Boot SSD not recognised in BIOS…

Is my gaming PC borked??

”may” correspond with a bios update

or may be a dead SSD 😕

Anyway - Win OS is on a Crucial SSD. BIOS was often a bit temperamental in choosing the correct boot drive, but easily fixed using the manual selection in setup.  Now the crucial drive isn’t even recognised. I used to have a back door bootable drive in the form of an old spinny disc, but that is also playing up.

Any advice on how to asses / fix?

first thought was to buy a SATA to USB adapter and plug the drive into a spare computer to see if I can retrieve any files / look at boot files

(it’s many generation of Windows since I looked at boot files - was it config.sys and boot.ini??)

try this you can load it from memory on the faulty PC and see if you can see the drive:

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

You are aware of CSM and SafeBoot ?

I bet if you work those two paramters your drive(s) will show up again.

If CSM is disabled and SafeBoot enabled you will likely not see all drive options to boot from. Kinda bites the Win11 idea.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If the drive is found by the Bios you have an option to boot from it as default.

If the drive does not show up directly among the drive(s) you can choose from you will for most Bios' have to change order of the HDD/SDD in a Submenu right in the Boot Settings Tab.

There, you should see all bootable drives listed per Boot-Entry and you have to set yours to the top of one of the entries and then choose that entry as the default boot drive.

Since CSM and SafeBoot change the way the PC boots, presents disks to the screen and as boot option it is not as trivial as it was in the past. To boot any non-signed/insecure device you have to have CSM enabled, otherwise it wont even show up. With USB Tools that is a common issue as you have to boot under CSM to have all tools available to boot into ( Linux tools and older Windows ).

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

you said a BIOS update might have done this? if so can you revert the BIOS version? also is the M.2 in a hyper M.2 slot?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2