To Steam...or not to Steam

santinif4

Hello all, still new to this and was wanting to add some aircraft during this Winter sale when I noticed that they all (I think all) had a statement "Steam incompatible" on them!? 

I have the Steam version of DCS (although I really would have preferred avoiding Steam) because as I recall I had to get some special version of DCS (was it Beta or Steam I can't recall) way back when the F-16C came out in order to use it. Does that sound right? At any rate, is there a way to convert to nonSteam? Can I keep my current login ID etc if I do? If I stay Steam where/how do I get the modules on your site?

Thanks!

On 1/8/2022 at 12:01 AM, santinif4 said:

If I stay Steam where/how do I get the modules on your site?

Thanks!

If you stick to the steam version, you have to buy all the modules from steam as well. Modules bought from ED Shop won´t work with steam.
Any modules bought in the steam store can be converted to the standalone version though.

I have been using the steam version for a long time. I have yet to encounter a module that would be incomatible. 
As with the standalone version, some modules might require the beta client though.
Im steam, you can rightclick on the DCS entry and there is a tab called "beta participation" or something like that. There you can change the steam version to the beta client.

Standalone version is better to use:
    You have access to two week FREE trial on any module

You can buy stuff direct from Eagle Dynamics, ED get more money AND you get bonus points to earn a discount later on when buying stuff

You get a 50% discount on your first purchase from Eagle Dynamics (standalone)

You can buy stuff on steam and transfer it to standalone

You cannot buy stuff from ED and transfer it to steam

You can control better which build of DCS you fly with using standalone

Steam and standalone can play together in MP (as long as they are using the same build version eg release or openbeta)
How to transfer from steam https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/223750/view/2873815732584411725

• Like 1

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:16 PM, Eugel said:

As with the standalone version, some modules might require the beta client though.

New modules are first introduced in the beta version. After some time (can be weeks) stable version get updated to the current beta buid and only then these new modules can be played on stable too. Stable meaning release DCS version here - wherever it is from - ED standalone or Steam.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

1 minute ago, draconus said:

New modules are first introduced in the beta version. After some time (can be weeks) standalone version get updated to the current beta buid and only then these new modules can be played on standalone too. Standalone meaning release app version here - wherever it is from - ED or Steam.

Isn’t it easier to refer to the release version as “Stable”.

Then we have Steam Stable and Beta versions 

and ED Standalone Stable and Beta Versions

• Thanks 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

50 minutes ago, draconus said:

New modules are first introduced in the beta version. After some time (can be weeks) standalone version get updated to the current beta buid and only then these new modules can be played on standalone too. Standalone meaning release app version here - wherever it is from - ED or Steam.

No, with "standalone" I meant the ED/non-steam version.

1 hour ago, Baldrick33 said:

Isn’t it easier to refer to the release version as “Stable”.

Then we have Steam Stable and Beta versions 

and ED Standalone Stable and Beta Versions

Yes, of course, somehow I lost this word, thx 🙂

@Eugel I know. I wanted to explain because no module needs beta specificaly atm.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 12:01 AM, santinif4 said:

Hello all, still new to this and was wanting to add some aircraft during this Winter sale when I noticed that they all (I think all) had a statement "Steam incompatible" on them!? 

I have the Steam version of DCS (although I really would have preferred avoiding Steam) because as I recall I had to get some special version of DCS (was it Beta or Steam I can't recall) way back when the F-16C came out in order to use it. Does that sound right? At any rate, is there a way to convert to nonSteam? Can I keep my current login ID etc if I do? If I stay Steam where/how do I get the modules on your site?

Thanks!

Well, good people have already answered and said all Pro & Cons ... when I decided to get the DCS "vanilla" version, I wanted to download it from the official site first but my connection is not so fast and I was afraid that maybe the connection could break before I take it all; so I decided on the Stem version, and not knowing about the problem of "incompatibility" of the models ... I don't know, maybe later I'll "hang on to the peg" Steam version and try to download the standalone ...

Asus m/b * i7 3770 * 16GB RAM * nVidia Dual GTX 1660Ti 6GB DDR6* 2x 27" LG * T.16000M HOTAS * Logitech MX
Maybe it's better to ask for forgiveness sometimes than for permission ...