The F-35 Thread

Groove

No, it doesn't - not in reality. Specifically, it's not that it doesn't play a role, rather, they both play a role. In LO, yes, altitude plays the -only- role.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

So you push one button and get VTOL. How on earth are they going to manage to make all this technology, coming from different vendors around the world, reliable at all?

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

So you push one button and get VTOL. How on earth are they going to manage to make all this technology, coming from different vendors around the world, reliable at all?

Why would that be an issue? Most vehicle, airplanes computers, etc are made with different parts from all over the world. Why would the F-35 suffer reliability if the engine, gear box, and other components are made in different countries?

About the Vtol check this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbnWg4v6iHk

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Why would that be an issue? Most vehicle, airplanes computers, etc are made with different parts from all over the world. Why would the F-35 suffer reliability if the engine, gear box, and other components are made in different countries?

You have a point, maybe I should have written "If they make this reliable at all, it would be truly remarkable".

My point though, is not about the manufacturing process, but rather the design, integration and testing of all components up to the required reliability standards. I have no doubt that it can be theoretically done, my concern is at what point the costs of doing so are no longer bearable, and what happens when that point is reached.

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

Due to the development of computer designed and manufactured parts, the quality of those same F-35 parts is astounding. This is shown by the large number of F-35 test flights that are returning "Code-One" which means "without any aircraft discrepancies".

What many people do not understand is that the purpose of flight testing is not to discover what the airplane can do, but to validate what the designers and simulators have said it will do. So far, the testing has gone well, with a few minor hiccups. And yes, getting parts on time and in sufficient quantity has been one of those hiccups. Here is where having multiple suppliers can be a benefit. If one has a problem, the other can pickup the slack.

You have a point, maybe I should have written "If they make this reliable at all, it would be truly remarkable".

That's just how the industry works these days and the supplier chain doesn't stop there. Even suppliers have their own suppliers. Companies specialize in smaller and smaller areas. It's just not possible to make everything yourself.

And yes, it does cause some problems. Airbus had some problems with A380 because of different software versions used in different countries IIRC.

They are all professionals and know how to solve such problems.

I think the PR people are getting paid well.

http://www.combataircraft.net/video/f35.php

To whom it may concern,

Well I can't wait for our Navy to take delivery and once again be able to defend itself!

and others, If the Falklands kicked off again we're buggered...

Hope we scrap the B go for the C so we can have more then one type of plane for our CVF and make it a proper Carrier and not a ski resort...

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Alright, this question is inspired by Saitek statement:

In a world first for a manufactured simulation controller, the X65F’s stick does not move; instead, like those found in real modern fighter jets, it responds to pressure that you exert on the handle

Regarding F-35, is its stick a tensometric one? And what's more important, is it a motionless one?

Same question goes for Raptor's controls.

• 1 month later...

Far too expensive, I remember the early years of this program,(wasnt that a loooong time ago), it was supposed to be more or less an f16 replacement, cheap, exportable, expendable---wtf happened?? Stealth will be a waste of time by the time this thing is in service and if any brit seriously thinks UK. LTD. has enough money left to buy 2 carriers and a load of these things to go on em

Sukhois are a bargain, dontcha know :smilewink:

Stealth a waste of time?

Elaborate that please.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Why does they make a fancy commercial for such stuff?

It's not like someone thinks: "that one looks cooool!!! let's buy and pimp it!" :D

F-35 with neon, 22" rims and overpriced speaker system...

It's a product for sale in the market place. It competes against other offerings. In the grand scheme of things, with so many dollars in potential sales at stake, spending a few bucks on some promotional material is a no-brainer.

You have to remember, not everyone involved with the decisions related to purchasing are jet jocks. You have government weenies of both the elected and appointed kind that have their hands on the purse strings too. A bit of eye candy and techno-babble can help make the difference with them (sad to say...).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

because anyone who is rich enough to actually threaten america and its allies militarily will soon have stuff like this...........http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,157743,00.html

....oh yes they sure will:megalol:

... and promptly find out how impractical and useless it is. Countries are making MORE stealth planes, not less. Think they'd be doing it still if there was an 'easy counter'?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced the F-35 is the swansong of the manned fighter and in fact the "lost generation fighter". The true next generation fighter is an UCAS, isn't it? "5th generation" is just an LM marketing trick.

Let's try to make this case (don't take it too seriously though ;-):

- the F-35 has the pilot in an entirely wrong place: IN the aircraft. For gods sake. This means you are tossing around a person at 9 G's, with all negative impact this has on SA, while you can easily put him in a comfortable armchair as thousands of lockon pilots prove every day.

- The whole Idea that you send this valuable man into highly defended enemy airspace for sead missions totally escapes me. What about sending missiles into this airspace? Sounds like a better useful payload/gross weight ratio to me! Sending the pilot with the weapons package is like our version of Taliban tactics. Werner Von Braun had a better understanding decades ago.

- This guy in the cockpit takes away valuable space for armamant anyway, and if it goes wrong you can go search him, with all risks involved!

- OK, the F-35 screen is somewhat bigger than the ones in current fighter aircraft. Have you compared this laughably crammed screen with the screens a predator crew can use, while nipping a hot chocolate from a comfortable seat?

- Isn't it chrystal clear that the predator outfit is only the beginning (like technicolor was the beginning of color movies), and that a true next generation UCAS will provide crews with ACMI/AWACS like tactical screens? Talk about SA then!

- The F-35 costs so much that the UK will eventually only be able to buy about 50. Think about how many UAV's you can build with that money!

- With the fuel the F-35 burns on taking off, your UAV will fly a complete 16 hour mission.

- there currently would be a bandwidth problem if one were to try to send the plenty of information in the F-35 cockpit over a secure network. But that is a false problem:

a. There is an even greater bandwith problem IN the cockpit of the F-35 between the information system and the poor pilot, who will have to be superhuman to be able to process that info at supersonic speed. An UAV is managed by a crew of 3. And you can easily fill the room with ten if it gets interesting.

b. an all UAS approach would divide those complex tasks over many more airframes, so that bandwidth issues can be spread.

- How many flight hours did you all have, at your PC in Lockon? In my case, it must be several thousands. Try to do this in a real F-35 cockpit, and pay the bill!

- whereas Reaper and UCAS-D are 100% next generation aircraft built with todays technology, the F-35 is an attempt to cram into a 20st century concept a myriad of 21st century technologies. Its like packaging the future in the past. This hybrid will be overcomplex, utterly unreliable, difficult to sustain and will miss all the real advantages of the new technologies.

- If you were to try to simulate what you can do in the next UAS systems in a real aircraft, you will have a very poor and limited "simulation".

So, I rest my case: the true future of fighter aviation are we, the virtual pilots. WE are the 5th generation crowd :D

The F-35 is a last effort of a dying industry that tries to sell us the dream of a manned fighter. They should convert to hollywood moviemaking. Or make console software or something. (to be sure: I actually like F-35, but lets say I have some questions, so "you are shooter"! :-)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]