Varjo Aero Compatibility

Maksim Savelev

Hello everyone! Just received my Varjo Aero yesterday. Today was struggling whole day making it work. Unfortunately, some weird distortion are happening during running of DCS. They are not the same, this headset is known for, those are seen in native software and games from steam running in SteamVR. Varjo base software supports both OpenVR and OpenXR runtime. Previously  I was running DCS using HP reverb G2 and running SteamVR for WMR headset application. I was also using a reprojection mode preferring high graphics settings with my RTX3090.  Now I’m starting DCS and I don’t know what kind of runtime it’s using. In fact I’m getting some weird distortion, like those normal ones but several times amplified and twisted I guess. Does someone have any advice on this?

Edited by Maksim Savelev

You may be the first in here to actually have an Aero.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Still hoping to find an answer. It’s too much hype around this Aero headset, but I still don’t find it worth it. Those distortions are killing immersion of simulation despite an extra clarity around center. And there is no edge to edge clarity whatsoever as some YouTubers say.

And there are youtube videos out of reviewers saying the edge to edge clarity is excellent so who knows.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

@Maksim Savelev- If you have discord it might be worth asking over at the 'Varjo Gamers Club' discord. You can find it here

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, VPC WarBRD-D Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, Thrustmaster HOTAS Throttle, VPC ACE Interceptor PedalsVKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset, Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, & TrackIR

Group: DCAF (Now Left, but a great group to be apart of - UK Based)

I can't help, but one would expect - and demand - that for the insane price tag and annual fee that they would have 24/7 phone support. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

2 hours ago, DerekSpeare said:

I can't help, but one would expect - and demand - that for the insane price tag and annual fee that they would have 24/7 phone support. 

There is no annual fee with the Aero device. But yeah even still they should have a good support line. That is one thing that concerns me, don't think I have seen any support forums for the Aero customers. Much info can be shared on them.

• Like 1

Don B

Varjo Discord may be the way.

Good luck, please let us know.

Edited by krostar

AMD Ryzen 5800x3D, MB Asus Dark Hero, 64GB DDR4 PC3200, Nvidia RTX 4090 Asus, SSD NVMe 2TB WD SN850, Varjo Aero, Winwing Orion 2, Windows 10

LOMAC survivor

Are you talking about the force eye recovery tool option?  If so, delete the old <headset name>.lua in the Saved Games\DCS.openbeta first so the option will appear again when you restart the game.  I suspect the settings from your old headset might be at play here.  When switching headsets, it's better to delete all the settings or even files from the previous one to prevent cross contamination.

Once there're more DCS people with the Aero there'll be more info about optimal settings, etc.  Until then it's just a guessing game for people who don't have the headset or trials and errors for you.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

Are you talking about the force eye recovery tool option?  If so, delete the old <headset name>.lua in the Saved Games\DCS.openbeta first so the option will appear again when you restart the game.  I suspect the settings from your old headset might be at play here.  When switching headsets, it's better to delete all the settings or even files from the previous one to prevent cross contamination.

Once there're more DCS people with the Aero there'll be more info about optimal settings, etc.  Until then it's just a guessing game for people who don't have the headset or trials and errors for you.

Interesting - thought I would have a look at mine as I have had a few headsets hooked up lately - I see only one option lua (other than presets) but none with a headset name.

Don B

5 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

hmm bizarre... All of mine are clearly named after the headset name (HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset G20.lua for example)

In the Config folder right?

I have Options.lua Presets 1-4, then just an Options.lua.VR

Edited by dburne

Don B

1 minute ago, dburne said:

In the Config folder right?

I have Options.lua Presets 1-4, then just an Options.lua.VR

saved games \ DCS.openbeta folder.  not config

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

34 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

saved games \ DCS.openbeta folder.  not config

Yeah the config folder is located within the openbeta folder.

Don B

Don, it’s sort of a mod albeit an official one since you have to first enable it in the autoexec.cfg file.  You won’t have the <headset name>.lua unless you had already used the tool and made a save. 

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

15 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Don, it’s sort of a mod albeit an official one since you have to first enable it in the autoexec.cfg file.  You won’t have the <headset name>.lua unless you had already used the tool and made a save. 

Ah ok that must be why then thanks.

Don B

OP, can you confirm the online requirement for the Aero?  People are saying that the default headset is shipped in a locked state which requires online authentication every 48 hours for normal operations. This might piss off a few people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supmua said:

OP, can you confirm the online requirement for the Aero?  People are saying that the default headset is shipped in a locked state which requires online authentication every 48 hours for normal operations. This might piss off a few people.

seen this on varjo website...

Varjo Aero

When setting up Varjo Aero for the first time, you will need an internet connection to log in with your Varjo Account. Choose “Remember me” on the login screen to avoid having to log in every time. After logging in, you can use the headset without an internet connection.

Varjo Base will periodically ask you to log in again, at which point you will again need an internet connection.

Not sure what periodically means...

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

That is really no different than others - Oculus - er Facebook requires logging in as well.

Don B