick given it's price of 100E but it arrived in very good condition and everything seems to be in working order. My only objection is that it is not smooth as some other non FF joysticks, whoch means you can feel the subtle movement of the gears when the force it's weak especially near the center. Is this normal for all FF sticks, or is it due to wear from previous use ?

I have a few used MSFFB2 sticks, and they all have this trait. (some are very mildly used, only a couple times)

At first it bothered me, and after a couple days I realized that it actually helped me fly the black shark....it was a subtle amount of feedback that required very subtle hand movements...Much better than a sping loaded stick!!!

@crazysundog, thanks for your reply on my last post. Otherwise the forces in Condor are just incredible, you can feel the centering force getting stronger as the speed builds up, and also the trim finally works like in a real glider. Mine seems to be in very good working order as well, don't know how much it has been used, only the HAT is a little bit on the loose side, but otherwise works perfectly :). I bought it on the net from a reseller on German ebay, he ussualy sells them for 110E, but I got mine for 100E and the service was very expedient, so I suppose it was a good deal. Can't wait to try it out with the Su-25 in FC, and now I'm definitelly buying web based BS once I get home.The setup I now have is MSFFS2 + X45 Throttle + Saitek Rudder Pedals, so it seems I'm ready for the Shark :thumbup:.

• 7 years later...

Whoa necropost!

No drivers needed. Windows should detect as is.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat