DLDSR will it work with VR?

Turbohamster

Good question to ask.  I’ve not seen anything on the subject as yet.

In addition, I’m looking to understand if it will replace the requirement for MSAA or similar.

on a positive note, it lands today.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Good question to ask.  I’ve not seen anything on the subject as yet.
In addition, I’m looking to understand if it will replace the requirement for MSAA or similar.
on a positive note, it lands today.

This should be good for DCS if it works. Basically a free VR supersampling at the driver’s level with little cost via AI. The tensor cores are now becoming more useful besides ray tracing and DLSS.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Hello Lads,....

as far as I understand the article on the Nvidia homepage, I doubt that it will be helpful in VR.
This is what the actiavtion options in the Nvidia CP look like:

nvidia-control-panel-dldsr-configuration.png

• Like 1

My System: Full Scale Huey SimPit

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR

Well I think that I've enabled DLDSR in my Nvidia settings.  Didn't appear to do anything in VR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I'm sure fholger is going to dissect this capability

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Native res will likely be better for DCS due to the idea that any time you use any AA or SS technique you're either interpolating data that isn't there or you're scaling data that is there...  Because of that you can only lose or change data relative to where you started...  And in both cases you can only reduce your ability to spot the enemy.  You either miss them with AA or blur/camouflage them with SS (once it's scaled down).

At least that's how I see it...

It of course looks nice...  For sure...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I played with this for a bit.  The DSR option disappears whenever SteamVR is on, so I'm not sure it's working correctly.

Anyway, I've been using this latest (and greatest) VR performance kit from fholger. 

GitHub - fholger/vrperfkit: VR Performance Toolkit

The image quality is very good with NIS 0.88 and sharpening 0.2 on my setup, gained a few extra fps.  I think the visual clarity in the focal zone is just about as good as it gets on my Vive Pro 2, but I'm waiting for the Varjo Aero to prove me wrong.

• Like 2

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

There is currently seems to be no way to use this in VR.  The way you use it in 2D is to select the DL DSR resolutions as shown in the screenshot above, then go down to "Change Resolution" under display and select the DL virtual resolution.

In VR there's no way to 'select' the DL resolution -- so until Nvidia adds the option in the driver or provides API stuff so third parties (like fholger or SteamVR itself) can enable it for VR, we're probably out of luck.

• Like 2

I don't think it'll work for vr, in the same way that Nvidia has a separate function for dlss and vrdlss.

Speaking of which, is it even possible to incorporate vrdlss to the DCS engine? My experience of dlss is that it took my FPS in cyberpunk from 50ish up 90ish with almost zero loss of image quality.  That sort of uptick could be a massive boon for DCS vr but I believe that the engine has to profiled to work with it; as it's so old it might not actually be possible?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I watched a few comparison videos on YouTube, and unfortunately it does not look like it’ll be good for VR.  DLDSR at current iteration produces significant aliasing artifacts (jagged edges and shimmering) which will be more pronounced in VR as the image is right in your face.  DLSS would be much better suited for DCS with superior antialiasing, but probably won’t happen because ED doesn’t like proprietary technology.

Edited by Supmua

On 1/15/2022 at 2:36 PM, Xtorris said:

Rather than submitting the requisite files/information, to enable DLSS in DCS, they'd rather work on VOIP integration that no one wants, or asked for. 

Nah...  Useless proprietary crap.  Bad for the consumer.  ED has the right stance on this.  You can't see that though.  The industry needs more competition not less.  AMD's solution is not proprietary.  It works on AMD and Nvidia GPU's and is just as good or close enough that unless you're benchmarking it doesn't matter.  It promotes competition where it matters.  GPU speed but not proprietary features.  I've been watching the GPU wars unfold for long enough that I've realized AMD's approach to allowing their solutions to beneefit everyone is better...  for everyone...

Also...  Built in VOIP will be huge.  You can't see that either but it doesn't matter.  It will be.  Oh and I think I asked for it so...  Yeah...  Swing and a miss eh?

• Like 2

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

16.01.2022 в 02:29, havok2 сказал:

I just used this openvr „hack“ to enable a feature like this. I use this on most of my vr games even with an 3090. Try it, its easy to setup.

I think Vrperfkit from the same author is a better choice right now, at least because it works both with openVR and Oculus presenters, so having Oculus you don't need to switch to less performing openVR to use the upscaling. It has NIS, CAS and FSR. It also has VRS but it doesn't seem to be supported by DCS, at least it didn't work for me 🙂