KA50 Engine start failure after mission edition

slyvenne

Hello,

Abstract : I have an issue with the engine start up of KA50. This happen after editing the mission containing KA50 client slot. These modifications are not linked to the KA50.

Context:

My team fly on a training mission for every helicopter. The previous mission (multi_training_06_V2.53.miz) work perfectly.

We have updated the mission From multi_training_06_V2.53.miz To multi_training_06_V2.54.miz. This update consist to add some ground units.

The Issue:

On the multi_training_06_V2.54.miz, we find the following issue:

For every Ka50 client slot, the engines do not start properly (the engine go to 25%RPM then shut down). The APU start properly. The issue is met by 4 players of my team.

We tried these actions without succes:

-Start the engine from the other side.

-Use a Ka50 slot from a different airport with an other direction magnetic parking start direction.

-Delete all Ka50 dans create new ones on the mission.

We have found this issue in an other mission a few month ago (We had to remap all the mission from the beggining because wa find it at the first try so no mission back up file).

Can you please give us some help to identify what generate this issue?

The miz file (_53 good and _54 bad) are in attached files.

Thanks for your help

Slyvenne

multi_training_06_V2.53.miz multi_training_06_V2.54.miz

• Like 1

Salutations slyvenne. I compared the content of the two .miz files and I found no difference. It seems like not  a single unit was added.

I also noticed the 2.54 version shows an error during unzipping. I guess that is the source of your issue:

Edited by Flappie
wrong diagnostic.
  • Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Hello Flappie,

Thank you very much for your reply.

It's strange because there is more ground vehicules in the 54 mission (see images attached below).

Remark: the other helicopter of the mission (huey, mi8, mi24 and gazelle) work properly in the 54 mission.

Sans_titre-2.jpg

Sans_titre-1.jpg

I think I've found it: a lot of failures with a 100% probability were added. Some of them affect fuel tanks. Unzip the new .miz file, open the "mission" file, and look for failures, you'll see.

Another user had a similar issue a few days ago. I don't know what's happening...

EDIT: all failures are disabled except 2 of them: ["r_engine"]and ["l_engine"].

Edited by Flappie
  • Thanks 1

Fixed. 😉

Here's what I did:

1. Unzip faulty mission.
  2. Edit "mission" file.
  3. Look for ["enable"] = true occurences and replace them with ["enable"] = false
  4. Save file and zip mission.

Do you know what could be the source of this issue? Have you anything else than the mission editor to edit your mission?

fix.miz

Hi Flappie,

I am playing in the same team than Slyvenne. I am the mapper.

So after many check, regarding the failures, it seems that there is a bug in the editor... let me explain what I did:

-I took the mission with ka50 failure, go to ka50 group to check failures and get this empty table:

unknown.png

If I look at every aircraft on the airport, it is the same, I don't see the table with the failures.

So I manage on a unique Uh-1 to change it to player then IA then player then "client" (multiplayeur). When I performe this, at a point, the failures table appear.

I go back to the ka50, and the table is shown, I see no failures on, but I click the left bouton to set failures, then reset it with the right one, reset failures.

On our last check after saving these changes, the ka50 did start perfectly.

Just to confirm, we had never touch anything about failures from the begginning on the miz file...

I keep you informed if we discover more about this....

Edited by kiwikiller
  • Thanks 1

Hey. Yes, I saw the same thing in another user's mission a few days ago, but I cannot find thread. The symptoms were the same: nothing to see in the ME, but failures were written in the "mission" file. See my fixed mission above, it works.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Do you know what could be the source of this issue? Have you anything else than the mission editor to edit your mission

I am only using DCS editor to edit the mission.

Which soft do you use to edit the mission file?

Edited by kiwikiller

Just a quick thought.

I believe that something “might” have changed on the KA50 in the last few months as my previous cold start procedure also resulted in the engine not spoiling past 25%.

Normally I’d have got to the engine start, initiated that and the continued to start various electrical systems.

I found that I had to pause once I’d initiated engine start, until they spooled up past 25%, and THEN start powering the weapons, ABRIS etc.

give it a try

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

1 hour ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Just a quick thought.

I believe that something “might” have changed on the KA50 in the last few months as my previous cold start procedure also resulted in the engine not spoiling past 25%.

Normally I’d have got to the engine start, initiated that and the continued to start various electrical systems.

I found that I had to pause once I’d initiated engine start, until they spooled up past 25%, and THEN start powering the weapons, ABRIS etc.

give it a try

My tests were made with autostart.

And here's proof:

image.png

I've just found the thread I was talking about. It dealt with the Mi-8 losing its tail rotor controls after a few minutes in the game:

So I've made a quick test: I opened one of my own old mission (2018) in which the "failures" section was empy.  I simply changed the clouds settings, then saved it. I compared both "failures" sections: the 2022 version is empty as well.

Maybe this issue only happens when editing an old mission with active failures.

Are you guys used to set failures in your missions?

Edited by Flappie

Do you happen to have all previous versions of your mission? We could learn when failures appeared. In v2.53, all declared failures are disabled, but they are in the file nonetheless.

I've just created a fresh mission with the latest OB: the "failures" section is empty:

["failures"] = 
    {
    }, -- end of ["failures"]

Thanks.

It appears failures were there from the start, even though they were disabled (1.0 to 1.4).

Then failures were all deleted (1.5, 1.6, 1.7).

They came back later, although still disabled (1.8, 1.9, 2.0).

Then two failures (left and right engines) were activated (2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.52).

These two failures were disabled in 2.53, then re-activated in 2.54.

We have 3 mysteries to solve, now:

1. Why doesn't the ME show these failures, disabled or not, since they are stored in the file?
  2. How did these failures come in the initial 1.0 mission?
  3. How two of these failures get activated in 2.2 mission?

I'll ask devs about question 1.

Can you answer questions 2 or 3?

Hi,

No idea about how it get in initial version 1.0 .... I absolutly don't remember using the failure tool (It was the first time I saw this failure table, when looking to solve the issue).

Same Answer for 2.2, this is mad.

The only point that I can mention, is that we think that the first time the issue appear to us (at 2.1), Slyvenne just added a script on his dcs editor (so on an other computer) and save it at 2.1. Then I did edit some version before we realised something was wrong.

I use stable, I think slyvenne too for editing?

We have test again this CSAR script, and it don't seem to be the origine of the issue, as it is now re-included in the mission without issues.