AH64 Recommended reading.

RonBall28

For those interested. Here is my list for recommended AH64 reading.

2 books from Ed Macy. A pilot in the British army flying the Longbow. First books name is Apache. The sequel is Hellfire.

Another good book which is all written in the same conflict is Dressed to Kill by Charlotte Madison. Which I believe is the first time during the Afghanistan conflict that a helicopter went Winchester (Out of all ammunition). This follows a female British AH64 pilot. 

These are all true stories with very interesting insights into flying the Apache within the Afghanistan conflict, providing danger close cover for troops on the ground!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RonBall28 said:

For those interested. Here is my list for recommended AH64 reading.

2 books from Ed Macy. A pilot in the British army flying the Longbow. First books name is Apache. The sequel is Hellfire.

Another good book which is all written in the same conflict is Dressed to Kill by Charlotte Madison. Which I believe is the first time during the Afghanistan conflict that a helicopter went Winchester (Out of all ammunition). This follows a female British AH64 pilot. 

These are all true stories with very interesting insights into flying the Apache within the Afghanistan conflict, providing danger close cover for troops on the ground!

You might be interested in Apaches over Libya. Once agains it’s British pilots but operating from a royal naval vessel, the first time that Apaches have undertaken operations in a maritime role.

8 hours ago, WobblyFlops said:

Ed Macy's book is highly exaggerated and full of hyperbole. It's a fun read but don't believe anything he says about the technical aspects of the aircraft without verifying with a reputable SME or with the TM.

I haven't read the second book but there are a handful of things in the first that left me wondering "who told him this?" The biggest one being a claim that the angular nature of the AH-64 was because it included some shaping to reduce radar cross section. I don't think that was even considered as feasible back in the AAH program days.

Edited by MoarDakka

1 hour ago, vvm13 said:

We have several British books. But where are the American books? I could not find.

Before I transitioned I read Pale Horse, it's focused more about the BN Cdr's experience. I liked it, not so much ins and outs of just he AH but has some info about it.  Either way I liked the book.  

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, kgillers3 said:

Before I transitioned I read Pale Horse, it's focused more about the BN Cdr's experience. I liked it, not so much ins and outs of just he AH but has some info about it.  Either way I liked the book.  

I know guys that were in that task force under that BN Commander, and they said he spent the entire deployment more focused on writing his book than actually commanding the task force.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

1 minute ago, Raptor9 said:

I know guys that were in that task force under that BN Commander, and they said he spent the entire deployment more focused on writing his book than actually commanding the task force.

That sucks if that's true, still enjoyed the book though. 

3 hours ago, vvm13 said:

We have several British books. But where are the American books? I could not find.

If looking for official reading:

FM 1-112 Attack Helicopter Operations

FM 3-04.126 Attack Reconnaissance Helicopter Operations

FM 3-04 Army Aviation

There are more like these; search for "army attack helicopter operations" and you can get a whole lot of info out there.

If looking for non-gov't publications:

Apache AH-64 Boeing (McDonnell Douglas) 1976–2005 (Osprey Publishing)

AH-64 Apache Units of Operations Enduring Freedom & Iraqi Freedom (Osprey Publishing)

On 1/7/2022 at 6:17 AM, Salvin49 said:

Anyone have a source to buy the Audiobook for Apache by Ed Macy?  Audible seems to not be working for this book.

Even called the publisher, they said they lost the rights to it.  Bummer

Audible got Hellfire if it has any interest. I just bought it a couple of days ago and am still to start listening to it. 

I got the kindle book for Apache but sadly the 'read loud' function isn't worth much in my opinion as the voice is so mechanical and robotic to listen to - at least on my Ipad Kindle app. 

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

I got both for Christmas!

I just read Apache over Libya, and I recommend it. From a mission creators point of view it is pure inspiration regarding how to set up a mission, what targets to use and so forth. It was a quick read too, without leaving me, the reader, with the feeling that there could be more. It´s more like the book is on point with a minimum of embellishments.

I haven't read "We Own The Night" from cover to cover yet, but I think it is more of a picture book than anything you read for the facts. A lot of nice photos of the Apache. It´s made by/for Boeing, so I get the feeling that it´s more of a PR Giveaway thing than a book for people who want to know more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ironious said:

Maybe the -10.

I'm sorry, were they asking about a dry technical manual that may or may not apply depending on if they have the right -10. Or were they looking for things that the platform has done? Good comment though. 

Edited by kgillers3

2 hours ago, Ironious said:

I don't know if it's legal though. Seems the DoD would be all over it if still classified.

The vast, vast majority of documentation regarding aircraft, even modern ones that are depicted in DCS isn't classified and never was. Classified manuals can't leave the vault, so in practice they are much more difficult to study from and there is pretty tight regulation around their handling and the entire process costs money. So things that are only classified if the informaton they contain can cause damage to national security. Tactical manuals, exact performance figures and limitations for weapons or sensors, EW stuff.

However, just because something isn't classified it doesn't necessarily mean that it's legally available. ITAR is one of the well known issues and it can affect manuals from the 70s or even earlier. There's no FOIA equivalent, it doesn't have to contain actually damaging information and usually it applies to very old manuals as well. The -10 is an export controlled item under ITAR, therefore it's illegal to download or host. And the forum has additional regulations about ITAR restricted items, any information that is only available in one of these documents (and there's no other legally available source) cannot be shared or discussed. Not being classified doesn't even come remotely close to the level of hurdles you have to go through to legally access documentation.

vor 14 Stunden schrieb WobblyFlops:

The -10 is an export controlled item under ITAR, therefore it's illegal to download or host.

So is there a legal way to get a copy of it for the Longbow? I mean you can find some download links if you search for it but I would rather stay on the legal site. Some popular web shops sell legal versions for the A but I couldn't find a legal D so far.

1 hour ago, Wychmaster said:

So is there a legal way to get a copy of it for the Longbow? I mean you can find some download links if you search for it but I would rather stay on the legal site. Some popular web shops sell legal versions for the A but I couldn't find a legal D so far.

I'm not a lawyer or legal expert, the limited things I know about the dangers of ITAR is stuff I have to know for my job and it's mainly to allow us to stay safe. In general, ITAR restricted material cannot be exported or acquired by non US persons or persons without valid certifications. So if you're a US person (citizen or company) you may be able to legally access the manual. Now whether or not anything will actually happen if you download this from the internet regardless is a different question that's probably best not even discussed on this forum.