The F-35 Thread

Groove

ALR-94 is so sophisticated that F-22 is in a way also an ISR aircraft. I would agree that that capability is not something they might want to share, yet it is integral to the F-22 so downgrading to a version without it makes no sense.

But I still think that there is much we do not know about F-22 and really are not supposed to either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I still think that there is much we do not know about F-22 and really are not supposed to either.

Indeed there must be. All this comes to show that bigger and more colorful displays and other airs and graces don`t make the fighter a winner. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

those Israelis are crazy. They just wont do anything small or just slightly better than their neighbors.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

the f35 is more adaptable than the f22, and the f35 is more capable and modifiable for meeting certain criteria. the f22 will need to be upgraded to a later block to be able to use a2g ordnance, and again upgraded to a later block for irst, and use the aim9x and aim120d. the f35 not only has this capability now, but there are already 3 variants.

Meaningless - it was already known that there would be new weapons that the F-22 would have to accomodate. The F-35 simply happened to be in design/testing phase at the same time.

And it doesn't have a chance in hell of being adapted to do Air Dominance like the F-22 ;)

the f35 is more adaptable than the f22, and the f35 is more capable and modifiable for meeting certain criteria. the f22 will need to be upgraded to a later block to be able to use a2g ordnance, and again upgraded to a later block for irst, and use the aim9x and aim120d. the f35 not only has this capability now, but there are already 3 variants.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Meaningless - it was already known that there would be new weapons that the F-22 would have to accomodate. The F-35 simply happened to be in design/testing phase at the same time.

And it doesn't have a chance in hell of being adapted to do Air Dominance like the F-22 ;)

exactly, which is why its the ideal choice for export for advanced aircraft. its the jack of all trades, not the ace of spades.

• ED Team

Photo Release -- Northrop Grumman Distributed Aperture System (DAS) for F-35 Demonstrates Ballistic Missile Defense Capabilities

8733.jpg

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/photo-release-northrop-grumman-distributed-aperture-system-das-for-f-35-demonstrates-ballistic-missile-defense-capabilities-2010-09-07?reflink=MW_news_stmp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

comparison.jpg

Where did you get this chart? Not at Lockheed surely, its advertising PAK-FA and Su-35. ;)

My PC specs below:

Please explain why you guys think that chart is wrong. I see high thrust is mentioned, but what about airframe (aerodynamics), weight (aiframe weight and the fact that they probably carry alot more fuel, even at 50% ). I am not saying its right, not at all, I have no idea actually, I just want to know more :)

Edit: Since this was moved from the photo/vid thread I edit to explain that this post was in response to some posts about the chart above. Like:

That chart is LOL :D

An aircraft with a nearly 50000lb thrust engine flying clean having less acceleration than other aircraft in its class. Heh ;)

Edited by Sticky

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

What does airframe weight have to do with maximum speed? The MiG-25 has less TWR than an F-15C, but it still goes faster (in fact, the MiG-25's empty weight is close to the F-15C's combat weight, and the F-15 has more powerful engines).

The F-35 has a divertless inlet (well, two of them) which means supersonic performance might suffer compared to aircraft which have more complex inlets. However, other aircraft such as the F-16 and F-18 have the same issue.

So now, you have an aircraft with higher TWR than an F-18 that flies CLEAN, and you're going to end up having lesser supersonic performance? There are reasons for which that may happen, but this is what we call 'grasping for straws' because it seems seriously darned unlikely.

I have to wonder if this chart might 'sneakily' represent no afterburner use by the F-35 ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

What does airframe weight have to do with maximum speed? ...

Well I was thinking about acceleration, and you did write accelereation yourself, and you wrote that the high thrust of the f35 makes the low acceleration of the chart a LOL. Well something like that ;) I just thought you forgot about airframe weight and aerodymaics, carrying more fuel, when making that comment about acceleration.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Acceleration is also affected by drag. This should tell you something about how that F-35 is loaded, and the top speed represented in that chart, versus a bunch of those other planes.

Incidentally, the superhornet chart should be nearly identical to that of the F-18C. That should tell you something else about this chart ;)

I'll add that this is also based on the '43000 lbs' engine statement for the F-35, but I've been hearing 48 for a long time now, and sounds like they tuned it up past 50 in an experiment lately. Not sure why they think a 16 will have any serious advantage.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes I know all about drag :) I am a huge fan of the F35, I know very much the advantages of having the wepons internal. But still, she is a fat girl ;) You have to admit that. I still think its a good design choice. But im thinking she could still have some ****** up drag when compared to some of the other planes in that chart even with no external wepons.

And I dont think your comment about the superhornet and the C is right, you are forgetting about the stealthy intakes, larger wings, new lerx and more fuel. That should change acceleration.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not forgetting anything. I have the superhornet's chart.

Also, the F-35A/C both use area rule which is a supersonic optimization in general. The B (STOVL variant) does not appear to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok :) I dont have any data. Thanks for explaining!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groove, bear teddy_bear-202.gif in mind that I was not dissing your post. Just that I think the graph is off. ;)

My PC specs below:

It seems that chart originally looked like this:f16b52performance.jpg

Perhaps Groove had some fun in PS before posting it..

JK ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]